Sign in to follow this  
Jeana727

My PYTHON needs cleaning!

I have had my Python hose for several years. There are some black spots (algae)? in a few places inside the hose. I have nothing that can actually reach the spots to scrub them out......Any Ideas ?

I just did a cleaning of my hose (not a python, but similar) and while it did the job, it is very heavy in water usage.

I put the warm water on running the hose, then squeezing the hose every 2 inch to make the water go faster in the hose and therefore cleaning off the algae inside the hose near the point where I squeezed. It used a lot of water, but my hose is clean as can be!

Hope this makes sense :)

I tried that. Ran REALLY hot water too. Did the "squeezing thing" it seemed to mostly get the small specks off but I couldn't get the bigger spots (smaller than a dime). I may try it again later!

I tried that. Ran REALLY hot water too. Did the "squeezing thing" it seemed to mostly get the small specks off but I couldn't get the bigger spots (smaller than a dime). I may try it again later!

If hot water wont work, alittle bit of bleach in the hot water will. Let it sit for about an hour :)

Thanks Koko! I thought of that & was poking around to see if this a good idea! I think I'll run some HOT water with bleach in the tub & immerse the Python & just let it soak!

Edited by Jeana727

Ok! It is immersed in hot water with bleach! I'll just leave it there for awhile!! (Couple hours ought to do it......We'll see!)

It is still soaking, some of the spots are apparently from another planet or something! I will leave it awhile longer!

I saw a photo recently (on a facebook group page) where one member had hooked up a powerhead pump to his tubing, submersed the pump and hose underwater (probably with vinegar) and let it run like that for a while.  It was such an "aha" moment and I thought it was genius!   

Alternatively, you could use something like this to clean the tubing (depending on how long your tube is):

http://smile.amazon.com/CrazyEve-Flexible-Cleaning-Interior-Assorted/dp/B008LR2KCA?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s02

Some mildew doesn't bother me if it lasts past a bleach soak. So long as it has been sanitized. Leaving it spread out in the sun to get nice and hot may also help as the UV can break down those stains, but it can also break down the tubing.

Thanks, I figured it really wasn't harmful as it's been around awhile, but good to know for sure. I'd just rather have my tubing all nice and clean.

My Python is a 50 footer so I can't get anything thru it......other than the hot water & bleach.