Never ending mystery parasites

• Admin

Just a thought, we have water butt's where we collect rain water, would doing a water change with rain water help at all?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Can you test the rain water?

I would like you if you can... Do a water change of 20% with Stored water :)

OK will do.

Did you do a water change?

Unfortunate update :( just noticed this morning Sebastian has pop eye and the beginnings of dropsy, I've quarantined him straight away and mixed up medicated food (kana plex + focus) he didn't appear to eat much so I force fed him with a pipette, majority went down, I had a similar thing before with another fish and I did mange to cure him with this method, well have to see how it goes, wish me luck

Make sure if you see swelling to put Epsom salt in there too :)

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a thought, we have water butt's where we collect rain water, would doing a water change with rain water help at all?

OK will do.

Unfortunate update :( just noticed this morning Sebastian has pop eye and the beginnings of dropsy, I've quarantined him straight away and mixed up medicated food (kana plex + focus) he didn't appear to eat much so I force fed him with a pipette, majority went down, I had a similar thing before with another fish and I did mange to cure him with this method, well have to see how it goes, wish me luck

Epsom salt isn't the same as aquarium salt is it? How much should I put in?

OK will do.

Epsom salt isn't the same as aquarium salt is it? How much should I put in?

I haven't done a water change as yet, haven't had time unfortunately, I'm not gonna be able to do it till the weekend

Epsom salt is MgSO4, aquarium salt is NaCl.

The usual dose of epsom salt is 1/4 teaspoon per 40 liters. 1.5 teaspoons per 60 liters is not toxic.  I suspect 16 teaspoons per 40L would be dangerous.

If you don't have time for a water change before the weekend you may not have to do another one until you get new fish.

Edited by shakaho

The usual dose of epsom salt is 1/4 teaspoon per 40 liters. 1.5 teaspoons per 60 liters is not toxic. I suspect 16 teaspoons per 40L would be dangerous.

If you don't have time for a water change before the weekend you may not have to do another one until you get new fish.

I was going by the Information on this website for treating dropsy? ?, 1 tea spoons per gallon. I'll do a water change in the quarantine tank asap.

The main tank had a water change recently. I'm working ALOT at the moment and don't get home till very late, it's very hard to keep doing water changes constantly, although I am trying my best.

My last water change was only on Monday, I don't feel anything drastic is going to happen in 3 days with no water change. I've done a huge water change on the hospital tank to remove majority of the salt, I'll do another one later on and start a fresh with correct dose

The usual dose of epsom salt is 1/4 teaspoon per 40 liters. 1.5 teaspoons per 60 liters is not toxic. I suspect 16 teaspoons per 40L would be dangerous.

I was going by the Information on this website for treating dropsy? ?, 1 tea spoons per gallon. I'll do a water change in the quarantine tank asap.

The main tank had a water change recently. I'm working ALOT at the moment and don't get home till very late, it's very hard to keep doing water changes constantly, although I am trying my best.

Please link me to this.

Please link me to this.
Terribly sorry it was on a different goldfish page, I typed in 'treating dropsy kokosgoldfish' so I assumed it had taken to me to here. Right now the situation is that Sebastian is pretty much back to normal, scales have gone down, pop eye is gone thank god. My ranchu 'cloud' still has black patches on him, he also lists to the side whilst testing. do I quarantine him and add salt or do a salt bath?

Edited by gothicchick1100

The situation is pretty bad today, the main tank tested for some ammonia so have done a 50% water change, will do another one later on today. Cloud (ranchu) is not good, he's listing to the side most of the time coveted in these back areas, tulip (Redcap oranda) does it as well but rights himself and swims normally when disturbed, what do I do?!

• Helper

That's not swimbladder, unfortunately that is the dreaded c-shape which is usually end stage behavior for a sick fish. With the mushy abdomen and shape I'd say it probably an infection that he cannot fight anymore.

It is hard to keep up with a thread this long, I'm sorry we missed this. While you could treat him with a combo of kanamycin and metronidazole it's likely to not do much good once he is stuck to the bottom and contorted. It's your choice.

That's not swimbladder, unfortunately that is the dreaded c-shape which is usually end stage behavior for a sick fish. With the mushy abdomen and shape I'd say it probably an infection that he cannot fight anymore.

It is hard to keep up with a thread this long, I'm sorry we missed this. While you could treat him with a combo of kanamycin and metronidazole it's likely to not do much good once he is stuck to the bottom and contorted. It's your choice.

I may as well treat, got to loose, shall I blend it up as a frozen food?

• Helper

You can feed it or water dose it, your choice. Helen says that if you feed the meds in about a teaspoon of gel food that you can add 4-5 grains of the epsom salt directly to that mixture in addition to the small amount in the water. If some constipation is worsening the symptoms that will have a laxative effect and be helpful :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

You can feed it or water dose it, your choice. Helen says that if you feed the meds in about a teaspoon of gel food that you can add 4-5 grains of the epsom salt directly to that mixture in addition to the small amount in the water. If some constipation is worsening the symptoms that will have a laxative effect and be helpful :)

OK so I'm using seachem meds, so half a scoop of kana plex, half a scoop of metronidazole, to 5 scoops of focus, in a teaspoon of repashy? So mix it in after microwaving then let the whole thing set? The epsom salt I have is really fine, so 4 -5 tiny grains?

I mixed the meds up this morning with brine shrimp, Can I just add the salt to that or is it better to use repashy?