sponge filters

Bought a Chinese made sponge filter off Amazon several weeks ago.  I was happy with it until noticing the packaging advised that the sponge be replaced every 6 months.  In my world, six months goes by about every time I turn around.   (The directions in Chinese didn't help much either, what little was in English was pretty cryptic.  You don't really need directions, for these, but there might have been something helpful in there...)

Anyway, currently own four tanks X $8 filter X twice a year...$64 per year is money that doesn't need to be spent.  Ted's Fishroom channel recommends Matten and Cube filters from Swiss Tropicals, for their longevity, so, I sent off for one of those.  $25 plus shipping, 6 inch cube filter with "jet lifter" arrived today.  ST even was kind enough to shorten the pipe since my tanks are broad and shallow. 

I like it. 

Will be getting more

• Admin

Photos would do great so we can see..

I love all the different ways of sponge filters... :) some ppl under estimate what a sponge filter can do :)

I do not concern myself with recommendations on when to change pads etc. If they need to be replaced, I replace them. Kinda like with oil changes. There is no need to change oil every 3000 miles.

Don't know what brand of sponge filter you have, but I have some that have been going for over a year and a half.

IMO filters/filter media last longer than the product directions suggest-they just want you to buy more sooner so they make more $.