Sign in to follow this  
RobertTheOranda

Moved 1 large oranda and 1 raunchu to new 40gB tank. Came home to lifeless oranda. He's still fighting!

It might  be wise to move him to a quarantine where he can have some peace and we can better address his issues. You'll need to do large daily water changes to keep the water parameters as perfect as possible.  Give him some time to adjust and don't put lights on his tank.  After that, offer him something more enticing like frozen bloodworms and see if he'll eat.

Edited by Jared

If Robert experienced ammonia poisoning in the uncycled tank, his gills have suffered injury.  Consider that the gills function for both gas exchange and waste elimination, and you can see how he would be miserable. 

I'll offer my latest idea, just for Robert.  Set up one of the new tanks with 10 gallons of clean, conditioned water. You now have a perfect hospital tank -- shallow water with plenty of swimming space.  A fish with buoyancy problems can swim  in this.  Add 10 teaspoons of salt, an airstone, and Robert.  Don't worry about a filter, since you will change all of the water daily.

Then you can work on finding something he might like to eat, without having to overfeed a tank full of fish. 

Edit:  I see Jared beat me to it by a few minutes.  :D

Edited by shakaho

If Robert experienced ammonia poisoning in the uncycled tank, his gills have suffered injury.  Consider that the gills function for both gas exchange and waste elimination, and you can see how he would be miserable. 

I'll offer my latest idea, just for Robert.  Set up one of the new tanks with 10 gallons of clean, conditioned water. You now have a perfect hospital tank -- shallow water with plenty of swimming space.  A fish with buoyancy problems can swim  in this.  Add 10 teaspoons of salt, an airstone, and Robert.  Don't worry about a filter, since you will change all of the water daily.

Then you can work on finding something he might like to eat, without having to overfeed a tank full of fish. 

Yes, great idea to keep the water shallow.

Fed them a very small amount of the hikari pellets today, maybe about a teaspoon. 

That would be a normal feeding for 5 of my goldfish.  They look fat and healthy to me.

Edited by shakaho

Fed them a very small amount of the hikari pellets today, maybe about a teaspoon. 

That would be a normal feeding for 5 of my goldfish.  They look fat and healthy to me

I feed probably closer to a table spoon a day, I will have to cut this down a bit then.

I liked this idea - but good news! Robert was savaging, sucking up sand and spitting it out today. I fed the fish and he gobbled up some pellets. Not many but a few. So his appetite is back. I will continue water changes and small feedings.

Should I still do the special tank for him?

As long as he feels good, he doesn't need special treatment.

:clapping:

Yay, Robert!