Sign in to follow this  
GoldnTexas

Lumie has Ich

The spots on Lumie are almost completely gone. Now I dunno what I'm going to do about the other two. I would have to treat the whole system on the main tank so all the parasites die correct?

Ah poo. My Ryukin and my Ranchu both have white spots in their tails now too

Oh, no! ARGH - well you caught it early so hopefully they're rid of it fast. The woes of rookie fishkeeping! Many of us experience it. Sorry it spread to the others, but that's ich for ya. :(

The spots on Lumie are almost completely gone. Now I dunno what I'm going to do about the other two. I would have to treat the whole system on the main tank so all the parasites die correct?

Yes, the main tank will need to be treated. Your tank is cycled, correct? If so, you won't be doing daily water changes like you did with Lumie.

Yes, the main tank will need to be treated. Your tank is cycled, correct? If so, you won't be doing daily water changes like you did with Lumie.

Yes. Should I just move Lumie into the main tank when I get the salt up to 0.3%? Would that be ok?

Yes. Should I just move Lumie into the main tank when I get the salt up to 0.3%? Would that be ok?

Ooh, good question. I understand the need to reduce your workload given what is happening in your life right now. Let's see what the mods or disease assistants have to say about this one.

How long has Lumie been in 0.3% salinity?

How long has Lumie been in 0.3% salinity?

I got the salinity to 0.3 Monday morning. So tomorrow will be 2 full days. I started treatment Sunday morning but didn't reach 0.03 until Monday.

Edited by GoldnTexas

I've reported to the mods. Stay tuned...

FYI, some plants don't like high salinity so if you have plants you should consider putting them in a bucket or something else during treatment of the main tank. Do you have any other animals in the tank like snails etc?

Only bamboo and calalillies in the filter media holder, those are easy to remove as most I just added recently so they haven't rooted yet. Other than that just the 2 fishies.

Go ahead and put Lumie back into the main tank and continue treatment there. You'll want to continue treatment for at least 7 days past the last day you see any symptoms.

Yeah, do take out the plants. They won't appreciate salt.

I think you had a heater for QT, right? You can add that to the 40b and then get another heater, so two heaters in the 40b.

To clarify: You'll want to continue treatment for at least one week after you see the last spot disappear.

Quick update, did a back to back 50% on Saturday and got the salt up to 0.3% on Sunday and added Lumie to the 40 gallon. I don't see any visible ich on any of the fish, even checked under the tail. I noticed that Lumie has a small black splotch on his gill plate, as well as the base of his tail. I'm thinking it might be a bit of ammonia burn from the QT, don't know how since I did 100% every 24 hours. Checked the perimeters on the 40 and they read 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, and <0 but >5ppm nitrAte. No other symptoms of anything, and no ich visible anymore. Everyone is eating great, 3x a day (pellets in AM, seaweed at lunch, and repashy for supper, Lumie is even eating from my hand now too!).

A quick question, when I am ready to take out the salt do I do it gradually over the course of a few days (like 20% wc's but not replacing salt)?

Thanks for all your help everyone. Hopefully this will be the last we deal with ich!

Edited by GoldnTexas

Hello there!

Black indicates healing from some irritation. It could be ammonia or something else. Let us know if more black shows up.

Regarding the removal of salt, your strategy is a good one. That will reduce stress on the fish from a quick change in water chemistry.

He has more black splotches showing up on his body and on his little face. I caught him bottom sitting behind a rock earlier. Do you think he's overly stressed? Should I keep the lights off for awhile? I'm going to try some peas with him tomorrow, I haven't noticed him poop at all. Ugh this is kind of frustrating. I feel bad for him. He looks so sad. His tail fin looks a little clamped as well.

Edited by GoldnTexas

Can you post a video or some pics of him?

Keeping lights off would reduce stress.

Sorry that's the best quality I could get I uploaded it twice and clicking HD didn't make much difference on the upload.

I had to turn lights on to get the pictures as soon as they came on he was right to the front with Hiro and Ru begging for food. I'm wondering if possibly he has just claimed his sleeping spot and I've just caught him napping a couple times. After they eat he's fine, it's usually around sunset he goes and hides. It's also water change day so I will see if that helps. Should I clean one of my filters this go too?

Edited by GoldnTexas

Could be a color change. Usually goes from black to another color, but we have seen color changes to black.

Can you post water parameters (tank and tap)?

What kind of filters do you have? What is your procedure for cleaning them? For HOB, clean at least every two weeks (I do weekly).

Sorry I must have missed that last post.

Tap pH = 7.6, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 0

Tank pH 8.0, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates less than 5ppm

I have two HOB aqueon quietflow 50's with sponge and ceramic filter media. I usually wash the media in a bucket of tank water from in one filter, then 7-10 days later the other, and I alternate on that schedule unless it looks really dirty. I haven't scrubbed either of the media slots yet as they aren't gunked up inside. I also have sponge on the filter intakes which I wash in tank water in a bucket alternating weeks.

Lumie has found his sleeping spot behind the big rock, he hovers about half inch off the bottom for the night. He usually goes to his spot around sunset, and will come out in the morning to eat. I think that spot has the least amount of current, the other two (Hiro the ranchu and Ru the ryukin) seem to be in that area too in the morning, but they sleep mid level together.  During the day he swims around like normal. He has almost turned completely black now, so I'm unsure if it's from ammonia burn at the petstore, if its disease, or if its just a color change, i will provide a picture to follow.

He has no other symptoms, breathing is normal, swimming is free and normal. Eating 3 times a day usually, except on peas day, and he loved the peas. I have no idea what to think! But I do think if it is a color change it might be from his diet being upgraded from whatever they feed them at petsmart, or genetics? He was a pretty small little guy when we got him and he seems to be growing now too.

Also, it has been 6 days now without any visible white spots on all three fish. I will begin taking the salt out tomorrow (day 7).

lumieblack_zps6zri9vxz.jpg

Edited by GoldnTexas

He is an adorable little fish and I just hope he's okay!

Oooh, such a pretty fish. We recently had another fish on Koko's whose black coloring was enhanced. I agree that you feeding him better quality food and providing him a healthy environment is causing the color change.

Your filter maintenance sounds good and water parameters look good.

Each fish has their own sleeping habits. Some hover mid tank, some at the bottom. Mine take about an 1 to 2 hour nap during the day, hovering at the front of the tank on the bottom, then around 10pm they go down again sometimes hovering mid tank or at the same place at the front of the tank on the bottom. Sometimes they do touch the bottom and rest there.

That would be so awesome, because I originally wanted a apache oranda but couldnt afford it, so if he adds this black and keeps it, but still has some orange showing like those apaches do I will feel as though I hit the lottery as he only cost us $6! He loves to come to the front of the tank and move his little mouth like hes talking to me lol the others dont really do that much, they do, but not consistently like Lumie does.

Edited by GoldnTexas

I think that some fish can actually feel our attention on them, like a dog or cat can. Maybe Lumie is like that.

My bigger oranda was bronze colored when I first got him. His bronze color darkened at first, then eventually he became orange. I do hope that Lumie's black coloring hangs out--its so pretty!

Hope Lumie feels better.