Sign in to follow this  
AquaAurora

How Many bettas do you own?

I find bettas extremely addicting!  Bettas can be more skittish than goldfish but they have great and varying personalities, bond with you, and can even learn tricks or be petted like goldfish.  Though they're better alone I love using them in 2g-10g aquascaped tanks as they don't bother the plants and add a nice bit of color/activity.  I ended up starting with 1 but in 2 years time I'm up to 8 bettas of my own, and my husband also owns 1.  Each have their own filtered,heated, planted tank.

Husband's:

Chiyome ~ Red 'koi' halfmoon plakat female

Mine:

André ~ Marble giant halfmoon plakat male

Aristoles ~ Multi color elephant ear halfmoon male

Xerxes ~ 'Mustard' metallic scaled halfmoon plakat male

Freya ~ Yellow 'koi' halfmoon plakat female

Ajax ~ Blue metallic halfmoon plakat male

Alastor ~ Bi color delta male

Shreduski ~ Mustard double tail halfmoon male

Antaeus ~ Multi color veiltail male

I only have one. I'd like more but no more room lol

I have one.

I have three females in a sorority until I can get the chance to get a few more. The females are less than an inch long and I think the longest is an inch so they still have a load of growing left to go.

Just one, but Cee is a lovely fellow - rosetail, sort of turquoise with some red accents.

Cee18Nov5418_zpsrtm2xfj4.jpg

I have two.  Both in 5 gallon planted tanks.  The one at work is named Chagall an pink with blue veiltail and Mattisse black and blue veiltail by my bed.  I love them both :)

Just one right now :)

I don't own any.   :hide:

Its interesting to her the varying #s people own... I found after I bought my 2nd I couldn't stop!  I have to stay out of the petstores and off ebay/aquabid to avoid getting any more >.>''

I don't own any.   :hide:

That's ok ^^

Edited by AquaAurora

I only have one right now but I have had many over the years and at one point had 13 at once. Good times. lol

My Mr.Fishy passed away after only having him for 2 years :(

2 years is a long time when you consider they are not bred very well in stores and are sometimes full grown adults when we buy them. They can live around 7 years but that is not as common. 2 years is a good life. :)

Sorry he passed.

2 years is a long time when you consider they are not bred very well in stores and are sometimes full grown adults when we buy them. They can live around 7 years but that is not as common. 2 years is a good life. :)

^ what they said.  Average betta life span is about 2.5 years.  By the time they get to the pet stores shelves to sell they're usually 4-6 months old (they're considererd adults by 3-4 months).  I've not heard of a 7 year old Betta, would love to have a conversation with that owner!.  But I have spoken with some betta owners that had fish live to around 5, mostly with veil tails and in filtered/heated tanks.  The newer tail types and colors tend to have a shorter life span since they're inbred and over bred to get the desired finnage and coloration.  Petstores often get the imperfect, not messed up enough to be culls, but not worth it for a breeder to sell themselves at betta shows or ebay/aquabid, but I've seen some real gems at the stores before.

Edited by AquaAurora

Oh I know it, it just, that i was Justines fishy :o

The oldest one I ever had lived with me for 5 years :o