• * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops
      • * Water temperature?  17c
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 15g QT - 5 weeks with this fish.  I had fry in there for a few months before and kept the same filter in there
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Just a small sponge filter
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Every 2 Days - 100%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today 100% (Sorry I forgot to test water before change)
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 approx 2inches without tail
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? NLS Thera A+ 1-2 times a day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? The fish in question and another were added in 5 weeks ago. The other fish is now in the main tank
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No I don't normally treat in QT unless I see symptoms. 
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. None
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? White Flecks over body
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Behaving normally

Okay so I got Hamster and Polka 5 weeks ago. Up until yesterday everything was fine. Polka joined the main tank 2 days ago but I decided to keep Hamster one her own for a while because I was worried she was too small to handle the big guys in the main tank and she will be going into a different bigger tank in a month or so anyway.

Yesterday (The day AFTER moving Polka to the main tank) I noticed white flecks on Hamster. There was only a couple so I thought I'd just keep an eye on them but there is more today. 

I'm not sure what they are? It looks different to ich. I cannot see anything on Polka or any of my other fish.  

I was thinking of salting the tank, I will be prazi-ing all of my fish as soon as the prazi I ordered arrives but I don't have any at the moment.

Hamster is still acting normal

DZkjtY7.jpg

WT0J7LE.jpg

bEAsKRH.jpg

1ZryJ0D.jpg

• Helper

Can you scratch them off with a finger nail?

Please try several salt dips with him over the next few days and let me know if they come off or any other symptoms pop up. My Moors do get sand and mulm stuck to them and it looks similar, but the shape makes me suspect a parasite. If we can take care of it with the salt dips alone that would be ideal but if it persists or worsens there are other options.

Edited by Arctic Mama

• Supporter

Thanks Taryl. I don't have much in the way of fingernails (Serial nail biter here lol) but I will try and will also prepare a salt dip solution. I've used 3% salt in the past for dips, will this be the case here too?

There is no substrate in the tank, just empty tank with sponge filter :)

• Helper

3% should be fine, but some fish tolerate lower better first. You can begin with a 1% and step it up to a 2% later in the day on another dip if you can go ten minutes with no fainting :)

As for the fingernail, I was really just asking if the flecks move, and if they're on the inside or outside of the slime coat. A cotton swab or dull pencil would also work - anything you can gently scrape along the fish to see if the flecks shift or come off and how easily. Make more sense?

• Supporter

I haven't been able to get them to move. I will go get a salt solution ready. I'll start with 1% since I haven't done with with her to know how she tolerates them yet

Hi Amanda.  Beautiful black moor you have :).  I'm not an experienced fish keeper but I am interested in this thread.  I had 3 fry that presented with something just like this when I brought them inside from out in the pond.  The fish were acting totally normal but had these white larvae looking things on them.  You can search up the thread by looking up "looks like ich" I think.  Anyway, at the time we thought it might be a type of fluke that uses snails as a host (more common in ponds than aquariums).  Here is a photo so you can see what I'm talking about:

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_2965_zps15xdhhuz.jpg

IMG_2965_zps15xdhhuz.jpg

• Helper

Amanda.. if you can get one of them and run it under your microscope, that would be awesome.

Yes, if it won't easily budge that makes me think parasite. Five weeks in quarantine is a long time for one to appear, and only on one fish, but it's possible.

• Supporter

Amanda.. if you can get one of them and run it under your microscope, that would be awesome.

Yes, if it won't easily budge that makes me think parasite. Five weeks in quarantine is a long time for one to appear, and only on one fish, but it's possible.

to me it seems like a few water maggots.. nothing to be concerned about if that's what it is. they may be on other fish too, however because the fish aren't as dark as the moor, perhaps they can't be seen. i investigated the water maggot on my microscope, so i will be interested to see if they are the same.

• Helper

Huh! I've never seen water maggots on aquarium fish before - not unless they're wild caught. That's more a pond thing. That would make sense given the shape and appearance of them. The microscopy will be interesting.

Edited by Arctic Mama

• Supporter

to me it seems like a few water maggots.. nothing to be concerned about if that's what it is. they may be on other fish too, however because the fish aren't as dark as the moor, perhaps they can't be seen. i investigated the water maggot on my microscope, so i will be interested to see if they are the same.

I haven't been able to get them off I'm going to see if I can find some tweezers tomorrow and see if I can scrape one off with them. I did try to get a microscope picture of one on her but her been so wriggly and my scope been so cheap it didn't turn out so well to sow more than what we can see without it. 

If I manage to get one off Ill try again to get a scope picture!

0Naka51.png

• Supporter

Hi she handled her second salt dip at 2% fairly well. She did start listing after a 2 and a half minutes but stayed upright

The white specks seem to be disappearing. I can only see two on her today. I will give her another salt dip after work :)