Can gelfood be made without repashy?

The title kinda says it all. I have seen sooo many different gel food recipes for snails and they all simply use unflavored gelatin. Can gf foods be made with unflavored gelatin, babyfood, add in fishfood and chill?

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Of course they can.  Not having much expertise on goldfish nutrition, I would use these as a "treat" and buy staple foods from those who have the knowledge. 

Of course they can. Not having much expertise on goldfish nutrition, I would use these as a "treat" and buy staple foods from those who have the knowledge.

Since I'd be putting in the sinking pellets and fbw, wouldn't it be fine?

Probably, but why do all the extra work?

Why does anyone use gelfood if there are no benefits? I'm going to be making some for my snails and i figured I'd give some to the gf.

Assuming the "extra work" she meant was in making the gel food from scratch as opposed to just getting the repashey powder.

That is easy to make.

I do 25 seconds microwave for 1 teaspoon repashey to 3 teaspoons water.

I think it's pretty much same nutritionally to pellets for a staple food.

On a side note, make sure people know it's fish food when you store it in the refrigerator.

I remember mentioning on here a while ago how my mom came for a visit to my house and thought the gel food was people food.

She had a taste of it, and wasn't happy :rofl

You can use Agar instead of Gelatin if you prefer.  Gel foods are great because you pick what's in them and you can pack them full of stuff that prepackaged foods don't have.  Want more veggies, add them, want more protein, add it. 

• Supporter

i feed my fish home made gelfood because commercial food (even repashy) lead to floating issues. so now i make a heap of gelfood once every other month, 2 or 3 different flavours and my fish eat from that. i don't use Agar, but others with fish who show to be sensitive to gelatin have replaced it with Agar and have had good results. i add garlic and a probiotic to each mix.

i feed my fish home made gelfood because commercial food (even repashy) lead to floating issues. so now i make a heap of gelfood once every other month, 2 or 3 different flavours and my fish eat from that. i don't use Agar, but others with fish who show to be sensitive to gelatin have replaced it with Agar and have had good results. i add garlic and a probiotic to each mix.

What is the recipe you use for gelfood, Helen?

• Supporter

all my recipes follow a template.

carrots

spinach

peas

garlic

probiotic

a few drops of Seachem Prime (as i don't use tankwater for their food or gelatin)

from there, you can change the flavour by adding extras.

for fish gel, i add either tuna or sardines (both from cans and in springwater).

for seafood gel. i add scallops (excluding the red tops), prawns (uncooked and deshelled) and sometimes clams/pipis.

eve of a fasting day gel. i add an extra cup of peas and pumpkin.

that's it. i make a bucket load of the first section, divide it into 3. add the rest, blend well, add non flavoured gelatin, allow to set and bob's your uncle ;)

My female blue oranda has always had problems with being floaty and it was definitely exacerbated by dry foods, namely (hikari purple and Shoto Impact) and so I switched to repashy with my own added ingredients. (I do repashy, mixed with a few grams of hikari purple bag and hatori pellets; my gel food looks like a green Crunch bar)

She would get even worse if she was spawning, which is once every 2-3 weeks. Her floatiness became so severe that she could not keep herself down and would be stuck floating at the top. She could float down, but had to exert a lot of effort to get food and then quickly be floated back up to the top. It got to the point where parts of her dorsal fin dried out and became inflamed and red. 

I decided to test this theory out about the food and fed them only gel food for a few days and her floatiness quickly resolved itself. I then stopped feeding gel as a main staple and went back to dried foods and she would exhibit floatiness within 2 days. If there are non-believers on dry pellets (hakari purple) causing floatiness I can do this experiment again and post videos to show you. In short, gel foods can be great especially if you tinker with it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Supporter

My female blue oranda has always had problems with being floaty and it was definitely exacerbated by dry foods, namely (hikari purple and Shoto Impact) and so I switched to repashy with my own added ingredients. (I do repashy, mixed with a few grams of hikari purple bag and hatori pellets; my gel food looks like a green Crunch bar)

She would get even worse if she was spawning, which is once every 2-3 weeks. Her floatiness became so severe that she could not keep herself down and would be stuck floating at the top. She could float down, but had to exert a lot of effort to get food and then quickly be floated back up to the top. It got to the point where parts of her dorsal fin dried out and became inflamed and red. 

I decided to test this theory out about the food and fed them only gel food for a few days and her floatiness quickly resolved itself. I then stopped feeding gel as a main staple and went back to dried foods and she would exhibit floatiness within 2 days. If there are non-believers on dry pellets (hakari purple) causing floatiness I can do this experiment again and post videos to show you. In short, gel foods can be great especially if you tinker with it.

2 of my fish floated terribly on hakari pellets. it's been about 5 yeas since i purchased it. the two that experienced floating issues, never recovered. they gradually became worse and their health deteriorated. never used it again.

On a side note, make sure people know it's fish food when you store it in the refrigerator.

I remember mentioning on here a while ago how my mom came for a visit to my house and thought the gel food was people food.

She had a taste of it, and wasn't happy :rofl

My husband almost ate frozen blood worm cubes once, thought it was a tiny pop-able frozen Popsicles type snack.