Sign in to follow this  
Butterfly

Dragon eye oranda!

I found this guy in my local pond shop!  I believe a dragon eye oranda (or I'm a fool and bought a fish with symmetrical pop eye :whistle ).   I was pretty excited. :happydance  Had no intention of another oranda but he was so funky looking just could not pass him (or her) up.  Sorry the pictures aren't the best but check him out!  He's a little banged up, a few minor torn fins and some burns but looks in pretty good shape.  Body is at least 3.5 inches.  I have a 75g in the garage that I will eventually switch out with the 75 in my dining room but it will be his quarantine for now.  Very responsive and friendly right out of the bag!  

Bag shot:

IMG_1235.JPG

Body shots:

IMG_1247.JPG

IMG_1241.JPG

IMG_1248.JPG

Top:

IMG_1258.JPG

Face:

IMG_1264.JPG

IMG_1263.JPG

Great find!  I love him  :clapping:

Awww what a cuuuuuttttiieee!

Oh, what a find!! Such a cutie!

:heart

Is 'dragon eye' the same as telescope eye? :hummm

Edited by TikiLola

He's adorable.

:heart

Is 'dragon eye' the same as telescope eye? :hummm

Yes :)

Thanks all! I'm glad you like him too! He was the only one like himself in the tank of otherwise typical orandas. At first I was like what the heck is that? Then I was like oh, you're special!!! He's got a funky wen like a mohawk too.

Yes, a dragon eye is basically the same as telescope. I think there are subtle differences with size and direction of the eye but basically the same. Now if I could find a dragon eye pearlscale oranda my tanks would be complete...

Oh my Gosh how cute is he :) congrats on the find :) 

Never heard of dragon eye goldfish before. So s/he will get the big oranda wen (head blob) with time and keep the telescope eyes?  Do you get this from intentionally breeding of telescopes and oranda? Wonder what % turn out like this vers just oranda or just telescope.

Edited by AquaAurora

Nice find.

That is funny. Ok now this is my "DRAGON EYE".

Note: This was a normal Black Moor and he changed color to weird Gold and since then he is my favorite ugly duckling in my tank. He is skinny though.

IMG_3751_zpsvgmtw0s7.jpg

IMG_3785_zpsdsvzf8hf.jpg

IMG_3792_zpsa15kjxqh.jpg

WOW, great find, I would have scooped that one up in a heartbeat!!

Here are some new pictures of my guy.

IMG_1562.JPG

IMG_1572.JPG

IMG_1535.JPG

Wow he is looking great! Love the first pic with the bubbles!

Very cute

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

DUDE Looking great :thumb

Aaccckkk i love this fish!! So cool!! I have been seeing them at my lfs but none that caught my eye so much.

I'm sure it's not but I'd hate to not ask and then it is :ignore

That is not a lice on its tail, correct? Looks like a lil fluffy from a scrape or something but it reminds me of one. :teehee

Congrats on the awesome find! :panana

Aaccckkk i love this fish!! So cool!! I have been seeing them at my lfs but none that caught my eye so much.

I'm sure it's not but I'd hate to not ask and then it is :ignore

That is not a lice on its tail, correct? Looks like a lil fluffy from a scrape or something but it reminds me of one. :teehee

Congrats on the awesome find! :panana

Aaargh!!!  I knew someone would see that!  Eagle eyes...

No, you are right, not lice but a healing tear.  He's a big fish and one time while I was moving him by hand from the QT to a bucket (so I could rinse out the QT) I wasn't holding firmly enough and he thrashed around and tore his dorsal in 2 places and put a little hole in his tail.  I was all like :tantrum:madrant:doh11: .  Dorsal is mostly healed and the tail is slowly getting there...

I added this to his tank!  I hope it will survive!

IMG_1585.JPG

I added this to his tank!  I hope it will survive!

IMG_1585.JPG

The leaves that are orange/brown or translucent can be cut off near the base of the stem so more energy is put towards growing new leaves.

Did you add a root tab or soil under the substrate? or are you doing ferts directly into the tank water?

I added this to his tank! I hope it will survive!

IMG_1585.JPG

The leaves that are orange/brown or translucent can be cut off near the base of the stem so more energy is put towards growing new leaves.

Did you add a root tab or soil under the substrate? or are you doing ferts directly into the tank water?

Thanks! The plant with the brownish leaves is echinodorus Rubin. I got 2 of those and the green one I think is Bleheri. I put a pond tab at the base of the pot. They are what I use for my water lilies. I'm hoping that will do the job. I'm haven't started dosing the water, do you think I will have too if I keep the substrate adequately fertilized?

I added this to his tank! I hope it will survive!

IMG_1585.JPG

Thanks! The plant with the brownish leaves is echinodorus Rubin. I got 2 of those and the green one I think is Bleheri. I put a pond tab at the base of the pot. They are what I use for my water lilies. I'm hoping that will do the job. I'm haven't started dosing the water, do you think I will have too if I keep the substrate adequately fertilized?

I think the pond tab should be fine for most ferts, but echinodorus are real iron hogs so you may want to also get an iron specific tab to stuff in there.

I love the way that pot looks. 

I have a similar glass vase that is empty. 

May have to copy it.

Substrate - Tahitian Black Moon?

Thanks!

Oh, and AquaAurora, your dragon eye is cute as a button. :)

Edited by Distaff

I love the way that pot looks.

I have a similar glass vase that is empty.

May have to copy it.

Substrate - Tahitian Black Moon?

Thanks!

Oh, and AquaAurora, your dragon eye is cute as a button. :)

Cool. Thanks! The substrate is Carib Sea Eco Complete. I have a good amount left over from my first attempt at a planted tank (Spec III) so I thought this was a good way to make use of it.