Sign in to follow this  
jenzaar

Brainstorming anubias things, opinions please

Ever since clearing all the plants out of the 125, we're really liking the simple, not very crowded look, and somewhat easier maintenance. Thing is, without a ton of stuff in there, the tank just looks bare. Here's a picture so you know what it looks like:

5XvSFvW.jpg

I still have most of my anubias plants (4 large, 4 small) saved and would really like to add them back, get a little color and dimension back in there.

EXCEPT, we want both pieces of driftwood to not be covered. The piece on the right will only have a little, mostly to keep the fish out of the holes in it. Otherwise, no other plants on the driftwood. AND, I'm not planting any, and I'm not keeping them glued to rocks all over the tank. :rofl

But don't worry, I think there is like one option left for me. :teehee

I thought of Lis's tank, and then thought of these:

https://www.google.com/#hl=pt-PT&tbm=isch&q=cross+stitch+plastic+mesh&imgrc=lQdhUtym2l7zrM%3A

If I could attach the plants to these, I could just suction cup them to the back wall.

Of course I won't just plaster an anubias square to the tank, so that's where you guys come in!

How?? What shape?

Mostly vertical is what I'm thinking? or horizontal.... 

I was thinking somewhere on the left-ish side of the tank.... maybe about 8 inches from the wall, on an angle toward the left? Does anything make sense? :krazy:

Why use the mesh at all?  You could just tie the Anubias plants to the suction cups and stick them all over the back wall of the tank.  I've dabbled with this idea myself.  Buy the suction cups that have the metal hooks attached and pull off the hook.  Then, you can tie the plants onto the knob where the hook was.  This way, you would only see the plant.

Edited by Jared

anubias-barteri-suction-cup.jpg

I been meaning to do this myself :)

Why use the mesh at all?  You could just tie the Anubias plants to the suction cups and stick them all over the back wall of the tank.  I've dabbled with this idea myself.  Buy the suction cups that have the metal hooks attached and pull off the hook.  Then, you can tie the plants onto the knob where the hook was.  This way, you would only see the plant.

hmmm! That is a good idea!

I was going more for one big piece, that could easily be removed and replaced, but this could definitely work too. I don't know about the bigger ones, the rhizomes on some are 4 inches, but I could just bunch them all together in whatever layout I like! I like changing it up anyway so I think that's a really awesome idea. :nana 

Aaand Kolo solved the rhizome thing :rofl:hi5

Just make sure you snip the ends :)

Glad I could help :D

:tomuch:

You're a hero, Lisa :rofl2

I think they would look cool just suction capped around different spots in the tank :o And would be so easy to move around too

I use a veggie clip to hold Wisteria and Water Sprite in place, but I like this idea much better! :hi5

Glad I could help :D

thanks, pal.

:rofl

I made two test ones yesterday. :D

And this is a perfect plan for what I want! :rockon

I already had a bunch of tiny black suction cups (which is a little alarming, cuz, why did I not use them for whatever they were intended... :hmm) and a few bigger ones from old heaters or whatever. 

I just superglued them!

aRPu1JA.jpg

ta-da!

5ltkC4Q.jpg

evx2PEs.jpg

This is not the finished product by any means, but a start.

I am soooo glad, thank you Lisa for your brilliant idea! Oh, and Jared too. :donthit::rofl3

:uwelcome any time . . . .

Hey!! I just :idea: I can do this with all of Jared's plants he's sending me!! :lisa: I'm so glad I thought of this! :lisa:

:lol

Yessuususususss!

27090835467d258608ff749f037d6ad6.jpg

I love it! It's perfect. Except one of those popped off the wall but it's hanging out for now. :teehee

I'll post more pics later on in my pic thread :nana

Cool!  I want a side shot.  :please  :teehee

#Bossy

Cool! I want a side shot. :please:teehee

#Bossy

893da6704a8d0c74937f9e9beb9aa40a.jpg

:teehee

That is AWESOME. Great job thus far!!  :thumbup2:

That looks awesome!!!

Thanks, all! :D

Looks great Jen!!!!

Looks great Jen!!!!

Thanks Dawn! I just can't get the one to stay put but I'll figure it out. Otherwise very happy, there is the stuff i wanted but none of it on the floor :teehee

Now you must COMPLETELY COVER that back wall in anubias! DO IT!!!

Sorry I love anubias.  I like the suction cup idea but never did it.. i get [censor]ed at how fast suction cups wear out.

Now you must COMPLETELY COVER that back wall in anubias! DO IT!!!

Sorry I love anubias. I like the suction cup idea but never did it.. i get [censor]ed at how fast suction cups wear out.

Haha, i will definitely be adding more, but not sure about covering the whole wall! :teehee

I'm gonna let this go for a while and see how everything holds up before i go too crazy on it, but so far the little suction cups i have are working out well :D

Thats what I had planned on doing but the Mollies had to go into SW so, maybe later :)