Sign in to follow this  
Eddie

Bottom sitting Ranchu

Another update. 4 of the 6 fish were bottom sitting again. I went away for an overnighter so I did an 80% water change before I left. When I got back 4 of the fish were bottom sitting again. I tested the water and the ammonia was through the roof. I lost my cycle grrr. I'll keep an eye on them as I've done an 80% & 50%water change the last 2 days. They have perked up but are still yawning again as well.

20160602_104318.jpg

Edited by Eddie

Oh the ammonia was from only 2 days after I did the 80% water change before we left.

I've reported your latest posts to the mod team. Stay tuned....

:hi Eddie,

Okay, let's get caught up.  Where are you with the results of the elimination diet?  Is the Epsom still in the tank?  What do you think caused the cycle bump? Can you just post a nice concise synopsis of what has been done in this thread?  

Thanks for reporting it Lisa.

Hi Jared.

Not sure what caused the cycle bump.  So weird.  Now I tested the ammonia it is how it was before in less that a week 0ppm.

Could my cycle have caught up again?

So we did the Pond Prazi and 3% salt which I had to cut the salt down as I had to put the plecos back with the main tank.

We did 14 days of metro and 10 days of Kana.

Seemed to help the yawning.  

Had a floaty fish and bottom sitting fish, three diff ones.

I did the epsom for 8 days and that is when I lost the cycle?

Weird but it seems to have caught up now.

I still see yawning from 3 fish and occasional bottom sitting.

No torn fins or anything.  

Occasional surface gulping throughout the day even when they haven't been fed for a few hours.

My big ranchu is floaty after every meal as she surface gulps for a goof 20 mins after feeding.

Even when I tap em every time he/she goes up to do it.  I sat there for 20+ mins one time, tapping and pretend tapping the fish so she wouldn't surface gulp and she wasn't floaty then.  But I can't do that every meal.  Especially when I feed them before I head off to work.

The epsom salt has been out for a few days already, almost a week.

Poop doesn't seem to be issue as I do a lot of cleaning daily.

Also I turned the uv light back on and have purigen back in my hob.

Hi Jared.

Not sure what caused the cycle bump.  So weird.  Now I tested the ammonia it is how it was before in less that a week 0ppm.

I would continue to test this week to make sure it is stable.

So we did the Pond Prazi and 3% salt which I had to cut the salt down as I had to put the plecos back with the main tank.

How long was the salt at 0.3% and what was the water temperature during this time?

If it helped, there was most likely a bacterial gill infection.

Has the bottom sitting improved?

The Epsom would not have caused this.  Not sure what happened.

Occasional surface gulping throughout the day even when they haven't been fed for a few hours.

A lot of Goldfish do this.  It is probably okay if it isn't constant and you are sure there is sufficient oxygen in the water.

My big ranchu is floaty after every meal as she surface gulps for a goof 20 mins after feeding.

Even when I tap em every time he/she goes up to do it.  I sat there for 20+ mins one time, tapping and pretend tapping the fish so she wouldn't surface gulp and she wasn't floaty then.  But I can't do that every meal.  Especially when I feed them before I head off to work.

Some fish are just floaters.  It could be a congenital defect with the swim bladder.  However, this fish might be a good candidate to quarantine and do the elimination diet to determine which foods are the least problematic.

Edited by Jared

Hi Jared.

I would continue to test this week to make sure it is stable.

How long was the salt at 0.3% and what was the water temperature during this time?

If it helped, there was most likely a bacterial gill infection.

Has the bottom sitting improved?

The Epsom would not have caused this.  Not sure what happened.

A lot of Goldfish do this.  It is probably okay if it isn't constant and you are sure there is sufficient oxygen in the water.

Some fish are just floaters.  It could be a congenital defect with the swim bladder.  However, this fish might be a good candidate to quarantine and do the elimination diet to determine which foods are the least problematic.

Sorry Jared. 

I missed this post.

We did the salt for 7 days 22 degrees.

I think it's my cycle that is causing the bottom sitting now.

I retested again today and the ammonia is at .5 again after only 5 days.

I'm at a loss.  With the eheim 2080, aqua clear 70 and a med sponge filter i am over filtered for an 80 gallon for sure.

Oh well, I'll work at regaining the cycle and see how they do.

Thanks.