Emergency! Please Help Me Help Schmendrik! :'(

Anorea

Please help! I'm so worried about Schmenny. D: Yesterday he was bottom-sitting a bit, and I thought I would wait and see if anything changed today, and today he had a thick white poop about 3-4 times his body length, and now he is bottom-sitting almost exclusively, and listing to his right side pretty severely. He is my most absolute favourite fish, and I don't think I could continue w the hobby if he dies. I know that everything is high, but should I do a water change right now, since I just put in the Medicine? I feel like I panicked with the meds, and I should do a water change right now. I also noticed there is suddenly a lot of bacteria on my plants and rocks. You can see it in my videos. Nothing appears to be wrong with Lemon though. :( Also, my husband pointed out this morning that one of the pieces of food I give them was a little bad (it was like, slimy). Could it have been anything to do with that?

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) .25
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)  Somewhere between 40 and 80ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) About .20ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) About 20ppm  
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)   7.8
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?  API Freshwater Master Kit; drops.
      • * Water temperature?  74F. 
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?  36G, Since Aug. 2015
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? AquaClear50 It does 200GPH
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 1 week I do a 30%, the next I do an 80%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 6 days ago, 30%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 Ranchu, both about 2.5-3" SL
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? API Tap Water Conditioner.
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Soilent Green, twice day, a piece about as big as my thumbnail for both fish.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No* Any medications added to the tank? I just put in API General Cure, and Aquarium Salt.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.  Nothing has been wrong since quarantine(August last year), when I used API General Cure and Salt, except for Lemon got a bruise/wound from the filter, and I added Melafix for a week(about two months ago).
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? None.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Bottom-sitting, listing to the side, yesterday he was breathing rapidly, now he is listless. He doesn't seem too excited about food.

Video about 2pm today. He was fairly active: https://youtu.be/FRcCryO7_oc

Video tonight at about 9:30pm: https://youtu.be/_X2YDy1TN7I

Video Tonight at about 9:31pm: https://youtu.be/k_KoqHTvWok

Edited by Anorea

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks a lot mjfromga! I am so so worried. He is getting worse so quickly. My gut says I should probably do a water change asap, but I just put meds in, so I'm not sure what to do. I think I should do the WC anyway though.. I dunno. I already have anxiety, and this is just making it so so much worse. I just don't want to take any chances, and none of my IRL fish-buddies have seen this combination of symptoms, either. I've literally never seen a thick white poop like that before, and I've kept goldfish for 14 years. :( I've been reading that it could be stress, or parasites or internal infection. I'm so worried.

I just moved him to a small breeder basket at the top of the tank, BTW. He doesn't seem to care, and I know he would normally. :( His buddy Lemon keeps swimming up next to him and keeping him company though. What a good little Lemon. *tries to cheer up*

• Helper

Hi there! I'm sorry Schmenny isn't doing well. When something moves this fast we cannot always save the animal but we can certainly try.

When was the last time you changed the filter or knocked out debris and detritus? Your water parameters aren't great and that can stress the fish and make them susceptible to what I suspect is an internal bacterial infection.

Please do a water change, 50% today and 50% again tomorrow morning, just to keep the stress lower than one massive change. Do you have any other medication aside from the general cure? You can continue that for a two week course along with the salt in a hospital tank with an airstone and heater (a better choice than treating the entire tank of you have one).

Check the water quality as you treat - it needs to be impeccable. Use an ammonia/chlorine neutralizer like Prime as needed between water changes, but stay up on your husbandry. Your nitrates in the main tank are too high, we want them to be in the 10-20ppm range before a water change and you may need to adjust your filter maintenance schedule and water changes accordingly to keep the quality up.

Any questions or clarifications needed?

• Helper

By the way your videos aren't playing for me - they're disabled for playing on sites other than YouTube and won't load in my app for some reason.

Hi there! I'm sorry Schmenny isn't doing well. When something moves this fast we cannot always save the animal but we can certainly try.

When was the last time you changed the filter or knocked out debris and detritus? Your water parameters aren't great and that can stress the fish and make them susceptible to what I suspect is an internal bacterial infection.

Please do a water change, 50% today and 50% again tomorrow morning, just to keep the stress lower than one massive change. Do you have any other medication aside from the general cure? You can continue that for a two week course along with the salt in a hospital tank with an airstone and heater (a better choice than treating the entire tank of you have one).

Check the water quality as you treat - it needs to be impeccable. Use an ammonia/chlorine neutralizer like Prime as needed between water changes, but stay up on your husbandry. Your nitrates in the main tank are too high, we want them to be in the 10-20ppm range before a water change and you may need to adjust your filter maintenance schedule and water changes accordingly to keep the quality up.

Any questions or clarifications needed?

Unfortunately, the only other tank I have available is a 1.2G tank, in my storage. I may be able to get it tomorrow, but I may not. D: 

I have Melafix, and ich medication. 

I actually just cleaned the filter entirely two weeks ago. (I left some media untouched ofc).

By the way your videos aren't playing for me - they're disabled for playing on sites other than YouTube and won't load in my app for some reason.

Okay, I am in the process of making them public. I had them unlisted, please let me know if you can see them.

Thanks so much for the reply. What medicine do you recommend then? I can go to PetSmart tomorrow.

• Helper

Just dose in the main tank then, and get enough general cure to make it two weeks in the size of tank you have. And since you nut recently cleaned your filter that make explain the ammonia if you tossed the meadow or rinsed it too aggressively. But the nitrates suggest you need to be changing water twice per week instead of once to keep up with them. I'd suggest 50/50 changes on Sunday and Wednesday or whatever works best with your schedule.

Edited by Arctic Mama

• Helper

And no, still no luck playing the video. It says they're disabled to play on sites other than YouTube?

Why don't you just copy the link in here instead of embedding the video?

I have to go to bed now for my timezone, it's way late, but definitely focus on the water quality both during treatment and afterward. Keeping it clean and fresh goes such a long way to avoiding problems in your stock. What happened with Schmenny may have nothing to do with husbandry but it's just as likely his immune system was weakened by those high nitrates and you're seeing the effects of nitrate poisoning plus a bacterial infection. We will do the best we can to treat him promptly but in the future focus on prevention - the absolute easiest and most effective way to do that is with plenty of small water changes. Enough that your nitrates are trace, your ph is stable, and everything else is zeroes :)

Good luck!

Edited by Arctic Mama

Just dose in the main tank then, and get enough general cure to make it two weeks in the size of tank you have. And since you nut recently cleaned your filter that make explain the ammonia if you tossed the meadow or rinsed it too aggressively. But the nitrates suggest you need to be changing water twice per week instead of once to keep up with them. I'd suggest 50/50 changes on Sunday and Wednesday or whatever works best with your schedule.

Okay, thank you. Is it okay if I also use Melafix, along with the General Cure? The General Cure doesn't say it's for bacterial infections, but the Melafix does. If they treat for different things, is it okay if I use both?

And no, still no luck playing the video. It says they're disabled to play on sites other than YouTube?

Why don't you just copy the link in here instead of embedding the video?

I have to go to bed now for my timezone, it's way late, but definitely focus on the water quality both during treatment and afterward. Keeping it clean and fresh goes such a long way to avoiding problems in your stock. What happened with Schmenny may have nothing to do with husbandry but it's just as likely his immune system was weakened by those high nitrates and you're seeing the effects of nitrate poisoning plus a bacterial infection. We will do the best we can to treat him promptly but in the future focus on prevention - the absolute easiest and most effective way to do that is with plenty of small water changes. Enough that your nitrates are trace, your ph is stable, and everything else is zeroes :)

Good luck!

I actually did copy the links, I don't know why they embedded. I'll the post them again, but with html/

Vid1

Vid2

Vid3

What I don't get is that the tank has been at stable measurements for months. I do a test every time I change water, and the only thing I can think of that may have affected everything is the moldy piece of food I put in the tank, and what you are saying about the filter. D: I'm going to do more often water changes, and see if anything changes, though.

Again, thanks a lot for the reply and advice. I'm so so upset right now, and I want to do everything I can to help him asap. Thanks for helping me to do that. 

• Helper

No, no melafix! I hate that stuff, to be honest. Salt does as much good and less harm - some fish are very sensitive to the melaleuca oil in it. And for topical swabbing things like methylene blue, potassium permanganate, and hydrogen peroxide are superior.

Just general cure, salt at .1% (one teaspoon per gallon), and very clean water for two weeks.

Like I said initially Schmenny might not be strong enough to fight an infection that is moving so fast, but if anything will give him his best chance it is you and your quick action in noting and treating his symptoms, as well as giving him a clean environment to give his body as good a shot as you can at healing. The rest is out of your hands but I hope he pulls through. Good night :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

Please go out a get a plastic tote for a hospital tank.  Even if you do 100% changes, I don't think you can get water clean enough for a sick fish with all those rocks in the bottom of the tank. Then treat as Taryl recommended.

This could be nitrate poisoning.  Nitrate-sensitive fish can show balance/buoyancy problems with high nitrate.  

As Taryl said, you should do at least two 50% water changes a week with your high tap nitrate.

Hey there hope your fish feels better.

If you're having trouble with youtube videos, you should go to the settings, and change it to "OPEN for the public to view" or "Open to anyone with the address link" and that should make the videos accessible for others to view on forums.

If I get a plastic tote won't there be a problem with lack of beneficial bacteria?

Mjfromga, i hope your fish starts feeling better. :( the tipping over is killing me. :(

Thanks for the good vibes, everyone.

I already have the settings on public, so i don't know why people can't view them. I linked to them through html code though.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Helper

You don't want or need bacterial colonization in a hospital tank - many meds will cause a die off of those nitrifiers anyway. That's why I recommended an airstone and keeping the water impeccable. Oftentimes changing 100% of the water every other day is sufficient during treatment, but if your ammonia is still rising something like Prime can neutralize it on the days you aren't changing the water out.

Especially given that the tank environment could have contributed to the infection, a hospital tank is much preferable. It's also cheaper, as you're dosing a smaller body of water with medication.

I'm at the store and they don't have prime, but they do have a water conditioner that removes chlorine as well as ammonia and nitrites. They also have t.c tetracycline. Should i get that instead of general cure?

When I need a hospital tank, I set up two 10 gallon totes, and do 100% daily water changes using the "bucket to bucket" method. Each day I move the fish to a fresh container, and empty, rinse and refill the one it come out of.  This eliminates concern about filtration and cycles.

• Helper

Since you are already dosing the general cure you need to continue that one. Tetracycline is not something I'd advise with these symptoms or your PH, which is too high for that medication to do any good. Could you Amazon prime ship some to yourself while you use up the box you have?

Pleased ask before picking up other medications, we don't want you wasting your money :)

A 2.5 gallon tank also wasn't a good choice - it is too small to dose easily when medication is portioned out for ten gallon tanks. Your water will also foul too quickly. I'd take both items back and return them, then go pick up or or two ten gallon plastic totes from somewhere like target. Sharon's method is easiest, I agree, but I tend to only keep one ten gallon tank on hand. Two is definitely the most simple though, and will dose the easiest with conventional aquarium medication than odd sizes.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I live in a studio apartment, and i don't have room for a ten gallon tote anywhere. I have just enough room for my "kitchen", my bed, my computer desk, and my regular tanks on a stand. My friend said she has a 10g tank i can borrow, but she recently bleached it. I think I'll go get it from her, and just rinse it really well. I'll Amazon prime some g.cure, that's a good idea. I really like the two tote method. I wish i could do that.