Sign in to follow this  
gothicchick1100

Never ending mystery parasites

Little bit of an update: I ended up quarantining Sebastian yesterday as I noticed my other fish picking at her ripped tail, her fins are already looking alot better since removing her, so I'm currently treating with fluke solve in both quarantine and main tank. Sebastian's appetite is good, but she's still bottom sitting with clamped dorsal.

That was probably a good idea.  It's hard for the fins to heal with nipping tankmates.  

Let's finish the Prazi and see how they behave once it's done.  Fish sometimes pout during Prazi if they actually have flukes.  The white slime spots may take some time to clear.  Keep us posted.

Sebastian is back to periods of sitting with clamped dorsal and general inactivity. In my main tank my other fish are doing their usual of acting sluggish, inactive, bottom sitting, fins aren't clamped though. I'm just at a loss with this, it's constant.

Sorry to hear your still having problems.

Might be a crazy thought but...... when I do water changes I usually put back in half aged water and the rest I top up straight from the hose, I add the prime to the aged water in buckets, then i add prime directly to the tank for the tap water, I only ever put in the amount for the new tap water added, however I've read a few things that suggest you should dose for the whole tank when adding directly? Is it possible that small amounts of chlorine are present and could be making my fish act like this for so long? (It's literally been the same behaviour for months)

Might be a crazy thought but...... when I do water changes I usually put back in half aged water and the rest I top up straight from the hose, I add the prime to the aged water in buckets, then i add prime directly to the tank for the tap water, I only ever put in the amount for the new tap water added, however I've read a few things that suggest you should dose for the whole tank when adding directly? Is it possible that small amounts of chlorine are present and could be making my fish act like this for so long? (It's literally been the same behaviour for months)

I think the amount of Prime you are adding is probably adequate.  You still only need enough to detoxify the tap portion of the new water.  However, moving forward, it might be better to skip adding Prime to the aged water and just add a full tank dose of Prime to the fish tank right before you add the new water.  That way, your bases are covered and you won't waste Prime.  The aged water will have dechlorinated itself by then anyway.  Btw, why are you aging the water...for pH?  Do you aerate the aging water?

Edited by Jared

Can I have a full tank view hun?

When was the canister cleaned ?

20160522_151845_1.jpg

Canister was cleaned about 6 weeks ago.

Picture was taken a few hours ago, I just popped in now to check on them and Sebastian (bottom sitting fish) is actually swimming around, dorsal is still somewhat clamped though.

You might consider cleaning your canister if you haven't done so recently.

I think the amount of Prime you are adding is probably adequate.  You still only need enough to detoxify the tap portion of the new water.  However, moving forward, it might be better to skip adding Prime to the aged water and just add a full tank dose of Prime to the fish tank right before you add the new water.  That way, your bases are covered and you won't waste Prime.  The aged water will have dechlorinated itself by then anyway.  Btw, why are you aging the water...for pH?  Do you aerate the aging water?

Ok thank you, I have to age it to bring it up to temperature, otherwise my tank goes from 22 c to like 15 c

20160601_210356.jpg

Picture taken tonight, excess slime coat, run down fish :( so disappointed as he really seemed to perk up. I just don't know what more I can do for these fish, it's a complete mystery to me.

20160601_210352.jpg

I feel like I should just empty my entire tank, sterilise everything and start again, it's making me so depressed.

There seems to be a pattern to it, they always perk up in the evenings and act like normal healthy fish. Their appetite is always good so I just can't understand whats going on.

Ok thank you, I have to age it to bring it up to temperature, otherwise my tank goes from 22 c to like 15 c

Can you not adjust the temperature at the faucet by running both hot and cold together?  I do this, check with a thermometer and adjust until it matches the tank.  Then I fill the tank.

When are you done with the Prazi? 

Edited by Jared

I'm thinking salt dip for this fish, but I want to see what the others think, first.

Can you not adjust the temperature at the faucet by running both hot and cold together?  I do this, check with a thermometer and adjust until it matches the tank.  Then I fill the tank.

I have a watersoftener on my main taps and I was always under the impression that it's harmful to the fish? I fill up my tank using the drinking watertap (unsoftened)

When are you done with the Prazi?

Prazi finished in main tank on sunday, and for the quarantine tank last dose is today. In the main tank the fish haven't actually been sitting so far since last night, very surprised, however there appears to be more splits in my black ranchu's tail, I'm going to clean the canister out at the weekend.

Just done a 50% water change in the main tank, fish are more active but there is definitely more fin splits going on with my black ranchu and my lionhead (with the white bumps on his tail) now has a split in his pectoral fin

Okay, my preferred method is what I mentioned earlier.  That would be to remove the Plecos and loaches and salt the main tank to 0.3% and maybe even 0.5%.  Then, you could treat the Pleco and loaches with Paraguard in the QT.  This would achieve two things:  1) It would safely treat everyone for parasites.  It would help us determine whether the Plecos or loaches may be the cause of the split fins.  My only concern is that the 40L container is too small for them.  So, the other option would be to try Paraguard in the main tank and treat everyone together.  This will be more expensive than salting the big tank, it may not work as well as salt and it wouldn't help determine if there is nipping happening at night.

For the Goldfish in QT with all the slime, we think you should try salt dips while you are finishing the last round of Prazi.  You could start with a 1% dip to see how the fish tolerates it and then gradually work up to a 3% dip.  This will strip off the excess slime and kill whatever parasites are on the surface.  

I think we have to assume that flukes are not the only cause (if at all) here.  There are many other parasites that can cause external symptoms such as these.  There is also a chance that secondary bacterial infections have set in, but I'm not convinced of that yet.

I also recommend upping your water changes to 50% twice a week since you have a high stocking rate.  

Also I've just purchased a microscope, I was thinking I could take some scrapings to better determine what these parasites are, does anybody have any knowledge/experience of this?

yes, please do. is it the USB type microscope where the image shows on your screen or does it have a camera attachment? either way, it would be good to do a few examinations in hope to begin resolving your fish issues.

Today Sebastian has lost a couple of scales

can you post a photo of where the scales are missing?

Today Sebastian has lost a couple of scales

can you post a photo of where the scales are missing?

actually, forget the photos, they are not clear enough, i.e, those white spots could be slime coat issues or Ich, but from the photos posted, there isn't enough definition for us to tell (you may have worked through this issue already since i have not read back, but i use it as an example). it would help us more if you take a minute long video, concentrating on all goldfish issues. talk us through your concerns as you point them out. that will be the best way.

This request may sound strange, but would you please test your tap and tank water again so we can see if anything has changed?  If you have a water change scheduled today, please test the water before the change.

Test Results for the Following: 

•* Ammonia Level(Tank)
•* Nitrite Level(Tank)
•* Nitrate level(Tank)
•* Ammonia Level(Tap)
•* Nitrite Level(Tap)
•* Nitrate level(Tap)
•* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 
•* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

thank you for the reply, the quarantine tank I have is 60 litres, I do also have another smaller storage container that i could use as well, do you think this would be suitable for the short term? i can do huge daily water changes.

paraguard is not a medication i am familiar with, where can i buy it from?

i've always been slightly concerned about salt dips as i've seen threads on here about fish dying after them. However i agree it's probably the best thing to do in this situation

i shall also start doing 2 weekly water changes, is it true that the softened water is harmful to the fish? because it would make my life so much easier if i could use it and not have to age it first.

Okay, my preferred method is what I mentioned earlier.  That would be to remove the Plecos and loaches and salt the main tank to 0.3% and maybe even 0.5%.  Then, you could treat the Pleco and loaches with Paraguard in the QT.  This would achieve two things:  1) It would safely treat everyone for parasites.  It would help us determine whether the Plecos or loaches may be the cause of the split fins.  My only concern is that the 40L container is too small for them.  So, the other option would be to try Paraguard in the main tank and treat everyone together.  This will be more expensive than salting the big tank, it may not work as well as salt and it wouldn't help determine if there is nipping happening at night.

For the Goldfish in QT with all the slime, we think you should try salt dips while you are finishing the last round of Prazi.  You could start with a 1% dip to see how the fish tolerates it and then gradually work up to a 3% dip.  This will strip off the excess slime and kill whatever parasites are on the surface.  

I think we have to assume that flukes are not the only cause (if at all) here.  There are many other parasites that can cause external symptoms such as these.  There is also a chance that secondary bacterial infections have set in, but I'm not convinced of that yet.

I also recommend upping your water changes to 50% twice a week since you have a high stocking rate.