Sign in to follow this  
stech

Good Mechanical Filtration

What is good mechanical filtration for 90 gallon tank?  I have good biological filtration in place already using ATI V sponge and Aquaclear 110.  However I need to clear up the water and get waste out of sight. 

Add another 110. Turning down the flow on them increases the mechanical filtration quality.

I use a CA-750 that can be purchased on Amazon for $14.90. The turn over is around 200 GPH and you can also add an airline directly to it to have it pump a ton of air into the tank.

http://www.amazon.com/Ca-750-Internal-Aquarium-Filter/dp/B004I69EMC?ie=UTF8&keywords=ca-750&qid=1465337170&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

The only downside about these is that the sponge inside the filter gets dirty quick and if you don't clean them, they can easily wear out the motor. The CA-950 is rated for tanks 50+ gallons so it should work perfectly for you. The larger ones has 2 sponge filter components to it. They are excellent at moving the water in the tank which will suck up the larger fish poops, but just beware that they get dirty quick.

If you mount a power head on your sponge that greatly increases the flow and mechanical filtration capacity. Also using current from the filters strategically to push detritus along the bottom toward the lowest filter intake works well. Lots of current tends to keep poo from settling.