Well water

Will using well water  change the way my tank will cycle?   Any difference in the products added to the tank?

• Helper

Depends on the well - my inlaws have one that kept giving the fish the bends and killing them. They have to pump the water into a trash can and aerate and offgas it a bit first. High iron, copper, or arsenic content it also something to consider. Not every well, especially more shallow ones, has problems. But definitely watch for odd behavior or symptoms like bubbles under the skin, twitching, side laying, etc.

• 2 months later...

When I brought my well water  in to be tested, it wasn't given a thorough test.  My Nitrates and PH  are pretty high.  My fish have  adjusted to the PH level, but the Nitrates are an ongoing  battle. The landlord is looking into a Nitrate filter  for the well, but we need to know just how mush change will  take place. 

I looked into the   RO filters, but  they  use 3 gallons of water to make 1 gallon of RO.  That's a big waste of water to me.

Until then, the tank has  plants and  Denitrate and Pond Matrix in the filters.

We thought tank life  would be easier with well water, but living out in agriculture land means  anything and everything entering the ground.  

Lesson learned. :thumbdown

Buy organic!

Sorry the well is giving you issues.

Why buy organic when you could grow your own organics?  I've you've not yet, look up aquaponics.  You can easily make a simple system to use your goldfish tank water to feed herbs/veggies/and more.  Fish get cleaner water and you (or your fish) get healthy home grown food!

I'm doing this with my goldfish tank, it has a DIY in tank sump (false wall to separate goldfish from veggie roots).  I'm growing cucumber, lettuce, and spinach.  Cucumbers are for the goldfish and maybe some of the lettuce, rest of the lettuce and spinach is for human consumption^^  I also have a [censor] ton of floating water sprite (this stuff grows like mad!), I need to thin it out again as its 4.5" deep (tank is 30"x13" in front section).  My nitrates stay at 5ppm.

Edited by AquaAurora