Is This Dirt Okay To Use?

GothSpice

It's similar to a lot of other organic dirts that people use (i.e., Miracle-Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix, John Innes No. 3, etc.), but the thing I see being a possible cause for concern is what "organic fertilizer" is. That's a bit vague, but could be nothing. All the other dirts people use have a specific fertiliser breakdown (i.e., in chemicals) or tell you what the organic waste is.

How are you using it?  As part of the substrate or in pots?

Put a pot of it in some water and check to see if it alters the pH.  Expect it to color the water some.

"Organic fertilizer" can contain materials of biological origin, and naturally-occurring (often mined) minerals. 

Maybe do a tester bowl or jar.  See what it does to the water test.  Get as much of the wood chips out as possible. Good luck.

I can tell you this... Bark floats. There will lrobably be floaties all over the tank. Are you covering this with gravel? I would also think there will be a rise in ammonia, nitrate etc for a while?

Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm going to be using this as substrate with a gravel cap. I went ahead and sifted it all through a colander last night to remove all the wood chunks. I'll definitely do a little water test before using it! That's a really good idea. And I'm going to be doing a month-long fishless cycle on this, so if I get an ammonia spike or two at first I'll live. But definitely gonna test that PH now.

Yeeaahhh so I just put a shot glass with this dirt tightly packed in it into a spaghetti pot and carefully filled it with water, and literally ALL of the dirt floated. Hahaha NOPE. Not going in my tank, no thank you. Yeesh. Alright, well the garden will love it at least XD Back to the store to find something different :/

It just might need to soak a couple days. I used Miracle-Grow Organic Potting Mix  in my dirtied tank. I also use that when I planted my new roses.