Sign in to follow this  
AquaAurora

Which came first? Betta or goldfish?

No I am not asking historically which species of fish man first pulled from its natural habitat and put into containers of water/man made ponds. 

I'm asking which you as a both betta and gold fish owner bought first.  Did you start on bettas then get into goldfish? Or the other way around?  Which do you have more of (fish count and tanks)?

For me it was bettas first then goldfish.

I have a lot of planted betta tanks -9 actually,  1 is my husband's betta.  I have to stay out of petstores to resist buying more bettas (so many lovelies!) and turning my stored/qt tanks into active planted betta tanks. 

I enjoy the 2 goldfish I have and they enjoy their 1 40g breeder tank (really love hand feeding and handling them-can do the same with some of my bettas but have to be so much more delicate with the smaller fish), but I don't see myself getting more goldfish/goldfish tanks... unless I can get my hands on a 6 foot long tank for a good price... but around here those cost a bloody arm 'n a leg.

Edited by AquaAurora

As a small child we had both at the same time, so I'm not sure which came first exactly, but as far as fish I've bought myself, goldfish were first. After that I moved on to tropicals/my betta boy. :)

As a small child we had both at the same time, so I'm not sure which came first exactly, but as far as fish I've bought myself, goldfish were first. After that I moved on to tropicals/my betta boy. :)

Cool.  Technically I had a goldfish first when I was 10 (but I did not want it-my mom bought it.. and it did not last (see my horror story thread)).  For buying myself, bettas were first.

Betta when I was three and he lived for a good four years :)

Betta was first - got my first one in highschool.

Goldfish were second.

I've had goldfish my whole life. I got my first ever betta earlier this year, but she unfortunately suddenly passed.

Edited by hannah

Betta when I was three and he lived for a good four years :)

Nice long lived fish!

Betta was first - got my first one in highschool.

Goldfish were second.

Cool ^^

I've had goldfish my whole life. I got my first ever betta earlier this year, but she unfortunately suddenly passed.

I'm sorry for the sudden death.  You should try betta again though, they are awesome lil' fish.

Betta was my first when my sister and I got out own apartment together.  We both had one.  Each was in a 2 gallon tank with no filter. They lived a couple years.

Goldfish for me. I've had a number of bettas over the ears but goldfish came first and I've not had much luck with bettas I never have them live much more than a year

When  my son was little,we did the 2 cute goldfish in a bowl thing, no filter, water conditioner or  aeration, lots of gravel, over feeding flakes. :no: We killed Lucy & Dezi in about 2 weeks. :(  The pet store told me it was because I was changing  100% of the water every day. :mad: I believed that for YEARS! :mad:   Next, we had a 90 gallon established saltwater tank with a lionfish and snowflake eel that was given to us.  Thankfully, we had proper instructions on how to take care of that and it thrived! My ex gave it all away(or sold it) when we were going through our divorce. :( 5 years later we got a betta that lived 5 years! Since then we almost always have had at least one betta( the most at one time have been 3) But none have lived nearly as long. Think we had one live to around 3, but the rest about a year to year and a half. :(  The one we have now is about a year 1/2, I think. :hummm He looked pretty ratty for awhile, but seems like he's doing better. :thumb:  Anywho, joined here when one was not doing well and a member from a bird forum  I used to be on suggested Koko's since many members had betta and there is a betta section here. ;)  So, I suppose, I technically had goldfish first, but I had betta consistently, over a longer period of time. I will probably keep a betta as long as I have Buttercup(bearded dragon) as she loves watching the betta and has gotten depressed when I have moved the tank. (10G) Not sure if I will keep any once she passes. Been thoroughly enjoying my goldies at the moment and just as long as I don't have an outbreak of serious illness or anything like that, I don't see NOT having any anytime in the foreseeable future. ;)

Betta was my first when my sister and I got out own apartment together.  We both had one.  Each was in a 2 gallon tank with no filter. They lived a couple years.

Nice.  I've kept bettas in filter-less tanks but keep a heater with them as the house is cold, and live plants to suck up the ammonia.  2.5 years is the rough average life span for bettas now.  Typically those sold at pet stores are about 3-6 months old (at least around here) depending on how long they take to get shuffled around from breeder to warehouse/sort facility/then store.  But I have seen some younger juvies sold (not betta betas but not adults yet).

Goldfish for me. I've had a number of bettas over the ears but goldfish came first and I've not had much luck with bettas I never have them live much more than a year

Sorry you betta's aren't living that long for you.  I hope you can get 'em to last as they are a blast to have!

When  my son was little,we did the 2 cute goldfish in a bowl thing, no filter, water conditioner or  aeration, lots of gravel, over feeding flakes. :no: We killed Lucy & Dezi in about 2 weeks. :(  The pet store told me it was because I was changing  100% of the water every day. :mad: I believed that for YEARS! :mad:   Next, we had a 90 gallon established saltwater tank with a lionfish and snowflake eel that was given to us.  Thankfully, we had proper instructions on how to take care of that and it thrived! My ex gave it all away(or sold it) when we were going through our divorce. :( 5 years later we got a betta that lived 5 years! Since then we almost always have had at least one betta( the most at one time have been 3) But none have lived nearly as long. Think we had one live to around 3, but the rest about a year to year and a half. :(  The one we have now is about a year 1/2, I think. :hummm He looked pretty ratty for awhile, but seems like he's doing better. :thumb:  Anywho, joined here when one was not doing well and a member from a bird forum  I used to be on suggested Koko's since many members had betta and there is a betta section here. ;)  So, I suppose, I technically had goldfish first, but I had betta consistently, over a longer period of time. I will probably keep a betta as long as I have Buttercup(bearded dragon) as she loves watching the betta and has gotten depressed when I have moved the tank. (10G) Not sure if I will keep any once she passes. Been thoroughly enjoying my goldies at the moment and just as long as I don't have an outbreak of serious illness or anything like that, I don't see NOT having any anytime in the foreseeable future. ;)

Ugh hate uneducated store employees like that. Its not the water changes its the lack of overall tank water volume >.<

5 years is a nice long betta life!  Was it by chance a veiltail?  I've noticed from other owners accounts they are commonly the most long lived.

Its cute that your dragon likes the visual stimulus of the bettas swimming around.

Yes, it was! In my experience, it has also been the ones that have died in the first couple days of having them too. But, out of lets say out of 20 that we've had over the years,15 were probably veiltails.

~~~~~~~~~~

Do you use NLS Betta pellets? My betta likes the tiny NLS  I have for the tetra and refuses to eat his.

I hate to see them go to waste. I could send them to you if you want?

Technically the same time. When I was ten my mom brought home a one gallon bowl with a little fantail and purple betta in it.

The rest is history :)

Yes, it was! In my experience, it has also been the ones that have died in the first couple days of having them too. But, out of lets say out of 20 that we've had over the years,15 were probably veiltails.

~~~~~~~~~~

Do you use NLS Betta pellets? My betta likes the tiny NLS  I have for the tetra and refuses to eat his.

I hate to see them go to waste. I could send them to you if you want?

Nice!  I only have/had 1 veiltail so far.  My others were/are: 3 deltas, 3 halfmoon plakats, 1 double tail plakat, 1 double tail halfmoon (who fin bites his tail to plakat size =,= ), 1 elephant ear halfmoon, and 1 giant plakat.  I prefer the plakats with their shorter fins, more active (less drag from fins) and less likely to fin nibble.

I actually JUST got a new bottle of omega one betta pellets in today.  But new life spectrum (nsl) is a great brand-low in filler so one of the most recommended betta foods.  If you sent it to me I'd likely RAOK it (random act of kindness aka 'just pay shipping') since I accidentally ended up with more omega one that I thought I bought (meant to get 0.6 oz, but received a 1oz). 

You should RAOK the pellets, I'm sure a lot of beta owners on this forum would love the free high quality food!  I'm not sure if you can set up a RAOK thread in the betta section or if it'd have to be in the "Want to buy, Giving Away, and Rehome" section (you should ask Koko).  My favorite method of doing RAOKs  is having people who want it to just post in the thread and the post # counts like a raffle #, then use a random # gen site to get a # and associate it with the post to have a winner.  More defined rules can be "only 1 post per a person" (I do this on another forum to avoid spam posts from people who see the thread early on).

Edited by AquaAurora

Wow I feel slow, just noticed the "forum raffles" sub forum, apparently I never scroll down too far on the main page.  That would be a good place for the RAOK.  Maybe make it a "post a photo of your betta(s) to enter" type raffle ^^

Edited by AquaAurora

Wow I feel slow, just noticed the "forum raffles" sub forum, apparently I never scroll down too far on the main page.  That would be a good place for the RAOK.  Maybe make it a "post a photo of your betta(s) to enter" type raffle ^^

There's also the for sale/giving away forum.

If you wanted to pursue a raffle, I'd ask Koko what she thinks first. :)

There's also the for sale/giving away forum.

If you wanted to pursue a raffle, I'd ask Koko what she thinks first. :)

Yes I mentioned the Wat to buy,Giving away, and Rehoming subforum in the post above the one you quoted.  Was suggesting for TikiLola.  I'm waiting until I get to 200 posts before I do a RAOK ^^

For me as a child my Mom and Gram both kept tropicals as long as I can remember, I myself kept tropicals mostly live bearers and chiclids,, until my daughter bought me a betta as a gift, I was hooked kept the for years had tanks all over the house 12 at one time I think, then came the goldfish :) i love having a tank where fish can be friends lol, I haven't had any luck keeping a betta alive here in Florida I think it's the suffer in the water :(

For me as a child my Mom and Gram both kept tropicals as long as I can remember, I myself kept tropicals mostly live bearers and chiclids,, until my daughter bought me a betta as a gift, I was hooked kept the for years had tanks all over the house 12 at one time I think, then came the goldfish :) i love having a tank where fish can be friends lol, I haven't had any luck keeping a betta alive here in Florida I think it's the suffer in the water :(

Wow 12 betta tanks? Nice!  They certainly are addictive. My max is 8 (and 1 for my husband so technically 9) for bettas then 6 non betta tanks.

Sorry Florida's water is not making betta keeping easy for you :c

I originally started with Goldfish but that was when I was a kid.  Getting back into the hobby I started with a betta.

Wow 12 betta tanks? Nice!  They certainly are addictive. My max is 8 (and 1 for my husband so technically 9) for bettas then 6 non betta tanks.

You have 15 tanks?! :yikes Where do you keep them all?

You have 15 tanks?! :yikes Where do you keep them all?

Now there are more! 

Where tanks are:

4 on my desk (all betta tanks ranging 3g-8g)

2 on husband's desk (5g betta tank, 12g long shrimp/blue eye gertrudea community)

3 in room outside of office on various tables (55g community riparium, 20g long white clouds riparium, 40g breeder goldfish tank)

5 in family room on end tables, and book shelves (2g x2, 2.5g riparium, 10g filled 1/2 as betta tanks, and 3g bubble bowl riparium with dwarf puffer)

4 in converted guest room aka fish room (75g x2 (to be connected)for future Bristol shubunkin,  and 2x 6g planter pots turned into "pond pots" for betta)

Edited by AquaAurora

:thud

Thankfully with them all planted they're pretty much self sufficient (don't need aggressive water changes) so I just feed fish, and dose plant ferts in tanks that don't have root tabs.  Many tanks have slow growing plants so I don't have to trim constantly.

The funny thing if I keep telling my hubby i want to cut back/retire some tanks, then I somehow end up with more!!

Edited by AquaAurora

:thud

Thankfully with them all planted they're pretty much self sufficient (don't need aggressive water changes) so I just feed fish, and dose plant ferts in tanks that don't have root tabs.  Many tanks have slow growing plants so I don't have to trim constantly.

The funny thing if I keep telling my hubby i want to cut back/retire some tanks, then I somehow end up with more!!

Haha! This also answered my question in your blog! lol Cool!