Sign in to follow this  
ChrissieA

Thoughts on Fiona

Your fish all look thin.  You may be the first person in the history of this board to succeed in underfeeding goldfish!  :D  (Excuse my little joke, but many have said there is no such thing as an underfed pet goldfish.)  Don't worry, you have done them no harm.  Overfeeding does lots of harm.

Try doubling their food (2 feedings a day of the amount you feed now) .  Since they have been in these tanks for a month, unless you have vigorously scrubbed the tanks repeatedly, the QTs may be cycled, which explains the lack of ammonia and nitrite.  In a cycled tank, the bacteria have reached the maximum population allowed by the food supply.  On average, you have a half-starved population of nitrifiers, which can consume twice as much food as they get now.  This means you may not have to increase water changes if you gradually increase the food.  If you don't see an increase in ammonia/nitrite after 3 days of double rations, go for triple rations.  

When you do move them to the big tank, pour the water out of the QTs, rinse them with clean, conditioned  water, dump, add some more of the water and scrub the bottom and the walls of the tanks with a pad.  If you get some cloudy water, that contains a lot of nitritfiers,  so pour it into the new tank.  

It's funny because I went fish peeping today and all the single tailed fish I saw were skinny like those. I only JUST NOW realized by the pics Sharon posted that they're supposed to be "round". I thought that single tailed fish were supposed to look thin. Silly me!

Hehe oh no :(

I've bumped the feeding up a bit since we started down this road so I'll up it again.

I only scrubbed franks qt when he had dropsy, since he's been well I've left it, and the other 2 totes alone.

Should I still salt Fiona?

Your call on the salt.  Since she had flared gills when you got her, she probably suffered some gill damage -- possibly from ammonia -- before you got her.  Salt at this level won't hurt her, and can make breathing easier.  If she feels better, she eats more and you can fatten her up a bit.