mosquito larvae as food?

Distaff

Netted out some larvae from the reservoirs that keep my plants watered in this blazing summer heat.   The two ribbon tail girls were excited for an extra feeding, but didn't seem to even recognise the larvae.  They were really small. 

Maybe it is an acquired taste?  I tried daphenia (sp?) for my two commons a few years ago, but couldn't keep the colony alive.  Been trying to cultivate blood worms based in the info off the Rain Garden site, and no luck so far.  We don't have a local source for frozen blood worms, and there seems to be some controversy over the freeze dried ones. 

Was considering ordering some compost worms.  However, Eisenea Foetida (sp?) is the usual product (and differs from the common North American earthworm), and I've read that it is not recommended as feed, at least for pet garter snakes.  Wish I could remember why.  Since adding them to aquaponics systems is popular, I'm guessing there is no problem feeding them to fish?

Would be convenient if I could get the fish to accept the mosquito larvae.  That *culture* seems to be pretty easy to grow.

Here is a thread on this topic from February: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/123727-mosquito-larvae/?hl=mosquito

If you don't feed your fish for a couple of days and then feed them the larvae, they will probably get hungry enough to try something new.

They just don't recognize the larvae as food.  In a goldfish community, the leader(s) typically indicate to the rest what to eat and what to reject.  I agree with fasting the the fish until they start actively searching for edibles.  The small size of the larvae makes it harder for larger fish to see them as food.   Fry with a mouth just big enough to swallow mosquito larvae grab them immediately.

Compost worms make great high-protein food for goldfish.  Some fastidious people wash them and put them in wet paper to clean them out before feeding them.  I just toss them in.  Some cut them up (this really grosses me out), but a earthworm (even one longer than the fish) has the perfect shape to go right down a goldfish throat.

If you have any bettas or keep any tropical (or other sub tropical fish) you can try the larva on them.  I know white clouds, tetra, betas, angelfish, rams, will gobble them up!

Edited by AquaAurora

Thanks.  No bettas or any other fish here, just the Goldies.  One obsession is enough!

(I follow Rachael O'Leary's site, the King of DIY guy's site, and occasionally look into what's new at Dustin's Fish Tanks.  However, our house is small, and I've already got three BIG glass vivs in there.) 

Gold fish work because I can shelter them in the green house during our moderate winters.

I'll leave off on the larvae, and get some worms. 

Thanks.  No bettas or any other fish here, just the Goldies.  One obsession is enough!

(I follow Rachael O'Leary's site, the King of DIY guy's site, and occasionally look into what's new at Dustin's Fish Tanks.  However, our house is small, and I've already got three BIG glass vivs in there.) 

Gold fish work because I can shelter them in the green house during our moderate winters.

I'll leave off on the larvae, and get some worms. 

Oo what do you have in your vivariums (fauna wise)?  I originally got what is now my goldfish tank to be a large vivarium for either Dendorbates tinctorius or Dendorbates aurtaus (kept ping-ponging on which to get), planned to grow emersed aquatic plants in there, have a shallow water source and lots of ghostwood or manzanita... but my 55g sprung a leak and I used the tank(40g breeder) for a temp tank while de-siliconing then re-siliconing the 55g.  Then kinda never got around to setting it up for frogs. I got everything except the microfauna and the frogs..

Edited by AquaAurora

Cornsnake and Rosy boa in two Exo-Terras, and a Desert kingsnake in a large aquarium.  I really, really want to add a Boa constrictor!  The corn and king have beautiful, lush planted vivs.  The rosy viv is still a work in progress, but she doesn't seem to mind.  (She is out perched on her branch now, looking very elegant.)   I'm working with New England Herpetoculture for her supplies.  Josh's frogs is a good source too, and for pure flora eye candy, I like to browse Black Jungle.

Dart frog people seem to have the best vivs.  I enjoy lurking on Dendroboard, but the site has too many ads, and my computer doesn't run well when I'm on it.  Too bad, some awesome extended geekey discussions, and endless photos to drool over.  I also like the Caudata.org site, but the NM summer temps are too hot here to easily accommodate salamanders - they need cool temps.

Someday, I'd like to get some dart frogs, but that is a ways down the road.  Would love to see some pics if you revisit that project and finally get some!

Edited by Distaff