Pothos in HOB?

xStatic

A few days ago I picked up a small cheap pothos plant with the idea of letting it grow hanging from my two HOB filters. I've heard good things from other people who do this and supposedly pothos really eat up a lot more nitrogen than typical aquatic plants. I'm a little concerned about the roots growing and clogging the impellers on my filters but I plan on taking them out when I rinse dirty filter media and trimming the roots when they seem to be getting a bit too long. I'm also a little bit worried about rinsing the roots completely of all the soil and fertilizer from the store which is the only reason I haven't actually got the plant into the filters yet.

Does anyone here do this? Do you guys repot the pothos after they've developed roots or can I leave the plant in there long-term and just trim when needed? The fish wont have access to the plants so I wont have to worry about them eating any of it. 

Pothos roots will grow down through your media, making it difficult to clean.  As long as you remove the plants each time you clean the filter media, you will keep the roots trimmed.  

You will find maintenance easiest if you put the pothos in containers that you can hang from the side of the tank.  Some people use suction cup containers like this.  You can also just drill a hole near the top of the pot big enough for an S-hook and use that to hang the pot from the side of the tank.  A few stones can hold the roots in place.

Just rinse off the bulk of the potting soil.  It won't harm your fish.  

I've kept pothos on the intake side of the  HOB before.  Would not keep it on the media side as it grows roots quick, and woudl make cleaning/unclogging foam media a pain.

I prefer to keep my fast root growers like pothos, purple waffle, and peace lilies in shower caddies

011_zpsdmmtksks.jpg

005_zps67gwesr9.jpg

And the suction cups never last to I use rubber encased electrical wire with cut ends out of the tank

013-20.jpg

You can place whenever you want then.

I sue expanded clay media (commonly called hydroton) its light weight and wicks up moisture.  If you use a window screen mesh you can use smaller tank gravel and not worry about it falling out of the holes in the plastic.

A lot of my pothos is actually so monstrous after 2+ years of growing that I can't have it in planted/caddies (leaves are bigger than my hand, vine is thicker than my thumb!).  I just shove the vine into the tank and keep leaves above water, roots grow like mad down into substrate (55g so 22+").

I've kept pothos on the intake side of the  HOB before.  Would not keep it on the media side as it grows roots quick, and woudl make cleaning/unclogging foam media a pain.

I prefer to keep my fast root growers like pothos, purple waffle, and peace lilies in shower caddies

011_zpsdmmtksks.jpg

005_zps67gwesr9.jpg

And the suction cups never last to I use rubber encased electrical wire with cut ends out of the tank

013-20.jpg

I sue expanded clay media (commonly called hydroton) its light weight and wicks up moisture.  If you use a window screen mesh you can use smaller tank gravel and not worry about it falling out of the holes in the plastic.

A lot of my pothos is actually so monstrous after 2+ years of growing that I can't have it in planted/caddies (leaves are bigger than my hand, vine is thicker than my thumb!).  I just shove the vine into the tank and keep leaves above water, roots grow like mad down into substrate (55g so 22+").

Okay, since two people have suggested these containers now I guess I'll have to go out and get some! I'm betting I can find something similar at the dollar store. I was initially worried about the fish having access to the roots because I read once that it's bad for the fish to eat these roots because 1) pothos is toxic to many types of animals and 2) the roots uptake bad compounds like nitrates, ammonia, etc. and it wouldn't be healthily for the fish to eat these toxins accumulated in the tissues of the plants (although I kind of doubt that's how the biology works - but idk I'm pretty dumb when it comes to plants!)

I do have a bunch of extra fiberglass window screen, do you think that would be safe to use in an aquarium? Could I just use aquarium gravel to weight down the plants?

I know pothos grow really fast so I was already planning on having to trim them back frequently. I have lots of friends who keep aquariums and ejoy houseplants so I can just pass along clippings to them and/or just toss the extra clippings when the plants get too big. 

011_zpsdmmtksks.jpg

005_zps67gwesr9.jpg

013-20.jpg

Okay, since two people have suggested these containers now I guess I'll have to go out and get some! I'm betting I can find something similar at the dollar store. I was initially worried about the fish having access to the roots because I read once that it's bad for the fish to eat these roots because 1) pothos is toxic to many types of animals and 2) the roots uptake bad compounds like nitrates, ammonia, etc. and it wouldn't be healthily for the fish to eat these toxins accumulated in the tissues of the plants (although I kind of doubt that's how the biology works - but idk I'm pretty dumb when it comes to plants!)

I do have a bunch of extra fiberglass window screen, do you think that would be safe to use in an aquarium? Could I just use aquarium gravel to weight down the plants?

I know pothos grow really fast so I was already planning on having to trim them back frequently. I have lots of friends who keep aquariums and ejoy houseplants so I can just pass along clippings to them and/or just toss the extra clippings when the plants get too big. 

Fiber glass window screen is tank safe, have used it on my tanks for 2 years no issues.

I've not had fish eat roots, I keep my plants separated from the goldies with an internal diy sump, on the tropical fish tank roots are just all over, no issues with fish in there.

I know pothos grow really fast so I was already planning on having to trim them back frequently. I have lots of friends who keep aquariums and enjoy houseplants so I can just pass along clippings to them and/or just toss the extra clippings when the plants get too big. 

If the gravel doesn't go through the slots in the container it will do just fine.  With pothos, the gravel, hydroton, or even just a few stones, only serve to hold the plant in place.

If you build some kind of trellis for your vines to climb, you don't have to trim the pothos for a long time, and it looks beautiful.  The larger and faster-growing the plant, the more nitrate (and other dissolved substances) it will remove from the water.

As AA already said, window screen works fine in the fish tank.  I've made a "box" out of window screen and sewed it to a floating frame to make a duckweed container for one of my ponds (the only way I've found to grow duckweed in a goldfish tank).

IMG_1923.jpg

You can also make a floating island for plants in the tank with screen and a floating frame.