Sign in to follow this  
amoonklein

Klein Kastle Tank Upgrade

Chris here... Beautifully done!!! Enjoy!!! :)

!! FANTASTIC JOB!!:-)

That is going to be beautiful!  I really like the dimensions, and you did an excellent job with the stand. 

Chris here... Beautifully done!!! Enjoy!!! :)

Thanks, guys!  I am definitely pleased with the progress and am happily tooting my own horn right now :D

It's been over a month and I haven't done a thing with the tank except for the usual water changes.

My time has been devoted to the fry.  They are growing up so fast and turning into cute water monsters.  Between their water changes, and trying to get a plan to rehome most of them, my time on the main tank has been put on hold.

I do have exciting news though... my Hubby got me Joey Mullen's "The Ultimate DIY Handbook" as an early birthday present :D Score!  I'm so excited to nerd out and read this book because I really want to build my own filtration system for the tank.  Plus it has all kinds of great information that I'll be able to use on the tank.  I think it will be an invaluable tool for me overall. 

In other news, I moved the stock tank outside and turned it into a patio pond for the fry that I'm keeping.  I'll end up posting in the Goldfish Pond section soon :D  Fun times.

This is BRILLIANT!!

Thank you :D  Hopefully I can start working on it again soon!

I've made some good progress on the tank in the past month.  I had been planning on using the built-in overflow on the tank somehow and finally decided on an emerged trickle filter.

I knew I'd have to drain the tank in order to get the sump set up, so I used that as an opportunity to pull all that nasty paper off of the bottom of the tank.  Every time the sand moved and exposed the bottom of the tank, I could see ugly brown paper and it was bugging me.  

20160827_143024_zpsrdepnk8v.jpg

20160827_143031_zpszatnm1jg.jpg

That's about half-way through... it was REALLY stuck on there.  I ended up using WD40 and an old credit card on the really stubborn bits.  The process took much longer than I anticipated (naturally).

I figured since it was a nice clean bottom, I'd go ahead and paint it black :D

20160828_151140_zpsqzhkntmv.jpg

Pretty.

For the sump, I settled on a 40g breeder.  The dimensions of the tank fit perfectly inside the stand, it could hold the trickle tower, enough water when running to give some more overall water volume for the goldfish, and left enough room to easily hold extra water when/if the power goes out.  

I used my book and youtube videos from The King of DIY to make the sump.  I already had a plastic storage tower on hand (hooray) so all I needed were a bunch of plastic pot scrubbies which I found at a local dollar store.  Surprisingly enough, I didn't buy them out!  I did get weird looks though since I had a shopping cart FULL of these things :)  I drilled 1/8" holes on the bottom of each drawer and brought the tower inside to do a quick test.  I used an inexpensive Kedsum pump I found on Amazon that pushes 550 gph and the flow was enough to provide a nice shower out of the drawers.  Sweet.

20160828_151134_zpslh8pwbzv.jpg

Before I put the sump under the tank, I measured and drilled holes in the plywood base so I could get my plumbing set-up first.  It was a tight squeeze... the corner bracing for the stand was in the way, so I had to remove part of it in order to get the holes drilled in the right place.  I'll end up relocating once of the 2x4 braces and finding another way to reinforce that corner.

20160828_174623_zpswgrrxw8x.jpg

That sloppily-put-together PVC was VERY temporary.  I used what I had on hand to make sure everything would run as intended, then went back to the hardware store for to pick up PVC and cement to properly fit a union ball valve.

Getting the tank moved back into place

20160828_181929_zpshqmplhcf.jpg

Finally getting everything together for the fill test!

20160828_200450_zpsrf5fu7la.jpg

The top drawer of the tower has filter floss, the second tower has a bunch of pot scrubbies and is emerged, and the third tower is mostly submerged with media from my canister on the bottom topped off with more pot scrubbies.

The goldfish were SO happy to be back in their home.  Poor guys were all packed into a small holding tank (70QT) while I worked.

20160828_200503_zps5ekx3cqj.jpg

For the overflow, I went with a durso style intake (to help eliminate noise) and used 1" PVC pipe coming from the bulkhead.  I fit a 1" T onto the pipe positioned about 2" below the weir and added a 1" 90 degree elbow.  On the top of the T, I put a bit more 1" pipe then added a cap (with a small hole drilled in the top of the cap).

20160828_174612_zpshcly4aw6.jpg

For the return, I used parts from my Marineland canister

20160828_200511_zpslihvbwwr.jpg

Testing was successful and it's been up and running since August 28 :D  Of course, I don't have current pics showing the final plumping but I'll take some so I can post them and look back fondly on my accomplishment  *patting self on back*

With such a long tank, there were definitely issues with the water flow.  Although I can modify where the return is located, I figured I'd give it a go using the pre-drilled holes that were available.  To get better circulation, I put in a UV sterilizer I had on hand and this got water moving from the opposite side of the tank.

Definitely still a work in progress, but I'm very happy with how it's coming along...

So much more to say, but I think I'll do that in another post :)

Such a good job and well done! I love the dimensions of the tank. I'd love a smaller version of this one day. It's good you have taken your time on it to get it right. Looking amazing :clapping:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris here... Wow!!! Allie that tank is amazing!!! I thought my tank was big... But since it's the size of your sump tank, I guess it's dinky... :rofl3

Row boat vs a Royal Caribbean Cruise ship.... :tomuch:

Wow amazing work!

Amazing!! I love it! :D:nana I am very jealous haha I want that tank!

Looks amazing Allie!!!!! You did an incredible job!!!!

Chris here...  so now that you have painted the bottom...  Are you doing a bare bottom or are you going back to sand???  :)

Such a good job and well done! I love the dimensions of the tank. I'd love a smaller version of this one day. It's good you have taken your time on it to get it right. Looking amazing :clapping:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you :D  I lucked out with the dimensions for sure.  I love that it is relatively shallow and think Hef appreciates less depth as well since he has issues with his swim bladder.

Chris here... Wow!!! Allie that tank is amazing!!! I thought my tank was big... But since it's the size of your sump tank, I guess it's dinky... :rofl3

Row boat vs a Royal Caribbean Cruise ship.... :tomuch:

OMG  :tomuch: I think it looks a lot bigger than it is :)  Most tanks that hold this amount of water aren't as long and are taller.  Of course, the length makes it look like a behemoth!!

And your tank IS big!  I know because my back hated my for days after trying to lug it and get it positioned under that stand  :P

Wow amazing work!

Thank you :D  That means a lot considering I think your tank is gorgous and I love your pond!!!

Amazing!! I love it! :D:nana I am very jealous haha I want that tank!

Thanks, Mikey :D  I'm a little biased, but I love it too  :teehee

Looks amazing Allie!!!!! You did an incredible job!!!!

Thanks a bunch, Dawn :)  Lots more to do, but I'm happy with the progress I've made.

Chris here...  so now that you have painted the bottom...  Are you doing a bare bottom or are you going back to sand???   :)

For now, I think I'm going to leave it bare bottom.  I love the look of sand and I know the goldies enjoy sifting through it during the day, but it's so nice being able to clean the tank more easily without substrate.  I have the sand set aside in case I change my mind though... I like options!