Never ending mystery parasites

• Admin

They really are pooping alot (goldfish) the day after a water change there is huge amounts of poo over the bottom, I'm feeling that this isn't normal. They are sitting worse than ever, I just feel it's gotta be something more than slight over crowding, I used to be quite over stocked years ago and never experienced anything quite like this. They also keep yawning as well, I think I might treat for flukes again, this is the worst they've been in a while, just sitting around moping everytime I go in the room.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

If we do treat for flukes... I would suggest the Prazi Powder... Helen has had better success with it than the PraziPro :)

It could be, did we add any new fish in the last 6 months? or after doing a prazi?

Also what do I do with the silver? How do I treat with it?

All you need to do with silver is place the drops in the tank... What kind of silver did you get? that will help me with how many drops hun :)

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They really are pooping alot (goldfish) the day after a water change there is huge amounts of poo over the bottom, I'm feeling that this isn't normal. They are sitting worse than ever, I just feel it's gotta be something more than slight over crowding, I used to be quite over stocked years ago and never experienced anything quite like this. They also keep yawning as well, I think I might treat for flukes again, this is the worst they've been in a while, just sitting around moping everytime I go in the room.

If we do treat for flukes... I would suggest the Prazi Powder... Helen has had better success with it than the PraziPro :)

It could be, did we add any new fish in the last 6 months? or after doing a prazi?

All you need to do with silver is place the drops in the tank... What kind of silver did you get? that will help me with how many drops hun :)
I usually use fluke solve, the plecs were added fairly recently but I did treat for flukes after, however I feel it's probably worth doing again, how many rounds should I do? And I was going to buy the silver in the link you sent.

• Admin

I usually use fluke solve, the plecs were added fairly recently but I did treat for flukes after, however I feel it's probably worth doing again, how many rounds should I do? And I was going to buy the silver in the link you sent.

I would suggest doing two rounds... Unless Sharon or Jared suggest other wise... :)

With that silver when you do get it. I would add about 10 drops to the tank.. :)

• Admin

Is there a different brand I can use? The one in the link you sent, they won't deliver to the UK

Oh yes hun.... Just look for colloidal silver

on Amazon :) atleast a 50ppm more is better :)

• 2 weeks later...

How are your fish doing? Sounds similar to the problems I'm having. Just curious if you've found some resolutions and any evidence in the microscope.

Maybe you could help out with simple instructions for preparing a slide? What instrument do you use to do the actual scraping of the gills? My fish wriggles around so much it's almost as if I would have to use clove oil to calm him down first.

How are your fish doing? Sounds similar to the problems I'm having. Just curious if you've found some resolutions and any evidence in the microscope.

At the moment everything is much the same. I've had my 3 plecs in a separate tank for nearly two weeks, has made no difference. I've got one more round of fluke solve to do. I just don't know what more I can do, nothing ever changes, they still sit alot of the time. What symptoms are your fish experiencing?

At the moment everything is much the same. I've had my 3 plecs in a separate tank for nearly two weeks, has made no difference. I've got one more round of fluke solve to do. I just don't know what more I can do, nothing ever changes, they still sit alot of the time. What symptoms are your fish experiencing?

Just the behavioral symptoms now, but I've seen the same white spots as on your orange ranchu and treated him with prazipro for a few rounds in quarantine and the spots went away.  The others exhibit general lethargy, bottom sitting (the most during the morning and evening), gulping at the surface, swimming into the filter output stream.  Not every fish does the same thing, but all symptoms point to gill/oxygen issues meaning either gill parasites, low dissolved oxygen, or poor water quality.  It's not water quality or dissolved oxygen in my case.  I've scraped the gills and have found flukes, but I've been treating with praziquantel for almost 2 months now, so I think they are almost gone, but there is some gill damage that is continuing the fish to exhibit the "lack of oxygen" behavior. 

Maybe you could help out with simple instructions for preparing a slide? What instrument do you use to do the actual scraping of the gills? My fish wriggles around so much it's almost as if I would have to use clove oil to calm him down first.

I use a PLASTIC cover slip for a microscope slide.  When I bought my microscope it came with class cover slips, I never tried to use one for gill scraping, but broke plenty trying to use it looking at other things, so make sure you are using a plastic one.  There is a great book, although it is getting dated with some of the medications, called Fancy Goldfish: A complete guide to care and collecting.  It has a chapter on Diagnostic and Health Management techniques that describe in detail how to take a scraping.  Some of the smaller goldfish can be pretty feisty and would probably need to be sedated, but I've never done that.  Not instructions on how, because I'm sure there are better ones out there, but my only tip is to make sure that you lift the gill plate with your thumb enough to actually get gill tissue, and the scraping should have pink/red coloring.  If you just get mucus, you probably won't find anything in the slide.  It's probably not cool to the author to take a picture of the book photos and post them online.... otherwise I would just do that.

I'll see if I can find some better instructions than I could write and post them here.  I'm sure one of the mods have some better directions on how to actually take samples.

, but my only tip is to make sure that you lift the gill plate with your thumb enough to actually get gill tissue, and the scraping should have pink/red coloring.  If you just get mucus, you probably won't find anything in the slide.

Thank you! In my short web searches I came across a link that mentioned the flukes might be only on one side, so to check both sides to be sure... sounds pedantic, but who knows. Also, it says to be careful about lifting the gill cover too much, because it's possible for bones to break (I'm cringing just thinking about it).

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?96462-How-to-actually-scrape-for-gill-flukes&p=1602635#post1602635

Yeah, no expert here.  I just know that I tried about half a dozen times and didn't get any actual gill tissue because I wasn't getting far enough due to not lifting the gill plate enough.  Yes, flukes are sometimes only on one side, and sometimes just on the top or the bottom section of the gill I've found.   I personally would only do this if there is an obvious problem that could not be addressed by general quarantine treatments like salt and prazi.  I only did the scraping because of just that...

Just took a look at the link.  This is really good advice.... especially this part

"As you scrape the gills you should accumulate a nice bead of red bloodied material. When viewed with a microscope you should actually be able to identify gill material as it will be somewhat flower-like in appearance. Although a drop of water is Ok to help dilute the sample it is just as easy to squash it a bit with your fingers. The flukes won't mind"

So where should I go from here? Plecs have been out of the tank for over two weeks, 0 change in fish behaviour. I treated both tanks with Prazi, I've now just finished 2 rounds, I've put the plecs back in the main tank now. The last few days now my black ranchu has two white areas under his 'chin' Sebastian still has the white growth on his mouth that comes and goes, cloud still has white spots on his fins. Pluto and Tulip have now developed some fraying to their fins and white spots. I just don't know what else I can do, I just cannot sort this problem out, they still sit alot of the time. It's making me hate the hobby, I never want people looking in my tank cos all they say is 'oooo your fish look really sick'

Edited by gothicchick1100

• Admin

You know if you can .. I would like you to take everything out of the tank that isnt a goldfish.... If we start from the basics maybe we can figure this out, but with so many fish in the tank its just like a guessing game...

Yes, you can get a storage container.

​What are the dimensions of your tank?

My main tank is 2 ft by 2 ft by 4 ft. 400 litres. I lost one of my goldfish a few weeks back (not related to the problems I'm having I don't think) he was always tiny and had a deformed mouth when I got him, I'd had him about 4 years and he literally never grew, funnily enough I never had any bottom sitting off him. So I now have 5 fancies

Edited by gothicchick1100

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Right so I have a tank. Gonna be setting it up tomorrow, plecs and loaches will be going in. So just 5 goldies in main, what is my plan of action after that?

I would like you to do a good water change on the tank... Then I would like you to add 10 drops of silver in the tank..... I would like you to add silver everytime you do a water change for the next 3 weeks  :)

Right so I have a tank. Gonna be setting it up tomorrow, plecs and loaches will be going in. So just 5 goldies in main, what is my plan of action after that?

I would like you to do a good water change on the tank... Then I would like you to add 10 drops of silver in the tank..... I would like you to add silver everytime you do a water change for the next 3 weeks :)

OK, oddly the silver hasn't actually arrived as yet, I wonder where it's got to. I shall chase it up