Sign in to follow this  
gothicchick1100

Never ending mystery parasites

Just seem one of my fantail flicking his fins really fast, they all seem a bit irritated, probably shouldn't have done 70% water changes two days running?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I really do appreciate your help with this long winded problem, so thank you for keep getting back to me x

Okay, I just read back through the entire thread because I was starting to lose track of what had been done.  I see that you have done the salt dips, but I am unclear as to whether you did the two rounds of Prazi using the schedule I suggested for the main tank?  I may have just missed it as this thread is getting long  :)

Edited by Jared

Yeah that's the problem and yes two rounds of Prazi were done a while back in the main tank and for Sebastian when he was in quarantine

And you did see improvement after the Prazi, correct?

And you did see improvement after the Prazi, correct?

Yes there was improvement

Okay, can you make a simple 1, 2, 3 list of the fish and their symptoms as they appear today?  I think we may need to start a couple of separate threads for each sick fish.  It will be easier to organize that way.

I would also consider setting up a separate (permanent) tank for the loaches and pleco and just keeping the 6 Goldfish together in the 400L.  It is possible that stress from crowding may be contributing to these health issues.

Okay, can you make a simple 1, 2, 3 list of the fish and their symptoms as they appear today? I think we may need to start a couple of separate threads for each sick fish. It will be easier to organize that way.

I would also consider setting up a separate (permanent) tank for the loaches and pleco and just keeping the 6 Goldfish together in the 400L. It is possible that stress from crowding may be contributing to these health issues.

Hello, so everything hasn't been too bad recently, that's why I haven't replied. Sitting is definitely better, but still happens sometimes, the areas are still there on my ranchus tail fin, i'm guessing it's a permanent thing now. I wish I could set up a permanent home for the plecs/loaches, but unfortunately living at home this isn't possible. I guess there isn't a great deal more I can do, just keep doing as I am with more water changes?

Okay, can you make a simple 1, 2, 3 list of the fish and their symptoms as they appear today? I think we may need to start a couple of separate threads for each sick fish. It will be easier to organize that way.

I would also consider setting up a separate (permanent) tank for the loaches and pleco and just keeping the 6 Goldfish together in the 400L. It is possible that stress from crowding may be contributing to these health issues.

Hello, so everything hasn't been too bad recently, that's why I haven't replied. Sitting is definitely better, but still happens sometimes, the areas are still there on my ranchus tail fin, i'm guessing it's a permanent thing now. I wish I could set up a permanent home for the plecs/loaches, but unfortunately living at home this isn't possible. I guess there isn't a great deal more I can do, just keep doing as I am with more water changes?

Okay, let us know if things start to go downhill again.  Hopefully, they will continue to improve :)

Okay, let us know if things start to go downhill again. Hopefully, they will continue to improve :)
Certain periods of decreased activity aren't necessarily anything to really worry about are they?

I've given back my albino bristlenose pleco to the fish store that sold it to me. They agreed to trade my older pleco for a younger one. Maybe a fish store near you would be willing to take the loaches/plecos if you are willing to part with them??

I've given back my albino bristlenose pleco to the fish store that sold it to me. They agreed to trade my older pleco for a younger one. Maybe a fish store near you would be willing to take the loaches/plecos if you are willing to part with them??

I just gave mine to a nice local pet store, too.  I wanted to cut down on the bioload in my tank.  Plecos poop soooooooo much :rofl

I just gave mine to a nice local pet store, too. I wanted to cut down on the bioload in my tank. Plecos poop soooooooo much :rofl
I've had the loaches for like 6 years, there's no way I could part with any of them ????

How is everything going? Hope all your fish are feeling better :)

How is everything going? Hope all your fish are feeling better :)

Thanks for asking :) They are doing pretty well, all the symptoms they had before seem to have gone, all I get now is occasional inactive periods and some occasional sitting, vastly improved though, they used to bottom sit pretty much all the time except when disturbed or fed. Twice weekly large water changes are definitely making a big improvement. I think half the problem before was that my canister filter had been neglected for a little while, I'd lost track of just how long it had been since I had cleaned it. I'm now doing it every 6 weeks.

Right so this morning after a big water change yesterday they are mostly all sitting. I just can't win, I have the weirdest fish in the world.

Right so this morning after a big water change yesterday they are mostly all sitting. I just can't win, I have the weirdest fish in the world.

Maybe, try small daily water changes of 10-20% instead of one large weekly change and see if that helps.  Also make sure to test your tap pH and the tank pH right before you do any large water changes to make sure they match.  Is your tap city or well water?

Edited by Jared

I have read over and over on this thread hun...

1. The biggest problem is the over crowding hun... I just had a problem with this, I did a stupid mistake and had Mollies with Guppies and then I added in Clown Loaches. I made the tank so crowed and un comfy for everyone in the tank... I had lost my Guppies and then the Loaches where attacking my other fish left... Please if you can get rid of at least the Pleco... Plecos are happy at night so you not going to see if its attacking and if you dont have enough room for that guy it will attack... Ripping fins and such. :o

If you just have the goldfish you will be able to take care of the tank better hun :)

Also Are those ornaments in the tank hollow? is that log hollow?

Then the last thing I would like you to think about is Silver.... If you can find one that is at least 50ppm

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Path-Silver-Wings-Supplement/dp/B0049YYYJG/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1469112776&sr=8-2&keywords=silver+colloidal+50

1. The biggest problem is the over crowding hun... I just had a problem with this, I did a stupid mistake and had Mollies with Guppies and then I added in Clown Loaches. I made the tank so crowed and un comfy for everyone in the tank... I had lost my Guppies and then the Loaches where attacking my other fish left... Please if you can get rid of at least the Pleco... Plecos are happy at night so you not going to see if its attacking and if you dont have enough room for that guy it will attack... Ripping fins and such. :o

If you just have the goldfish you will be able to take care of the tank better hun :)

Then the last thing I would like you to think about is Silver.... If you can find one that is at least 50ppm

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Path-Silver-Wings-Supplement/dp/B0049YYYJG/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1469112776&sr=8-2&keywords=silver+colloidal+50

The ornaments are hollow in the sense that they are caves, for the loaches and plecs, what is the silver stuff?

The ornaments are hollow in the sense that they are caves, for the loaches and plecs, what is the silver stuff?

If they are hollow to the point of collecting water and keeping it inside the ornament that is a problem it will cause stagnate water :o

The silver will get rid of any bad bacteria in the tank :)

If they are hollow to the point of collecting water and keeping it inside the ornament that is a problem it will cause stagnate water :o

The silver will get rid of any bad bacteria in the tank :)

What can I do to prevent this as the loaches/plecs needs hiding spaces.

OK I see, I've actually heard of the silver stuff before,

OK so I'm gunna put my loaches/ plecs in a separate tank temporarily to see if it makes any difference. If I were to separate them permanently what size tank would i need for 3 weather loaches and 3 bn plecs? 2 are small, and 1 is fully grown.

OK so I'm gunna put my loaches/ plecs in a separate tank temporarily to see if it makes any difference. If I were to separate them permanently what size tank would i need for 3 weather loaches and 3 bn plecs? 2 are small, and 1 is fully grown.

Well the Loaches need 30 gallons min... so with the Plecos I would say  a 50 gallon would do for  them :)

They really are pooping alot (goldfish) the day after a water change there is huge amounts of poo over the bottom, I'm feeling that this isn't normal. They are sitting worse than ever, I just feel it's gotta be something more than slight over crowding, I used to be quite over stocked years ago and never experienced anything quite like this. They also keep yawning as well, I think I might treat for flukes again, this is the worst they've been in a while, just sitting around moping everytime I go in the room.