Wen Damage on my little guy....

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Chris  :hi

Moving forward, I'm going to be your point man for this thread.  I am working today, but I will read the thread again tonight and we will formulate a plan.  I will also be conferring with the others as they have a working knowledge of your case.  In the meantime, can you make me one, concise post that lists the specific concerns you would like to address?  This thread is quite long and it would help me tremendously if you could summarize for me. :tammy:

I would also like to know if you have your water parameters stabilized.  I believe you have another thread addressing Nitrite issues?  Thanks, and I look forward to chatting with you later tonight.

Regards,

Jared

• Supporter

Chris here... Hello Jared, it is nice to meet you via the virtual world... I will do the best I can to summarize....

To your question of water stability.... No it is not... I have been fighting a nitrite spike for over a month... Shakaho has worked diligently with me to get it stabilized... There is a blow by blow of our journey under "Water Condition Problems" forum, titled High Nitrites.

Under this thread Wen Damage on my little Guy... My current concern is the health of Guy's surviving tank mate Mr. Potato Head... As you can see in the thread Guy's death was sudden and cause not determined other than wen damage, the start of pine coning of the scales and death... In Less than 24 hrs of discovery... At discovery Guy was removed from the tank and kept separate from Mr. P... On that day I performed a 75% water change after he was removed from the tank, for the nitrite issues... During the remainder of the day, Mr. P began to swim aggressively on and off.. The next morning Guy ( in his hospital tub) had passed away... Mr. P ate well, but continued to swim frantically on and off all day... Shakaho suggested a 100% water change to eliminate concern about the water in the tank for Mr. P... While feeding him that evening I noticed something on his side, you can see in the pictures... I had a difficult time photographing him due to him being in a frantic swimming period... During that period he swam so aggressively that while was diving toward the bottom he smacked himself silly at the bottom of the tank... He calmed down for a while... Also that evening I noticed that his poops were no longer normal... Pictures are in the thread as well... His eating patterns nor diet have changed... Today there is some improvement in the poops... They are now light grey and more solid... The portrusion on his side is till there and the scales seam a little more defined on that side... Not lifted but more visually defined... I'm not sure I'm explaining well. :(. There might be a new white dot ( of what I cannot say) appearing on the same side... I went to look at the photos before I mentioned it... I'm not seeing in the previous photos...

There has been less frantic swimming today, he is alert and responsive... My goal is his survival and to help him thrive... Loosing Guy so quickly and not knowing the cause has me concerned about the behavioral changes as well as what has appeared on his side.

If I haven't been clear please let me know...

Thank you in advance for helping me help him... I look forward to hearing from you. :)

Edited by Chris1251

Okay, I have read through the thread and I've taken some notes.  I don't see anything terribly concerning in the text or the videos with regard to Mr. P, but I would like to gather some more information:

How many gallons is the main tank?  I didn't see this in the Form answers.

What are you using the Seachem Stressguard for, specifically?

Did you get these fish directly from ECR?  

What treatments, if any did you administer during their initial quarantine?  0.3% Salt, Prazi, etc.?

Was Guy really a Gal?  The wen damage looks like a tear rather than an infection, possibly from aggressive breeding chasing.  The death may have been partly due to some trauma to the head.  I saw the slight prickling of the scales, but I'm not convinced that was dropsy :idont

Was the Nitrite ever stable?

Edited by Jared

It's possible that Mr. P is less secure without his tankmate.  This might explain the spastic swimming.  I have a Shukin who is a total spaz and runs into stuff all the time  :doh11:

• Supporter

Okay, I have read through the thread and I've taken some notes.  I don't see anything terribly concerning in the text or the videos with regard to Mr. P, but I would like to gather some more information:

How many gallons is the main tank?  I didn't see this in the Form answers.

What are you using the Seachem Stressguard for, specifically?

Did you get these fish directly from ECR?  

What treatments, if any did you administer during their initial quarantine?  0.3% Salt, Prazi, etc.?

Was Guy really a Gal?  The wen damage looks like a tear rather than an infection, possibly from aggressive breeding chasing.  The death may have been partly due to some trauma to the head.  I saw the slight prickling of the scales, but I'm not convinced that was dropsy :idont:

Was the Nitrite ever stable?

LOL!!! No... Guy was a guy... Just a little younger than Mr. P... Had not had his first breeding stars yet...

Main tank is the only tank.... 20 gallons

Stress guard was used to help my boys thru the nitrite spike... I have been fighting it since June 9th... The tank finished cycling May 21st... Mr.P and guy were tank mates originally... I did not want to go thru the quarintine process for tank mates so I avoided that by purchasing them from the same tank... I bought both of them from the same person, a private owner vendor that buys them as babies, raises them and then sells them... Mr. P came home first, 5/28 as a test to the tanks cycle.... The tank remained stable... So on 6/2 Guy came home... The water remaining stable till a week later...

On 6/8 the person that I purchase them from recommend that I run carbonless in my filter, that was not required for clean clear water... I removed the carbon and 2 days later the spike began... :(

I mentioned ECR in my profile because I had been shopping her site and she recommends this forum to those new to the keeping of gold fish... I had a failure before due to my ignorance... So I have spent several months trying to be come educated before I tried again...

What else can I share???

Hmmm...so do you think some of the BBs were colonized on the carbon and removing it cause the Nitrite spike?

Hopefully, Lisa's BBs will get your cycle up and running in no time  :flex:

Are you intending on Replacing the other Ranchu?  We generally recommend 15-20 gallons per fish.

Were these fish treated for Flukes before (or after) you purchased them?  

Edited by Jared

• Supporter

The original plan was for two fish at the start... Get everything stable and growing then upgrade to a 40 when the dollar a gallon sale hit... I do not know if they were ever treated for flukes...

I'll ask Eric if he treated them for flukes... I assume it's a preventive treatment???

But as far as replacement of Guy, his death is still too new to think about that... My focus is not to loose Mr. P... For now... If I can get him to thrive, I hope to get him a tank mate.... But I assume that I will have to go thru the quarantine process when I do.... Now that time has passed... I'm just not ready for that right now... :(

Edited by Chris1251

• Supporter

Hmmm...so do you think some of the BBs were colonized on the carbon and removing it cause the Nitrite spike?

Hopefully, Lisa's BBs will get your cycle up and running in no time  :flex:

Are you intending on Replacing the other Ranchu?  We generally recommend 15-20 gallons per fish.

Were these fish treated for Flukes before (or after) you purchased them?

Jared, I contacted Eric about your flukes question... He respond yes, but I don't have a date for you... I'm waiting to here back on when the treatment was last applied...

• Supporter

Chris here... Both medicated foods arrived today... The Oxytretracline (ment for Guy :( ) and Kanamycin for the med box...

I also heard back from Eric... They were treated about a year ago for flukes....

Edited by Chris1251

Okay.  I'm not seeing any fluke related issues at this time, but we generally recommend treating for flukes with Praziquantel once or twice a year as they are difficult to eradicate.   We may want to do that once your tank has stabilized and Mr P. is less stressed.  How is he looking today?

• Supporter

Okay.  I'm not seeing any fluke related issues at this time, but we generally recommend treating for flukes with Praziquantel once or twice a year as they are difficult to eradicate.   We may want to do that once your tank has stabilized and Mr P. is less stressed.  How is he looking today?

Chris here... Is praziquantel the same as PraziPro??? The medication of SulfaPlex arrived today... Again ment for Guy...

Mr. P is not as active today.... Less frantic swimming, but that could be from having him out of the tank for his WC today... The new filter has a drip... I need to look at where the inpalor unit attaches... I had to empty the tank to protect the cabinet that it sits on... Then reassembled and re-fill the tank. It was a big job so now I need to investigate the drip... Right now there is a container under it... I will have to pull it apart tomorrow...

Shakaho had me cut his meal size down, so afar as eating he has no problem eat one bite of Repashy SG and his three sinking pellets morning and evening...

The little tag on his side seem less noticeable...

When my hands were in the tank working, he was very attentive to me... He would touch me and bump me while I was working... He seem to enjoy being gently petted... But once I put him in the pop corn bowl he pouted for a bit... His poop still isn't normal but better... I think he is a little lost without his tank mate right now...

I'm keeping a close eye on him...

As soon as I here back from Eric, I'll post it...

Is there anything else I should be doing for him???

Thank you.....

• Supporter

Prazipro is the liquid suspension of Praziquantel.  That all sounds good.  Keep us posted about the filter.  We want to keep those BBs alive and kicking!

Lisa's BB's are too precious (YUCKY!!!) to let anything happen happen to them!!! I'm soooo not letting anything happen to them...

:P

• Supporter

Okay. I'm not seeing any fluke related issues at this time, but we generally recommend treating for flukes with Praziquantel once or twice a year as they are difficult to eradicate. We may want to do that once your tank has stabilized and Mr P. is less stressed. How is he looking today?

Chris here... Jared, I heard from Eric... He treated them with salt, malafix and bumped up the tank temperature....

I also found the drip on the AC 70... It's missing the seal ring at the impeller connection... One is on its way in the mail... So I have a container ther to catch the drips... It's a slow drip so it should be ok til it gets here... I'll dump the container when I do the never ending WC's....

:)

Edited by Chris1251

Okay. I'm not seeing any fluke related issues at this time, but we generally recommend treating for flukes with Praziquantel once or twice a year as they are difficult to eradicate. We may want to do that once your tank has stabilized and Mr P. is less stressed. How is he looking today?

Chris here... Jared, I heard from Eric... He treated them with salt, malafix and bumped up the tank temperature....

I also found the drip on the AC 70... It's missing the seal ring at the impeller connection... One is on its way in the mail... So I have a container ther to catch the drips... It's a slow drip so it should be ok til it gets here... I'll dump the container when I do the never ending WC's....

:)

Okay, salt and Melafix doesn't kill flukes, so we may want to address that once the tank had stabilized.

Glad you found the problem with the filter :)

Edited by Jared

• Supporter

I also found the drip on the AC 70... It's missing the seal ring at the impeller connection... One is on its way in the mail... So I have a container ther to catch the drips... It's a slow drip so it should be ok til it gets here... I'll dump the container when I do the never ending WC's.... :)

Okay, salt and Melafix doesn't kill flukes, so we may want to address that once the tank had stabilized.

Glad you found the problem with the filter :)

Chris here again... Jared, would you educate me about "flukes"? What it is and what it looks like so that I can watch for any signs of this condition...

Thanks sooooo much:)