Listing, Barely Moving

Mikey

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Dawn :hug

I see a blister forming on his stomach near his vent almost but no raised scales. Is he starting to get dropsy? I have metroplex if we need to add it.

• Helper

Some of the team expressed concerns about the vent and I see issues in that video as well. Please get us some good closeup pictures or video of the vent and no, don't throw more meds at it right now. We may not be able to save this fish, the symptoms came on hard and rapidly, but tossing more meds at it without verifying they are needed just stresses the fish more and makes healing *less* likely. Sometimes it is called for but not always. And if you're still dosing the kanaplex you already have a pretty heavy hitter in there.

I am always more likely to combine Furan 2 with kanaplex than metro. Those two play very nicely together and make each other work better. Unfortunately nitrofuracin is ineffective at high pHs and probably wouldn't do much good here.

• Helper

Thanks Mikey - I'm going to put it on the back end and get some other opinions. Give me a full rundown of your medication selection that isn't expired right now, so we know what we have to work with if we combine a treatment with the kanamycin. If you have some that just recently expired but aren't opened please list them too, along with their expiry dates :)

Melafix, pimafix, (not sure of their expiration dates they are rubbed off but wanna say 04/2016 on the pimafix) metroplex, methylene blue, prazi, and colloidal silver.

Edited by Mikey

• Helper

Great! Helen indicated that she had seen something like this in one of her fish and resolved it with metro and Epsom. If you have done three treatments or kanaplex you can switch to metro and give that a shot next, or continue with the kanaplex, along with a standard dose of Epsom salt to decrease internal pressure that might be causing the bulging/floating and the protruding blister. Kana has to be dosed a minimum of six days but can be safely discontinued if needed from there.

I'm personally fine with you switching and we can work with another gram negative antibiotic if it doesn't respond to the metro, next. Has Blue improved at all in terms of activity or floating on the kanaplex regimen?

Great! Helen indicated that she had seen something like this in one of her fish and resolved it with metro and Epsom. If you have done three treatments or kanaplex you can switch to metro and give that a shot next, or continue with the kanaplex, along with a standard dose of Epsom salt to decrease internal pressure that might be causing the bulging/floating and the protruding blister. Kana has to be dosed a minimum of six days but can be safely discontinued if needed from there.

I'm personally fine with you switching and we can work with another gram negative antibiotic if it doesn't respond to the metro, next. Has Blue improved at all in terms of activity or floating on the kanaplex regimen?

he's still eating and still floaty. I guess he's somewhat more active? Not by much. It's only Been two days though, so today is the second dose. I'm giving him a 100% water change as I type this and then adding it in. Should I be adding the prazi still? I was unsure if you wanted both at the same time at this point.

1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon for Epsom?

He's also starting to search for his food instead of me needing to drop it in front of his face though :)

• Helper

Okay, continue doing the kanaplex for a few more days - you need six full days (three treatments) before you can switch over to metro. Dose the Epsom at 1/2 tsp per ten gallons. That should be more than enough to see an effect in any swelling.

Okay will do!

He hasn't moved since he's been in his holding bucket. He only moves from the air stone or if he wants food it seems.

He's still upright right now. Could the Epsom have helped that fast? No, right?

I was hoping you were going to say add Epsom, I was contemplating on adding it.

• Helper

I'm so glad he is upright - that's a great sign! If some swelling pressing on his swim bladder reduced he would be able to right himself, theoretically speaking.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I'm so glad he is upright - that's a great sign! If some swelling pressing on his swim bladder reduced he would be able to right himself, theoretically speaking.

and that was short lived. He's upside down again. :(

• Helper

Hey, if he could right himself you're doing pretty good. Don't panic, just keep doing the best you can and keep his water clean. It's up to him to recover and up to you to just give him the basic tools (clean water, medicine, food) to allow him to do that. And whatever happens down the road, try to make your tank a top priority in terms of cleaning. If you do nothing else do your water changes and filter servicing so we don't get these same issues again. It's easy to let slip, I know!

Hey, if he could right himself you're doing pretty good. Don't panic, just keep doing the best you can and keep his water clean. It's up to him to recover and up to you to just give him the basic tools (clean water, medicine, food) to allow him to do that. And whatever happens down the road, try to make your tank a top priority in terms of cleaning. If you do nothing else do your water changes and filter servicing so we don't get these same issues again. It's easy to let slip, I know!

okay :) and yes he did right himself again while I was watching him!

Should I change the water 100% daily and redose the Kanaplex? Or just stick with what I did where I did a "100%" water change as in just filled it for the first time and dosed the kana, and then the next day I added prime. Then the second day I drained and rinsed the tank and filled it and redosed everything.

• Helper

I'd stick to the current schedule. Kanaplex is one that is easy to overdose and the side effects aren't worth it, so unless he is struggling and the ammonia keeps building too high I would stick to every other day changes.

What you CAN do is use a little eye dropper or turkey baster to suck our and remove any poop or uneaten food so it doesn't foul the water. That will also help stretch your water changes very much.

Edited by Arctic Mama
iPhone related typos

Still upright and eating! He swam to the top before I put the food in :heart he's starting to become his old self again!

Are we going to continue with the metro for the 7 treatments or are we doing the three and going to metro?

His tail is still red and shredding a bit; all of his fins are actually.

• Helper

Kanaplex, you mean? If he is responding to the kana and improving you can continue for another few treatments. Are the finals newly shredded today or did this come on when he began his buoyancy issues?