Hot summer temperatures

I just saw this post, and wanted to give my 2 cents since I live in the bayou and experience this problem every summer. The problem we have in the bayou is that the tap water goes from mild to warm right when the temperatures start creeping in the summer and this doesn't change till late fall. On average, the regular tap water comes out at 81* F in the summer. When it hits late fall, the water temperature from the tap goes back down to 73-74 and then colder in the winter.

The problem is that my condo's temp is set at 72. The tank temperature will slowly match the air temperature, but due to high water temperature from the tap when I do my daily water change, I had to fix this problem preventing shocking my fish with the temperature change. (I had one painful temp shock that killed 2 of my fish).

What I do now, is that i make sure to change a little less water, instead of 30% daily, I do about 20% daily. I also keep a heater in there to set my tank temperature at 79* F so that there won't be a big influx in temperature change. If I do more than 30% WC, my tank temperature will creep up to 81* making it a bit warmer so that's why I do smaller WCs and keep a heater in there. Basically the heater will condition the fish to live happily at 79* and if there is an influx up to 81* it doesn't affect them much or any at all.

Alex, you must really get a shock when you step outside!  In the summer, I keep the house 75F at night and a max of 80F during the day.  When I step outside to a super-humid 79F in the morning or 95F in midday (with moderate humidity), it feels suffocating.  

I do continuous drip water changes of 10% a day, so I could use ice water in the summer or steaming water in the winter and my fish would never know the difference.

• Helper

I want to live with Sharon. :rofl I like to keep the thermostat at 74* in the summer. My husband sets it to 68*. :yikes He asks why I like it so "hot". :o 74* isn't hot. It just makes it so I don't have to wear layers in the house when it's 88* outside. :tomuch:

You're doing a great job, Chris. I do think some fish are more sensitive to temperature fluctuations than others but I've never been one to try to match the temp exactly. If it feels about the same to my fingers, my fish do fine during a WC. :D

Oh man, we keep the house set to 70 degrees year round. It only goes higher a few days in the summer when it gets hot because almost no homes up here have air conditioning :D

I can't sleep when it's hot in the bedrooms, ick!