WOOOOOOO Look at that :teehee

You know it is a Full moon today :rofl

Chris here... That has to be it.... And then it will all :blowup: tomorrow....

:rofl

yup :rofl

Now you should decide how often you want to change water.  

Now you should decide how often you want to change water.

LOL!!! Do you think that I will be able to??? I have a feeling that the tank is going to tell me!!! :idont

:fishtank

Would you guide me on how to proceed???? :please

It just a matter of whether you prefer to change a small amount of water frequently or a lot of water less frequently.  For example, 50% once a week does much the same as 10% daily,  20% every other day, or  30% twice a week.  I prefer small daily changes, as do goldfish.  Actually, I use a continuous drip and overflow, dripping in 10% of the tank/pond volume daily.

It just a matter of whether you prefer to change a small amount of water frequently or a lot of water less frequently.  For example, 50% once a week does much the same as 10% daily,  20% every other day, or  30% twice a week.  I prefer small daily changes, as do goldfish.  Actually, I use a continuous drip and overflow, dripping in 10% of the tank/pond volume daily.

Should I test daily for a while to see if the numbers remain consistent??? And what are good trigger numbers for a water change??? Also, should I still add aquarium salt to the tank???

:hmm

Test before any water change.  Keep using the salt for another week just in case you get some more of the chemical whose name must not be spoken.

How you schedule your changes depends on what schedule you want.  If you want to change 50% a week, you are now doing that every other day.  After a week of that with  ammonia/nitrite zero, go to 50% every third day for a week, continuing that pattern until you get to every seventh day.

At the opposite extreme, if you want to do 10% daily, just do it, testing the water before each change.   If you get  more than 0.25 ppm of ammonia/nitrite do a 50% change that day.

Test before any water change.  Keep using the salt for another week just in case you get some more of the chemical whose name must not be spoken.

How you schedule your changes depends on what schedule you want.  If you want to change 50% a week, you are now doing that every other day.  After a week of that with  ammonia/nitrite zero, go to 50% every third day for a week, continuing that pattern until you get to every seventh day.

At the opposite extreme, if you want to do 10% daily, just do it, testing the water before each change.   If you get  more than 0.25 ppm of ammonia/nitrite do a 50% change that day.

Ok... I'll give that a go... So it's been 2 days since my last WC... I'll test in the morning and see what the numbers are... But at plan on a 10% minimum unless I get .25ppm in either of those evil chemicals that have names that must not be spoken...

:ignore

:happydance

Chris here.... Ok... This is getting scary!!! Somebody took my tank... Who ever did... Thank you and I don't want it back!!!! :yikes

:tomuch:

Can I take Mr. Potato Head off his diet now??? He has been on one bite of Soilent green and three sinking pellets for weeks.... I'm sure he would love a real meal... :feedme

[url=http://s86.photobucket.com/user/thelaphams/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-06/2016-07/7CF5CC2E-0754-4376-BF43-46B791C9E0C3_zps5by2whbp.jpg.html]

Edited by Chris1251

Chris here.... Ok... This is getting scary!!! Somebody took my tank... Who ever did... Thank you and I don't want it back!!!! :yikes

:tomuch:

Can I take Mr. Potato Head off his diet now??? He has been on one bite of Soilent green and three sinking pellets for weeks.... I'm sure he would love a real meal... :feedme

456E4BC0-30F7-45E1-AC1C-438E200E0AAB_zps

:happydance:fishtank

I say give the little one a snack :)

you are good to go :thumbup2:

Chris here....

I gave Mr Potato Head (for the first time) an 1/8 tsp of frozen blood worms.... OMG!!! He about jumped out of the tank in excitement!!! I also gave him 6 more pellets.... When I put my hand in the tank he swam right up giving lots fishy kisses and wanted to be petted... LOL!!!

I have one happy boy here.... :rofl

Very nice, but that nitrate looks closer to 5 than 0.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.   :)

Edited by shakaho

Very nice, but that nitrate looks closer to 5 than 0.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.   :)

LOL!!!! That was a "late" picture.... Well past time... But hey.... I'm into details!!! Picky picky picky.... :bighug

Chris here.... 3days and counting!!!! I did a vacuum yesterday to remove any poop... So I pulled about 5 gallons and replaced it.... I think maybe we finally have got this!!! Fingers and fins are crossed.... Cautiously optimistic!!!

:9

I don't want to jinx it but I want to express my gratitude to Shakaho for her guidance and patience, Lisa (fantailfan1) for her generosity and Koko for having this refuge of learning and support.... :grouphug

To Arctic mama, Helen and Jared, thank you for support and help in trying to save Guy.... :heart

Here are today results.... :)

1FEBF41F-78E5-4E9A-A1EB-3114EB9A47F7_zps

:rockon

:happydance:greenbanana::redbanana::nana

Congratulations!!!!!

Chris here... Numbers are holding.... PH-8.0, ammonia-0, nitrite-0, nitrate-5...

Planning on WC for tomorrow...

Chris here!!! Numbers holding pretty steady... Nitrates are on their way up.... I'm thinking at least 50% WC and clean the glass.... Does this sound ok???

Results = PH-8.0, ammonia-0, nitrite-0, nitrate- 5 to 10 range...

I'm guessing you already did the WC since you probably miss doing them everyday :tomuch:   I'd shoot a WC anytime the nitrate gets to 20.  At that time, if your tank and tap pH are within 0.5, you can do as large of a WC as you'd like.  :D

Can you believe you survived?!  :hi5

I don't believe in "reactive water changes."  Pick a water change schedule, and follow it.  If that change schedule keeps your nitrate below 20 ppm, keep it.  If it doesn't work, try a revised schedule.  You'll find the right one for you.,

Chris here.... Doing a happy dance here.... 6 days without nitrites!!!!! Wahoooooo!!! :happydance

Shakaho... I love scheduled responsibilities...

I did a 50% WC yesterday.... Today's results: PH-8.0, ammonia-0, nitrite-0, nitrate-5.... I'm thinking Monday's and Thursday's with at least 50% WC... Going to test daily for the next 2 weeks to get a feel for how quickly Mr.Potato Head messes up the water....

Lisa... I don't know if I've survived yet... I'm still in shock of not changing water every day.... :yikes

I'm gonna keep updating this until I find the balance... I have returned to a normal feeding schedule of twice a day with 2 bites of Soilent green and 6 to 8 sinking pellets (Hikari LH or NLS Thera+A).... He is a happy fatty. :feedme

I need to get him a tank mate but I want to move up to the 40g before I do that... But I'll wait a few weeks before I attempt that... :rolleyes:

Hi!!! Chris here... Day 2 after WC.... PH-8.0, ammonia-0, nitrite-0, nitrate- 0 to 5....

Hi!!! Chris here... Day 2 after WC.... PH-8.0, ammonia-0, nitrite-0, nitrate- 0 to 5....

:happydance :happydance :happydance :happydance