Sign in to follow this  
gto1605

Plant for goldfish

Hi guys, any recommendations for type of plant for goldfish? My plant mostly eaten by my goldfish even anubis thank you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow... Well if they eat the plants that most fish don't like, maybe they WON'T eat the ones that are commonly liked. Water sprite, water wisteria, etc. Oh - I've never heard of a fish that liked banana plants.

If your fish eat the sturdiest plants recommended, it's likely they'll eat everything. Welcome to the world of artificial plants.. 

They're actually not all the ugly things you'd think of. My fish ate every single living plant in the tank, even the spiky/pointy ones. If they notice they can eat it, they'll eat it. 

What Chai said.

If they're prepared to eat something firm textured like an anubias, then the majority of plants are probably going to be fair game. The only thing you'd be able to do is get a couple of new ones and see how they go. Supplementing feedings with something leafy like nori might help.

Anubias is usually considered the most fish-proof type out there; what I'd do if you really want live plants is, get some really nice silk plants, use those for a few months, then gradually sneak a few things like anubias & Java fern in there & see if the fish notice. When my fish were younger, they used to eat live plants; I had them in a plantless situation for a while, then moved them to a tank with plants, & they left the plants alone then. (Well, they nibble at the hygros & swords, but not enough to kill them off).

I think an important factor is being overlooked.  That is, how many anubias plants are in your tank?  If there is one or two plants, that gives the fish something to focus on, thus, those few plants take all the abuse. 

When planting with goldfish, one must plant heavy.  That is the main trick.  This way, any nibbles the fish give your plants, will be spread out and do little damage on one single plant.  This will give the plants time to heal and regrow new leaves.

Another important thing to consider is plant selection, as each goldfish has different tastes.  Besides Anubias, you can try Java fern, java moss, Cryptocoryne, Aponogeton, Vallisneria,  Crinum, Bucephalandra, Nymphaea zenkeri, Nymphoides aquatic, Marimo 'moss ball' and Ceratophyllum.  Those plants often do well with goldfish, but there are several others.

Finally, if the fish still destroy all your aquatic plants after planting heavy and trying a variety of plants, you can setup a Riparium.  The idea behind a Riparium, is to plant land plants that like to grow in wet habitats.  You use suction cup planters to keep the plants above water.  With a Riparium, you get the benefit of live plants growing in the aquarium, yet the fish cannot get to the leaves or stems.  It's very pretty and can be used in combination with aquatic plants.  So look it up Ripariums online, you'll find good info and beautiful photos!

Whatever you do, Good Luck and I hope I've helped.  :D

Edited by Acro

And the Crinum listed above is in reference to Crinum thaianum, however there are a few other Crinum species that are suitable for the aquarium.  :D

Bucephalandra and crinums can cost several hundred dollars in Australia. Moss balls are illegal too. ;)

As an aside, I'd recommend anyone interested in bucephalandra ask where the plant has come from. Since they are extremely slow growing, nurseries around the world tend not to cultivate as many as are for sale. Western demand for them has led to wild collection and severely reducing populations in parts of the world. One of the big talking points in Australian plant circles, are the 'slabs' of bucephalandra that are for sale here. These are collected from places like Borneo to the extreme and smuggled through our borders.

Moss balls are illegal . . .

Yeah . . . note that I am not in Australia . . . so I have no idea what you guys and gals can get over there.  The above info was posted from my experience in the United States and hopefully some of the info can help fish keepers all over the world.  That said, I have no idea what rules and laws are set in place and I assume fish keepers will use their good judgment to and educate themselves on what they place in their aquarium.

. . . crinums can cost several hundred dollars in Australia.

In the United States, the "Onion Plant" Crinum thaianum costs very little and is common.  It can often be found in chain pet stores sold as bulbs.  It is very easily propagated too.   I can't imagine it costing several hundred in Australia, are you sure we are talking about the same plant?

Bucephalandra . . . can cost several hundred dollars in Australia.

As an aside, I'd recommend anyone interested in bucephalandra ask where the plant has come from. Since they are extremely slow growing, nurseries around the world tend not to cultivate as many as are for sale. Western demand for them has led to wild collection and severely reducing populations in parts of the world. One of the big talking points in Australian plant circles, are the 'slabs' of bucephalandra that are for sale here. These are collected from places like Borneo to the extreme and smuggled through our borders.

You can find tissue cultured plants in Australia for $15.00.  http://www.theaquaticplantsociety.org/bucephalandra-tissue-culturing/

Some ebay sellers are starting to offer tissue cultured plants in the United States too.  I've had luck buying Tank-Grown plants from many members on planted tank forums.  One just has to search for sustainable sources, they are out there.  But I agree, it is important to avoid wild collected, imported plants.  Not only is wild collecting destructive to natural habitats, but the plants often don't do well adjusting to aquarium conditions.  Always buy Bucephalandra that is Tissue Cultured, Farmed, or Tank-Grown.

Ok, the Public Service Announcement is over.  Now let's get back to helping the OP by suggesting plants that will work with goldfish.  ;)

Edited by Acro

Yep, any sort of crinum costs a lot of money here. They just aren't in demand so no one propagates them. The last time a crinum went up for auction here (there was a thaianum and calamistratum), both sold for a few hundred dollars each. If you know someone that has one it's easy enough to get one, but to buy can be costly.

I was aware Exotic Aquatic were cultivating tissue buces, but they cost more than $15 and weren't available regularly. Since he's closing down the retail side of his business, I don't imagine that will be a viable source anymore, sadly. 

Anubias is usually considered the most fish-proof type out there; what I'd do if you really want live plants is, get some really nice silk plants, use those for a few months, then gradually sneak a few things like anubias & Java fern in there & see if the fish notice. When my fish were younger, they used to eat live plants; I had them in a plantless situation for a while, then moved them to a tank with plants, & they left the plants alone then. (Well, they nibble at the hygros & swords, but not enough to kill them off).

Sneaky... :teehee

Bucephalandra and crinums can cost several hundred dollars in Australia. Moss balls are illegal too. ;)

Interesting... I was thinking of getting a moss ball... :undecided:

My fish ate a little bit of everything, even anubias. I feel that in addition to planting heavy what you feed is also important. Try to feed them small meals often. Feed them a balanced diet too. Offering them a couple kinds of food/ types of food is good. I feed repashy, hikari, kens pellets and fresh kale. Having fresh veggies in the tank, they are more likely to want to eat those than bitter plants.

I keep anubias, swords, and water sprite in my goldfish tank.  They've only really damaged the plants from crashing through them. 

Before I bought goldfish I thought they could not be kept with plants, but I spoke with a member on another forum who told me including veggies in their diet keeps them from eating plants.  That person keeps a lot of delicate plants successfully and uneaten.

My guys get repashy soilent green for 2 of their 4 meals a day, and always keep cucumber slices in the tank.

I keep anubias, swords, and water sprite in my goldfish tank.  They've only really damaged the plants from crashing through them. 

Before I bought goldfish I thought they could not be kept with plants, but I spoke with a member on another forum who told me including veggies in their diet keeps them from eating plants.  That person keeps a lot of delicate plants successfully and uneaten.

My guys get repashy soilent green for 2 of their 4 meals a day, and always keep cucumber slices in the tank.

Cucumber, really? Raw, or blanched? Not to high jack the post :P I too am eager to hear of more plant options!

Cucumber, really? Raw, or blanched? Not to high jack the post :P I too am eager to hear of more plant options!

Blanched.  For feeding the goldfish I take a whole cucumber, cut into slices about at thick as my finger, cut out the seed core (just to reduce mess in tank that I'd have to siphon out later), freeze in a baggy.  Pull '1 out of the freeze and drop into a microwave safe cup, add tap, add a little diy garlic extract and microwave for 1 minute.  Run cool tap over it to not burn mouths then plop it in the tank!  That usually lasts about 2 days.  The mystery snail also munches on it.

You can feed goldfish a lot of different veggies.  Some more foods listed here:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/food.html

Edited by AquaAurora

My fish also bite through anubia stalks, breaking off the leaves and killing the plants, but they don't eat the marimo/moss balls. They've also nibbled on the smaller java ferns but the ferns eventually grew large and dense enough that my fish no longer bother them.

Occasionally I add some anacharis plants and the fish demolish them within a few days. :)

Softer plastic plants, river rocks, and maybe some small driftwood might be good options.