What Aquasoil Should I Get?

So I was halfway through my fishless cycle on my new 55 gallon dirted planted tank, when I found snails. So I'm tearing it down and starting all over. I was using organic potting soil, but honestly it's been more trouble than it's worth. So now I'm looking for a good, cheap aquasoil. Does anyone have any suggestions? I intend to cap it with small gravel, sloping up in one corner to make a sort of "hill".

I don't know what the prices are like in the US at the moment, but ADA Aquasoil is currently the cheapest I can get here ($45 for 9L). Specifically designed aquatic soils are expensive. Potting mix is still your cheapest bet, another option would be akadama (bonsai soil). A lot of people on UKAPS liked using akadama a few years ago.

Oh that's... That is WAY out of my price range! Nope. Alright, I guess it's back to the organic potting mix then... Is there a particular trick to get all the floating chunks out? Maybe run it through a sieve or something before putting it in my tank?

Things floating really shouldn't be a problem since you're capping it with sand or gravel. If anything floats up (usually twigs or bits of bark), I'd just skim it off with a net.

If lots of things are floating up regularly, I'd consider whether your capping layer is thick enough.

Edited by dan in aus

Whats wrong with snails? Snails are a vital part of an ecosystem, which is essentially what you are trying to create. They do more good than harm. Keep them in mind, they eat dead/ decaying plant matter for you and left over food.

Whats wrong with snails? Snails are a vital part of an ecosystem, which is essentially what you are trying to create. They do more good than harm. Keep them in mind, they eat dead/ decaying plant matter for you and left over food.

Someday I fully intend to get a non-asexually reproducing snail or two, but there's already dozens of tiny snails in my tank, and there will soon be more. Not only are they breeding like mad, I live near many creeks and rivers. If even one of these suckers gets in the local waterways and starts asexually reproducing, it could be DEVASTATING to our local ecosystem. And on top of all of that, they're decimating my plants.

As someone who whispers "I'm sorry" every time I kill a mosquito, and is terrified of spiders but still catches them in cups and releases them outside where they'll be safe, this has been a pretty upsetting decision to make. But like Spock said "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few". If it were just a matter of me going "ew snails" , I'd let them get on with their lives in my aquarium. But I absolutely CANNOT risk them getting into the local waterways.

So, unfortunately, they must go :'(

Thats a reasonable answer.

However the kind of snail that im guessing you have probably don't eat plants. The chances of you getting away without having snails in a planted aquarium are rare. You will need to disinfect all of your plants. Uprooting and messing with them will probably hurt them even more, but you wont get the eggsacks without removing and disinfecting. Anytime you get new plants you will need to disinfect and probably QT them to make sure you got all the creatures.

If you think the snails are eating your plants maybe your plants are not doing well to begin with...they eat decaying plants.

I have ramshorn, pond snails and MTS in my tank and my live, doing well plants dont get eaten.

You might be able to ROAK them to other people who do want them. For some reason i have a hard time keeping a decent population of ramshorn and pond snails. I think my MTS out compete them.

Good luck!

I've got pest snails in my tank and waterways with endangered species within a few 100m. I can honestly say I'm not worried about them getting out. I'm pretty careful about how I get rid of plant matter. The more concerning thing are non-native plants ending up in the rainforest. The local council has pulled out hundreds of saplings for things that aren't native -- I even saw corn down there at one point.

To be fair, even disinfecting plants isn't likely to get all the snail eggs. I've had them survive bleach dips numerous times.