Update: A house for our floaty Oranda Goldfish with chronic swim bladder issues

This an update to an older post of mine:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/123838-oranda-with-red-sores-please-help-another-ph-crash-victim/

Happy to say that Mouchie is doing well, his redness and infection went away with a round of of minocycline and meth blue dips. But his floaty issues did not go away even though we tried many different things, nothing helped. And then the redness kept returning, even using petroleum jelly. So we made him an underwater house. Since then he has had no redness or infections on his stomach. He is doing well and he is back to his being his little piggy self with food! He is in the 75 gallon with a couple of baby albino pleco. The water stays about 70°F in the summer which works for them all. Watching the little pleco play gives him something to do.

The door on his house opens easily and stays closed using a band attached to a suction cup. The top is smooth plastic so nothing rubs on his belly. The black ties are on the outside back corner next to the tank glass so they won't cause harm to other fish. The house stays about an inch below the water line, that way there is not too much pressure on his belly. He has room to move around. There is an airstone below him, his breathing and color are good.

Twice a day I let him out to exercise and hand feed him. He's so cute, he knows the routine and after some free time, he swims over to me to eat (I gently flip him upright). Then he swims to his door so I can let him back in his house. I think he feels safe in there. If it's OK with the mods, I am happy to help anyway who wants to make one. (The hardest part was drilling the holes without cracking the plastic). Most things I read online recommend euthanizing for chronic swim bladder, but maybe this can help others like it did for us. Please feel free to message me.

One question:

Yesterday I noticed he had some white stringy poop along with his normal poop. Is this anything I should be concerned about? I treated all of the tanks and pond with prazi about a month ago. Haven't added any new fish from pet stores. Thanks!

He likes to peek out the hole and watch me!

A01D31CC-BEFD-43EE-9CCD-FEAEEB9FF28B.jpg

5FD65311-A4B9-4D8E-A453-55F15EEC6D6A.jpg

7EA5DBF7-50FC-4E06-95F9-B8A20CA2BB8D.jpg

• Helper

If he doesn't seem agitated that isn't a bad solution. As for the stringy poop, we would need more information to handle that. Fill out the D&D form and we can help :)

• Supporter

Chris here... I love what you have done for your floatie... And I love the way he peeks at you thru the window... Bravo for creating for his special needs.... :)

He's adorable.

I am not knowledgable about this type of stuff, but this seems like a wicked cool idea. o:

Chris here... I love what you have done for your floatie... And I love the way he peeks at you thru the window... Bravo for creating for his special needs.... :)

If he doesn't seem agitated that isn't a bad solution. As for the stringy poop, we would need more information to handle that. Fill out the D&D form and we can help :)

Thanks everyone! He really seems to like being in it, very relaxed even when a pleco goes inside with him!

---------------------------------

Sorry I forgot about the d&d, here goes...

* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0, Nitrite Level(Tank) 0, Nitrate level(Tank) 10-20

* Ammonia Level(Tap) 0, Nitrite Level(Tap)0, Nitrate level(Tap): 0

Tap ph 7.6-8.2, kh 5-8, gh 12-14

Tank water ph 7.8-8.2, kh 5, gh 12

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Api drops

* Water temperature? 69-71 (in the summer)

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75gal, 7 years

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 fluval 406 canisters and a large HOB

* How often do you change the water and how much? Weekly 50%

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 6 days, 50%

* How many fish in the tank and their size? Just him and some baby albino plecos

* What kind of water additives or conditioners a? Prime at WC, prazi once year

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Sinking pre-soaked new life spectrum and aqueon goldfish tablets, bits of algae wafers, bloodworms (occasionally), veggies such as peas and squash.

* Any new fish added to the tank? Baby plecos that were birthed in my other tank.

* Any medications added to the tank? Prazi one month ago.

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration. Fish received minocycline and meth blue dips for infection, not in this tank but in another hospital tank.

----------------------------------

Other than the stringy poop, he has a white dot on his wen. Its hard to see on the photo, trying to hold him and the camera.

I think he would be content to have me hold him all day, I swear sometimes he nods off to sleep!

36835E55-72B8-466B-8407-41C83B4AD654.jpg

There is this white slimy stuff on one of out artificial plants, and when I looked at some of it under the microscope, it is teaming with life! I tried figuring out what all these little creatures are from what I could find online, and I *think* they are all safe.

Is this white slime algae?

Can anyone tell me if they see any parasites or anything that could harm aquarium fish?

Sorry for the poor quality, I took the photos using my iPad through the microscope.

FF45B1EB-01D6-4767-B4F4-73D62BD13499.jpg

900550C1-F231-4B88-AA12-6F1AD718DBD8.jpg

Round worm and Tardigrade? (i would love to see a real water bear up close!)

3500BE13-973C-4CA4-86A6-4EB5D93874E7.jpg

Ciliate and Heliozoan?

2448E604-16A9-490B-AFD5-36B281290125.jpg

Spyrogyra?

B96C3814-3785-44E6-B4A7-0AF4623A3A42.jpg

7DC6C22A-6AF5-4147-9062-4C430C304F07.jpg

Algae?

11226AC3-A7CE-48DC-8E2C-D8EFC2B35449.jpg

Mayfly/dragonfly nymph?

D5C7FA8A-9663-497E-99EF-606E7D708324.jpg

Partial Videos:

th_C3429CCB-DE81-436B-87D8-53FE986519D3.

th_2B862F94-AE8B-408F-B84D-7CC8EB4B57E9.

Brilliant Idea :)

I know nothing about white algae sorry, and I would tend to agree the white dot in his wen is new growth :)

Chris here... I'm not knowledgeable about the white stuff but your little guy's white dot looks like wen growth.... ;)

You guys must be right about the white dot being wen growth, because it already went away. And thankfully no more stingy poo.

What I can decipher from the research I did, the little critters in the "white algae" are not harmful, and can mean the environment is doing well, so hope that is the case anyway. For now I will just leave the plant there. :-)

• Supporter

Brilliant Idea :)

I know nothing about white algae sorry, and I would tend to agree the white dot in his wen is new growth :)

Chris here... I'm not knowledgeable about the white stuff but your little guy's white dot looks like wen growth.... ;)

You guys must be right about the white dot being wen growth, because it already went away. And thankfully no more stingy poo.

What I can decipher from the research I did, the little critters in the "white algae" are not harmful, and can mean the environment is doing well, so hope that is the case anyway. For now I will just leave the plant there. :-)

Chris here... Great news on that white stuff... One less thing to worry about.... :)