Sign in to follow this  
fishy

pinecone oranda recommendations please

I upgraded my 4 goldies (1 small, 2 med, 1 large) to a 75 gallon 2 weeks ago. Parameters matched old & new tank. Api test (drops) on 5/29 (set up) : ammonia 0, nitrate 10, nitrite 0, ph 8.2. I moved the established filters & media to the 75g, filtration is 800 gph. water test on 5/30 was nitrate 20, ph 8.2, ammonia & nitrite 0. Water test 6/1 results: same. Water test 6/5: same. Water change 6/8 of apx 12 gallons. I tested the water today & all same except ammonia at 1.0, my large oranda has lifted scales/pinecone. I check the fish daily and he/she wasn't like this. Water is r.o. with seachem gold trace, buffer, prime, salt. All fish are eating, I am unsure of the age. I did a 20 gallon water change 2 hours ago & double dose prime. the ro ph is 6.0 so I need to do small frequent water changes bc of the ph difference, I do have a better idea of how to do larger water changes that are safe for the fish, I didn't get it done since 6/8 because of long work schedule and my geriatric dog was having some health issues (he's ok now). Anyway, I have kanaplex and metronidazole (seachem), what should I do to help the fish: qt, meds, both, anything else? Thank you for any suggestions :)

Glad your dog is OK and I hope your Goldfish feels better.

Can you post a pic of the pineconing fish from the side and from above?  Do you have a small quarantine tank that could hold the pineconing fish?  If we decide to do this (because of your pH issue), we might initially want to fill it with water from the main tank and then refill the main tank with tap.  Do you have Epsom salt?  I see the Kanaplex and Metroplex.  Any other antibiotics or medicated foods on hand?

Edited by Jared

Also...what buffer are you using and how much salt in the water (and why)?

Thanks for the replies, I do have a 10 gallon qt tank. I do not have a clue on how to get a picture into this thread, I'm really bad at that kind of stuff - I can't even copy & paste. The additives (buffer, gold salt, replenish, prime) were all recommended by seachem based on using ro water. I do have epsom salt, no other AB but the kanaplex & metronidazole. I have a good LFS that carries alot of things, they may be an option for additional meds. I also have baytril injectable. Thank you :)

Thanks for the replies, I do have a 10 gallon qt tank. I do not have a clue on how to get a picture into this thread, I'm really bad at that kind of stuff - I can't even copy & paste. The additives (buffer, gold salt, replenish, prime) were all recommended by seachem based on using ro water. I do have epsom salt, no other AB but the kanaplex & metronidazole. I have a good LFS that carries alot of things, they may be an option for additional meds. I also have baytril injectable. Thank you :)

Okay, let us mull over this :)

How much Baytril do you have?

I work at a veterinary clinic so I can get all the baytril I want, lol.

I work at a veterinary clinic so I can get all the baytril I want, lol.

Do you feel comfortable administering it?

I believe I can, I've done it before but that was about 3 years ago. It just goes under a scale, correct? If that would be the best option, I will make sure I do it and do it correctly.

I believe I can, I've done it before but that was about 3 years ago. It just goes under a scale, correct? If that would be the best option, I will make sure I do it and do it correctly.

Okay, I am waiting for opinions.

Which Seachem buffer are you using (specifically) and what are the active ingredients in the Seachem Gold Salt.  I don't want to diminish the efficacy of the Epsom Salt.

Edited by Jared

I will check & let you know in a few minutes.

The buffer is gold buffer, I my mistake, it's not gold salt, it's gold trace (trace elements). Big difference between the two I'm sure.

Okay, here are a couple of options:

1)You could leave the fish in the main tank and just do daily injections of the Baytril.  This would keep you from having to use the quarantine tank which might be hard to manage due to your pH problem as you would need to do large daily water changes.

2) You could move the pineconed fish to the 10g QT and dd Epsom Salt at 1/2 Teaspoon per 10 gallons and do either the Baytril or a different antibiotic combination such as metronidazole plus a gram negative antibiotic.  Kanaplex can be too harsh for dropsy if it is advanced and the kidneys are compromised.  With dropsy in particular, I feel like injections or oral antibiotics work better than those added to the water.  If you use the QT, you would also need to figure out the pH problem.

I'm curious what you used the Baytril for before and what the results were.  If you are confident in your(or the vet's) ability to administer the injections properly, this would probably be the quickest and best solution.

Edited by Jared

Thank you Jared, I appreciate the advice. I will do the baytril injections. I had used the baytril apx 3 1/2 years ago on my 1st oranda. He wasn't pineconed but I think just very lethargic, bottom sitting. Water parameters were good. Honestly, I took him to an animal hospital that handles fish, birds, exotics, rabbits etc and I am pretty sure the dvm was looking info up as she went. I was there for 3 1/2 hours & they couldn't find an exact answer from diagnostic testing so baytril was recommended x 10 days. A bit surprisingly, the fish was completely normal by the end of baytril. I found koko's around the same time and I know my fish have fared much better because of the forum. Thanks again :)

Great, please let us know how it goes and if you have additional questions :) 

Will do :) I tested the water this morning and ammonia is at 0, yeah!

So sorry your fish and dog are having issues :( I hope they both recoup asap :)