Sign in to follow this  
Phil B.

Surface splashing. Whats going on?

Spots behaving very oddly today.  Bottom sitting, then occasionally darting to the surface to make a huge splash then sinking back again. I've even seen him skim he surface sideways before diving down again. Any idea what might be going on?

Ammonia and Nitrites are both very low to non-existent. It is a bit warm today, and water temps are up to nearly 74, so I'mve turned the Aquaclear flow up to full to get plenty of surface movement. Any ideas?

I hate this. Did a 40% water change and he's still doing it. :(

And today he's perfectly normal. These piggies are going to be the death of me.

Aww Phil, i completely understand how you feel! It can be so frustrating when you're trying and trying and doing all the right things and yet something is wrong. I have my fingers crossed that everything comes good for you and you have a long period of stress free fish keeping!

Splashing with no other behavior is pretty normal, especially if rush see you near the tank. Very likely he wants food and knows that's where it enters the water :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

You know you might try is DuckWeed... Place some in the tank, let the little one munch on it... You might be surprised how good that stuff is for them :thumbs:

Combined with the bottom sitting I do not think this is normal behavior. My fish do it sometimes too. I wonder if they are trying to gulp some air.

Was there bottom sitting? I didn't see that in phil's description? That would be more concerning combined with it, but just swimming up and down between riffling around the substrate and the surface is not a problem. Lethargically floating of laying and then darting to the surface and filling before settling into stillness again would be something of a red flag for me.

Edited by Arctic Mama

The first line of his original statement says bottom sitting.

Try adding more oxygen to the tank. Most people run a airpump on their tanks

Spots behaving very oddly today.  Bottom sitting, then occasionally darting to the surface to make a huge splash then sinking back again. I've even seen him skim he surface sideways before diving down again. Any idea what might be going on?

Ammonia and Nitrites are both very low to non-existent. It is a bit warm today, and water temps are up to nearly 74, so I'mve turned the Aquaclear flow up to full to get plenty of surface movement. Any ideas?

Have you Prazied? What is the Ph and kph ?

Huh. My eye must have skipped past that. Phil, why don't you start a thread in the disease section and post some video of the fish in question and the behavior, along with filling out the form. That way we don't miss pertinent details and can better assist you. Sound good?

Huh. My eye must have skipped past that. Phil, why don't you start a thread in the disease section and post some video of the fish in question and the behavior, along with filling out the form. That way we don't miss pertinent details and can better assist you. Sound good?

That was going to be my next post but Justine Happened lol

Hi guys. He was fine for a week, now he's doing it again. Sitting on the bottom in the corner, then occasionally rushing to the surface with a huge splash. Seemed to happen shortly after I gave everyone their morning Repashy feeding.

I guess I'd better post in the Sick Fish section.

As for Koko's questions, I did a Prazi treatment a couple months ago. The pH is around 7.6 or 7.8. Not sure what the hardness is. But that's been pretty consistent.

Do post in the D/D section so that it gets the proper attention.

And once again, he seems to have made a full recovery.  :huh:

Praziquantel is a great option as a prophylactic in any case, as it's very safe.

As for the coming to the surface and splashing, my goldfish does it every time after a feed. I assume that he's adjusting his swim bladder. He frequently makes a mess that I have to clean up, but because I love him I don't get mad. I call him the fabulous splashpuppy!

The bottom-sitting part is where the prazi might be worth trying. I use the Hikari product, because it's easier than dissolving the powder, and as an OCD freak I hate mess (did you hear that my splashpuppy?!).