Sign in to follow this  
labecs

Gulping air and then floating

Tapping wouldn't work if Boo Boo needed distracting either, she doesn't seem affected by it at all. Nericon just hates it! Since I was 100% sure the gulping was the issue and not the food, it was just something to try. She'd gulp after 2 pellets, or a teensy bit of Repashy etc. Not the food causing the issue. I thought about trying to fix a net to some suction cups and literally prevent her from getting to the top... But the idea seemed hard to put together and was to be absolute last resort to prevent permanent swim bladder damage.

PS - Thanks about the Boo Boo fish! Helen and I very much agree. There is absolutely less regrowth and there are spots where there seems to be no regrowth at all.

Edited by mjfromga

Did you give the duck weed a go?

I think I've got a similar problem with Tom my Ranchu it seems to be after pellet food. I'm going to try soaking the pellets and see if it makes a difference, he is also a gutsy one so prob over eats

I also have a taller tank so maybe surface area and biofilm plays a part??

Did you give the duck weed a go?

I haven't gotten a chance to go get it. I wanted to try other things first, because I am afraid that if it's behavioral, he'll do it even more if he gets used to go up to get the duckweed...Plus the last time I tried it, the food ring didn't do it's work and my filters were a mess and I really have no place to keep it and grow it.

That's right I did read about that blockage problem. I haven't ordered any duck weed yet but I want to try it.

I'm kind of thinking its a greedy fish thing to do. I've got some sera veg tabs than the fish love and doesn't cause Tom to get floaty but I'm not sure if it's OK to use as a food or if it like a treat thing??

Also the surface gulping is heaps less after I do a massive water change and canister clean. But progressively gets worse of course

This is the food I was talking about:

c9e83d05724afa7946aac9c22f4df3c0.jpg

f601af66d5566636641ea0ca88ff9f9a.jpge513f6cabbd25821af4be0e1e3efaec4.jpg

Also, I was just thinking, that Tom started this when I moved the bubble curtain to the middle of the tank. This has resulted in more bubbles staying on the surface for longer....today I moved it back under where I originally had it (under the filter outlet) here water breaks the surface and breaks up the bubbles fairly quickly...maybe it's just a case of too many bubbles on the surface of the water . I noticed you have quite a few bubblers...

What do you think Shakaho and Koko?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe I do. I'll take one out and see if I notice a difference.

IDK, I'm going to get some other floating plants and see if this helps too, water change tomorrow so that should help my guy for a day at least LOL

Update...after what Speckles said about the bubblers, I disconnected the two big ones and just left the bubbles from the sponge filters. It seems to have helped, because he still goes to the top but he is not "eating" air. He just goes up there and seems to be looking for the bubbles to appear and I haven't seen him float any more. I haven't been home that much for the holiday weekend, but I will keep observing him while I work. (The tank is in front of my desk)

Another thing I have put in the tank are some floating plants, I think the ones I have are like a foxtail thing (quite stiff and fluffy) so they wont clog your filter.

Anyway these really help break any bubbles that are drifting across the surface sort of like a ''bubble buffer'' :teehee. You can anchor these to the side with a suction cup as they may drift onto one side after a while. 

I'm really happy this is working! This post has helped me work though the gulping prob too (bit of a brain storm), thanks :thumbup2: