What is this?

So I posed this in one of the fish threads as something growing WITH my algae, this white fleck things stuck on my wall...

kLCjeAD.jpg?1

Someone said to suck it into my Python, so I did suck up everything I could see after wiping it off the tank, but of course after sucking out and adding water, I see THIS!

xhjZ3pT.jpg?1

This photo doesn't even do it justice the amount of this white stuff floating in it. Is it a fungus?? Are my fish safe??

Even my plants started growing this BLACK HAIR algae... do I need to toss them?  :yawn

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys...

It is technically "in front" of a window, but the blinds stay closed. As my babies are still young/small and growing I have the HOB filter that came with my Tetra tank, its the Tetra Whisper 30. I've been doing 50% 2 times a week at this point. 

Hmm.. Lisa, never had to do that before. I have a val, and java fern, and something else I'm not sure the name of. lol

Black brush algae is horrible to deal with. I wouldn't bother bleaching the plants since there are more effective methods. The first and easiest method is just to remove any effected leaves. If that's not possible, I would treat them with hydrogen peroxide (note the vals will probably melt with whatever method you use, but they will bounce back). Remove the plants and place them in a bucket of water, grab a little syringe, squirt the peroxide onto the algae while the leaves are under the water and watch as it dies. Usually it will turn a pink colour and wither away completely in a few hours/days.

As for the white stuff, I have no idea. Is there any noticeable improvement if you do a 100% water change?

Edited by dan in aus

Certainly remove the plants and treat as Dan recommended.

Your tank clearly has a problem to look so dirty when you do 50% water changes twice a week.  Please answer these questions to help us figure out why.   Test both tank and tap water now rather than report previous readings.

Please answer:

•  

• * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  •  Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  •  Water temperature?
  • Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

What do you feed your fish and how often?

What kind of water additives or conditioners?

• Admin

I would like you to try something... I been doing with my tank since it does get direct sun...

I would like you to find some Colloidal Silver.. It can be the 10ppm you can find at any health store....

then I would like you to place right into the tank, 8 drops of it in the tank... Let it be :)

Your tank clearly has a problem to look so dirty when you do 50% water changes twice a week.  Please answer these questions to help us figure out why.   Test both tank and tap water now rather than report previous readings.

Please answer:

•  

• * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
  •  Water temperature?

Okay, I will do this this afternoon - it doesn't STAY having all this stuff floating around, after I turn the filter on after my water change it seems to disappear over night into the filter at least, but dang. I agree!

I'll fill this out after I re-test this afternoon.

I would like you to try something... I been doing with my tank since it does get direct sun...

I would like you to find some Colloidal Silver.. It can be the 10ppm you can find at any health store....

then I would like you to place right into the tank, 8 drops of it in the tank... Let it be :)

Very interesting - I need to order it on Amazon since I can't drive after my neck incident. lol

Will this work? Sovereign Silver Bio-Active Silver Hydrosol for Immune Support - 10 ppm, 2oz...

Edited by shelbysfish

• Admin

Please answer:

•  

• * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
  •  Water temperature?

Okay, I will do this this afternoon - it doesn't STAY having all this stuff floating around, after I turn the filter on after my water change it seems to disappear over night into the filter at least, but dang. I agree!

Very interesting - I need to order it on Amazon since I can't drive after my neck incident. lol

Will this work? Sovereign Silver Bio-Active Silver Hydrosol for Immune Support - 10 ppm, 2oz...

you can or the dropper kind....

you will need a dropper.. :)

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Immunogenics-Sovereign-Bio-Active-Hydrosol/dp/B000OA6Z6O/ref=sr_1_6_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1467908380&sr=1-6&keywords=colloidal+silver

Im sorry about your neck hun :hug

I been there before :o

Please answer:

•  

• * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
  •  Water temperature?

you can or the dropper kind....

you will need a dropper.. :)

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Immunogenics-Sovereign-Bio-Active-Hydrosol/dp/B000OA6Z6O/ref=sr_1_6_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1467908380&sr=1-6&keywords=colloidal+silver

Im sorry about your neck hun :hug

I been there before :o

Ugh, its crazy!! Thank you. Glad I'm not alone. hahaha

What does this do, may I ask?

• Admin

Thats good hun... IT will rid of any bad bacteria and clears the tank :)

Atleast it did for my tank and it get sun light all afternoon :)

Thats good hun... IT will rid of any bad bacteria and clears the tank :)

Atleast it did for my tank and it get sun light all afternoon :)

Well shouldn't hurt to try it, right? :)

I'll let you guys know my water params and such this evening... Finally waking up - been sleeping all day from those stupid muscle relaxers. How can anyone take those?!?!

• Okay guys, here we go. Looks like my tap water changed params too. BUT all the floaty stuff seemed to have settled, probably into the filter. Still a little cloudy though and some stuck on tank glass with algae.
  •  
  • Ordered that stuff Koko, comes Saturday!

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 5ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) pH: 7.2ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap): .25ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap): Between 0-.25ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tap): 0ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 7.6ppm
  •  Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?: Drops, API Master Test Kit. 
  •  Water temperature?: 74-76f (varies)
  • Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?: 30gal, been running since May when I got the babies.

What do you feed your fish and how often?: 3 times a day, different things (Solient Green, blood worms, veggies, algae wafers)

What kind of water additives or conditioners?: Prime and sometimes Seachem Flourish for the plants. 

Please answer:

•  

• * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
  •  Water temperature?

Posted above, would love to get your thoughts on this madness when you get a chance. lol

• Admin

Okay hun.... Lets take a look...

This tank is next to a window... you ordered the Silver?

What is your Filters and what is in them hun... Maybe a photos so I can see :)

Okay hun.... Lets take a look...

This tank is next to a window... you ordered the Silver?

What is your Filters and what is in them hun... Maybe a photos so I can see :)

Hey Koko! :)

Thanks so much. YES - Silver just arrived today, I added 8 drops like you wanted. Maybe that'll help!

My filter at the moment was with the tank kit, its the Tetra Whisper30 on High, 50% water changes 2 days a week. I will take a picture of the filter and the inside in the morning and post them for you. Filter cartidge and sponge inside.

Thank you for your help!! I'll get the photos for you tomorrow.

• Admin

Okay hun... We are going to change that thing alittle bit okay :)

Now is that white filter floss have carbon in it?

Do you have filter floss around?

Okay hun... We are going to change that thing alittle bit okay :)

Now is that white filter floss have carbon in it?

Do you have filter floss around?

It does not have carbon in it, and I do not have filter floss around...

If I mess with it, will it crash my cycle? That poor thing took so long to happen and my readings have still been good.  :rofl

Just wiped some of the algae and white stuff off the side of the tank and then did a 65% water change and sucked the crap out of the bottom under all the rocks, and STILL end up with it looking like this as I fill it back up:

Lcq2GXr.jpg?1

Thankfully it clears back up eventually when I turn the filter back on. 

Should I add silver again, Koko?

• Admin

This looks like the filter isnt really sucking up in the tank...

How many gallons is the tank hun?

No cause what we will do is add more filter floss to the filter and take out the black dude in the back... :)