New Betta not eating

Zebbynpengi

I went to the pet shop to get a female betta. Someone gave the pet shop this betta because it was in a community tan and being harassed. I had a cycled 10g that I put my betta in with plants and caves. The betta won't eat and just lying around once in a while. I had the betta a week now. No droopsy, perfect fins, no heavy breathing, everything is perfect.

What I want to know would she lonely since she has always been in a community tank. If I need to add some friends what kind of friends should i add?

What temperature is the tank at currently?

I wouldn't add tank mates until she's better but many people have luck with smaller cories. :)

Bettas are solitary and tend to enjoy human company. I doubt she's lonely.

Edited by hannah

The temperature is ok, so you can rule that out. Many bettas stop eating when they're too cold.

Sometimes bettas simply won't eat for the first week or so. That might just be the case if she looks otherwise healthy. 

The only other thing I can think of is age. Do you have any idea at all how old the betta is? I can imagine it would be a lot more stressful for an older betta to be moved.

• Helper

Are you floating the pellet right in front of her face? Some bettas are laaaaazy. Consider trying a different type of food too. Some really dig mysis shrimp or fresh/frozen blood worms over pellets.

Also, are you feeding pellets? I have Betta Fish myself and am part of the betta forums as well and the most common problem is that it might be too big for them to chew. Try cutting in into a smaller piece and see what happens. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I often see threads in the betta forums of newly bought bettas not wanting to eat.  Sometimes its just them adjusting.

Sometimes its illness(which can be noticed).. are the fins clamped at all?  Do you notice swim bladder issues (beign stuck at the bottom/not able to swim up and stay up higher in the water column)?

How densely decorated is the tank? I've noticed more barren tanks sometimes bettas get a bit shy in and don't more around as much (but every fish is different).

What are you using for a filter?  Remember bettas don't like strong currnet/flow.  Some HOBs will blast them around the tank and they don't like that so they'll stick to calmer areas.  If you have an HOB or internal waterfall filter consider putting some foam media over the outtake/spillway.  If you use a canister filter use a spraybar and aim the holes at the tank glass they're suction cupped to so water comes out and immediately hits that glass then bounces off and moves around the tank-this helps with flow a lot.  If you have an airpump driven  sponge filters there's no need to make any flow mods.

With food using frozen meat foods like blood worms or brine shrimp can get bettas interested.. live food even more so!  A wiggly blackworm (aquatic worm-all my fish love them) will quite often get the hunting instinct to kick in.

Another food option is garlic extract soaking.  Many people use garlic extract to boost immune system and also report it gets fish to eat food they refused (good idea to soak medicated food with garlic to hide the bad taste).

Instead of buying over priced garlic extract at a store you can make your own with galric, tap, and a container/bottle + lid or cling wrap and rubber band. DIY info on that:http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/124491-some-of-my-diys/?p=1980040

Or if you keep minced garlic that's ONLY ingredients are: garlic, water, and citric acid you can strain water from that jar to soak food in.

Bettas can live a few weeks without food so keep trying to get them to feed, but don't panic too much if they aren't eating yet.

Edited by AquaAurora