Sign in to follow this  
lizam

Seachem Safe Dosing

Hi,

I am having a brain blank. :blink:  I bought seachem safe to try because it's more economical than prime.  I thought it would be good for my 90 gallon.

How much should I dose for water changes?  My city tap water water generally runs .under 25ppm under ammonia and under 5ppm nitrates.

Thank you :) 

Hi Liz. I am in BC as well. Use 5 measures or just under 1/4 tsp for 80-90 gallons. The measures are the same as the ones that come with Seachem meds. Like Kana and Metro. I emailed Seachem and they told me 2 scoops but my fish hit the bottom of the tank during a water change. Bit was freaky so doubled it. They were fine after that. I know BC sometimes uses chloramines as well...at least the lower mainland does.

Hope that helps.

Hi Liz. I am in BC as well. Use 5 measures or just under 1/4 tsp for 80-90 gallons. The measures are the same as the ones that come with Seachem meds. Like Kana and Metro. I emailed Seachem and they told me 2 scoops but my fish hit the bottom of the tank during a water change. Bit was freaky so doubled it. They were fine after that. I know BC sometimes uses chloramines as well...at least the lower mainland does.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Eddie that is super helpful???? I wanted to make sure I dose it right.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

No worries. You will save a ton of money. I've been using mine for a year and haven't even put a dent in the 2.2 lb bottle haha.

No worries. You will save a ton of money. I've been using mine for a year and haven't even put a dent in the 2.2 lb bottle haha.

That's awesome thanks????

Your welcome. Did you get a measure with your Safe? If not and you don't have any Seachem med scoops. Email Seachem and they will mail you a pair.

Your welcome. Did you get a measure with your Safe? If not and you don't have any Seachem med scoops. Email Seachem and they will mail you a pair.

I haven't checked yet but I do have med scoops. Seachem sure has goid service. I miss the lower mainland. I lived there for 18 years before returning to the Boundary Kootney area????

That area is great though. Southeast BC is beautiful.

Sorry to intrude in this thread, but I had been wondering the same thing. I have a bottle of Seachem Safe that I haven't opened yet because I still have Prime left, but when I need to start using it can I just scale this dosing down for any size aquarium, or do I need to take into account my local water? I have a 60-65 gallon aquarium. So 5 scoops for 90 gallons would be 3.3? scoops for 60 gallons.

Yes. I would think 3-4 scoops would be adequate. If you know your water parameters you could email Seachem. Very helpful company. They had told me 1.6-2 scoops but it wasn't enough. I could tell as my Goldies started bottom sitting midway through the refill. It will depend on how many ppm of chlorine or if you also have chloramines. You can Google your city's water. It should tell you.

Yes. I would think 3-4 scoops would be adequate. If you know your water parameters you could email Seachem. Very helpful company. They had told me 1.6-2 scoops but it wasn't enough. I could tell as my Goldies started bottom sitting midway through the refill. It will depend on how many ppm of chlorine or if you also have chloramines. You can Google your city's water. It should tell you.

Thank you so much! The website of my local water treatment plant lists chlorine levels as 0.18-0.72ppm with an average of 0.40ppm. And my city doesn't use chloramines luckily. I think I will give Seachem a call and see what they tell me :)

I was also wondering, if I'm doing a water change with a python and using Safe do I just add the full dose to the tank before refilling like I would with Prime? Should I dissolve it first in a small cup of water before adding it or anything? 

Thank you so much! The website of my local water treatment plant lists chlorine levels as 0.18-0.72ppm with an average of 0.40ppm. And my city doesn't use chloramines luckily. I think I will give Seachem a call and see what they tell me :)

I was also wondering, if I'm doing a water change with a python and using Safe do I just add the full dose to the tank before refilling like I would with Prime? Should I dissolve it first in a small cup of water before adding it or anything? 

I read its best if you dissolve it in water.  I did a big wc yesterday and used the Safe and it was all good. :)