Sign in to follow this  
Black

Googles Update

I'm starting a new thread because the other one is getting too long and I don't think anyone is really looking at it any more...

The blisters are kinda being kept at bay for now.

I've noticed that if I delay a little with water changes, they start to emerge and decrease again with clean water. I really need to work harder on my aversion to waterchanges due to my OCD, etc :(

I did a 100% change yesterday, and did the full tank of 100 litres. I added Epsom to get rid of a tiny emerging blister but I've stopped with the metronidazole for now. I think the clean water will do the job of clearing up anything that is left. I just really need to keep on top of it.

My Intention was to add 100litres of nitrate free water using my filter. Unfortunately, having not used it for so long and with me leaving it outside, I found the tube cracked and therefore unusable :(

I'm not sure if Aquaworld have stopped selling them, which makes me sad because it has been an amazing device for getting my 30ppm nitrate tap water down to 0.

My hand was forced in using tap water again yesterday. I worry because I'm wondering if Goog's long life has been down to that filter (although I haven't used it since before the recent bout of blisters). I really wanted to get into the habit of using it again :thumbdown

Any thoughts?

Pathos and bamboo doesn't make any difference for me, despite years of trying. I also seem to have the kind of water that turns the roots into mush and consequently they end up doing the water quality more harm than good.

I'm not sure I have the energy or brain power with my recent bout of illness to set up a veggie filter. I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm moving house in the next few weeks. I will look into it though, I just can't right now.

Another thing... He is really over due a prazi dose but the use by date printed on the bottle has run from water at some point. It's too smudged to make it out. It's a pretty full bottle as well. I don't know how long prazi can keep for?

I've noticed that if I delay a little with water changes, they start to emerge and decrease again with clean water. I really need to work harder on my aversion to waterchanges due to my OCD, etc :(

I did a 100% change yesterday, and did the full tank of 100 litres. I added Epsom to get rid of a tiny emerging blister but I've stopped with the metronidazole for now. I think the clean water will do the job of clearing up anything that is left. I just really need to keep on top of it.

I think you answered your own question, here.  Clean water is always the best first line of medicine :)

Yes, but actually my question was on nitrates and prazipro

To clarify... My source of clean water is heavy in nitrates... in case you didn't read that bit

If possible, I would try to get a new nitrate filter like the one you had.  That seemed to work really well for you.  I would also call the number on the Prazipro bottle and ask about the shelf life.  It's hard to say with no visible date :idont

Edited by Jared

Hi Charlie. Hope your doing well. Thanks for the update on Googs. 

Thank you Jared, that's useful to know for the future.

I think the water has smudged the product number too.

I suppose I'll just have to spend money on another bottle.

image_zpsbohhhsdi.jpeg

Hi Charlie, I just bought a new bottle of Prazi Pro and the expiry date is either September 2019 or September 2018 (the bottom half of the last number isn't clear) so I'd say if you bought it within the last 2-3 years it would be ok

I've just worked out by looking at past threads that Flipshere kindly gave me that bottle of Prazipro in Feb 2013! It's probably not in date now :(

Also, that Aquawold nitrate remover is no longer in production. I should have bought two when I had the chance and not stupidly left it outside for weeks. Sucks :(

What do I do if I ever go on holiday? I can't leave him in 30ppm nitrate for 2 weeks. It would go through the roof! :( Before, I could leave him in 0pmm and it would be around 30ppm by the time I got back which wasn't terrible.

That sucks D: Did i read something about you moving? Is it possible the tap water there wont have nitrates?

I'm only moving a minute away and I lived there before this house and it had all the same water problems :(

I'm starting to consider the veggie filter option but I don't fully understand it. Also, having a full lid on my tank is important because of the amount of hair my rabbits shed. Rabbit hair is really really light and floats high up. I'll also have to be careful about the plants I use because they will eat any leaves that shed or manage to get access to.

My bf also can't stand any kind of trickle noise from filters (although I quite like it) so I would have to make it as quiet as possible.

There's also the issue of money... A tub, tubing, pump, plants, etc would all cost.

What about trying Duck Weed out... Let it float in the tank, make a barrier so it doesnt go all over. It might help hun :)

Good suggestion Koko, but I had a load of frogbit (sp?) and water lettuce in there about a year ago and it all rotted. My water just won't let me keep any kind of aquarium plants.

I don't understand how ANYONE in my area keeps aquarium plants or fish... :mad:

I don't know what a lot of these numbers mean but I thought I would post

image_zpstumvvspd.jpeg

Edited by Black

Those are some crazy numbers hun... I got to think about this.. :o

Can you do me a fave please... Test your KH/GH and ph in tap and tank :)

They are? :o

There's a more detailed report but there's 7 pages worth.

I will start testing those things now...

Ok, brief background info:

- Last water change was 2 days ago (100% with tap water)

- For a long time now, there has been no difference between my tank and tap pH.

- However, on Wednesday it said:

Tank pH: 8.1 (the colours looked between 8 and 8.2)

Tap pH: 7.4 - 7.6

- to reduce the difference a little and to to be safe, I added gold buffer (which normally I only ever had to use after recharging my nitrate filter as apparently the recharge causes a change in kH)

Today's results:

Tank:

pH: 8 (even though it has buffer in it)

KH: 8 drops (143.2)

Tap:

pH: 7.4 - 7.6

KH: 6.5 drops (125.3 ish)

The tank is completely empty and has been for quite a while

This might sound crazy, but are there other symptoms besides eye blisters?

My celestial gets those fluid pockets on his eyes randomly. But he is in ofherwise perfect health and the tank has nothing going on. I just ignore them, honestly. If other stuff is going on we can try to address it but the fluid pockets alone are just kind of an eye variety funkiness the same way wen spots are for head growth varieties :)

Taryl, I hear what you're saying. He seems healthy in that he's upright, can wriggle all over the tank and has a monstrous appetite. Scales are also smooth, fins are unclamped and poop is good :thumb:

The things that are not so good:

- his left eye has been particularly troublesome for nearly as long as I've had him. Blisters aside, he's nearly always had a cloudy left eye. The eye as a whole often grows out of proportion in comparison to the other one. Over the past year the eye lens has started to become cloudier and has black colouration on the surface. There is also a white lump inside that moves around. It used to be fixed where his 'pupil' should be but has since come out and is loose inside the lens. It moves when he moves. This is very difficult to explain so I've drawn a rough diagram (he's refusing to pose the other way for a photo and I've recently washed my hands with soap). The lens is very protruded as well. The lens on his other eye sits flat...

image_zpsftwosl6d.jpeg

- his tail isn't in the best condition but it's not doing too badly at the moment. It's been a lot worse. I think this has to do with being in constant contact with the tank floor for nearly 5 years. I think Koko thought there was a possibility it might be carp pox but I think it was decided that it wasn't as the appearance of the white spots weren't waxy looking.

- he's slowly been developing a tumour/wart looking thing just behind his head. Helen thinks it might just be age and this is what I thought too

He's moved a little for me now. Here is a glimpse of the lumpy thing I was trying to explain. It moves around inside his eye lens like a marble in a jar.

image_zpsqfutkxap.jpeg

image_zpsnqt8r2yq.jpeg

This shows how much it protrudes compares to his other eye lens:

image_zpstx9afpwh.jpeg

And this is the tumour/wart things behind his head

image_zps5rkxfb8r.jpeg

Unless you guys think these things need treating, or are a sign of something serious I'm not overly concerned. I just thought I would do an update

:hi Charlie and Googles (and buns)! :D 

Can you take the broken tube around to hardware stores and find something else that will fit onto your nitrate filter properly?  There are no parts circulating around on ebay?