Sign in to follow this  
Eddie

Bottom sitting Ranchu

I did the fast.  2 days and 2 days of peas.  The poo was pea coloured.

I've seen some stringy poo since then but not much.

Can't catch them yawning  but it is still going on with all of them.

Forgot to post I tested the water before today's water change.   Second water change since I finished the 16 days/4 doses of prazi and 3% salt.

75% water change

0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrate, 10 ppm nitrate

http://vid29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/rookiespey/Goldfish/20160515_150215.mp4

http://vid29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/rookiespey/Goldfish/20160515_112005.mp4

Edited by Eddie

Did the gulping and/or bottom sitting improve during the 2-day fast?

Edited by Jared

Do you still have the Hex Shield Food and has the Angels Plus food arrived yet?

Edited by Jared

The gulping and bottom sitting was the same during the fast.

I do have the hex shield and the angel's plus food now.  Kana and Oxy.

Okay, so we are dealing with gulping and yawning which could indicate a gill infection.  We have already treated for flukes and other parasites with the Prazi and salt, so I'm guessing this is bacterial now.  It's probably a gram negative bacteria, so the Kanaplex or the Angels Plus #1 would be the best choice. The bottom sitting, however, might be a gram positive infection.  For this, the Metronidazole, the Hex Shield or the Angels Plus #2 would be best.  

So, since we are dealing multiple fish, what I would do is try adding the Kanaplex to the water and feeding them Hex Shield at the same time (follow package directions).  Metronidazole is usually more effective when fed to the fish.  Let's try that for a few days and see if things improve.  Make sure you have enough Kanaplex to treat for up to 10 days.

If the Metro doesn't work, we will switch to the Oxytetracycline Food.

Edited by Jared

Awesome.  I will start tomorrow Jared.

I have enough for one dosage for my tank.  I'll leave it in for 5 days and do a water change.  I can buy more Kana before the next water change.

I will also start the Hex tomorrow.  

Is it ok to keep my filters going?

Never used it in my main tank before so I wanted to check.

I'll turn my uv off and remove my purigen as well.

I'll redose the kana after my next water change.  I'll split it up into 5 days so it'll add up to the 10 days.

Argh.  Edit.  

I see I need to redose Kana every two days.

Guess I'll need to run out and get more Kana.

I'll need 16 measures per dose.  Yikes!

Yes, it has to be dosed every two days.  You can leave the filters on, but turn of the UV and remove any Purigen or Carbon. You could use the Kana flakes instead, but then you can't feed the Meto or Oxy at the same time.  I think one water borne antibiotic along with one oral antibiotic is the best scenario, here.  But...If the powdered Kana powder is going to be too expensive to dose in the main tank, try just the Kana Flakes and hold off on the Metro food.  

Edited by Jared

Thanks Jared.

I'll dose the tank.  I think 3 packages plus what I have will be enough.  

I think 5 grams doses 120 gallons.  

So for 10 days I will need enough to dose 400 gallons.

The biggest hospital tank I've ever used!   :fishtank    :lol3

Thanks Jared.

I'll dose the tank.  I think 3 packages plus what I have will be enough.  

I think 5 grams doses 120 gallons.  

So for 10 days I will need enough to dose 400 gallons.

The biggest hospital tank I've ever used!   :fishtank    :lol3

Yeah, normally I would suggest a QT.  But, with so many fish showing symptoms, I think dosing the main tank is best. 

You should see some positive results within 3 days.  Let me know either way.

I totally agree on your line of thinking.

Ed

<')))><

Argh! My lfs ran out of kana. I bought 2 packages of metro. After I finish the kana first round with hex, should I switch the waterborne meds to metro and feed kana flakes?

Ed

<')))><

I have enough for two rounds of kana. Hex food says for 4 days.

Thought I'd mention that.

Ed

<')))><

Can you order more Kanplex and have it within 4 days?  I think it's going to be hard to get each fish the proper amount of antibiotics if you try the Kana flakes in a tank with multiple fish.  The water borne powder is a better option, here.

For the Metro, make sure that the bottom sitting fish get their share of the Hex Shield sinking pellets.  We may switch to the powder after 3 days of pellets.

Edited by Jared

Ordered the Kanaplex Jared.  Another local fish store had some but it's over a half hour away each way with no traffic.  Don't have enough time at lunch to pick it up and my evenings are busy with my daughter.  I ended up having it mailed next day service for the same price as what it would cost me in gas picking it up with my truck.  Haha.

Will be here wednesday.

NLS Hex says 3 days twice a day.   So stop at 3 days?

Two of my fish are floaty on the HEX.. Probably from being fed pellets twice today.  One is really struggling and kinda freaking out and can't stay down.  As soon as he stops swimming he shoots up to the surface like a balloon under water.  He is just floating at the top right side up.

Should I skip peas for him while on hex?  Feel bad for him.   :idont 

Edited by Eddie

Jared.  My fish is freaking out doing circles and swimming crazy.  Should I take him out?

I'm loading video.

Okay, let's discontinue the Hex Shield and use the Metronidazole powder with the Kanaplex powder instead.  Dose them together every other day.  Let's also fast the fish tomorrow for the floatiness and to lower ammonia production.  Test the water daily while using the Kanaplex to be sure it doesn't impact your cycle.  It shouldn't, but I want to be sure.

I think the fish in the video is constipated.  I would leave him in, but fast him tomorrow.

Ok thanks Jared. That came on just yesterday. He is better today. I think he gets constipated on to much pellet food.

Ed

<')))><

Update. The floaty ranchu is fine when I fast him but even feeding him peas gets him floaty for a few hours. ARGH! Not as much yawning on the 4th day of kana and metro. My black ranchu still bottom sits at night.

Also looks like a mini cycle. So I dose safe until tomorrow's water change.

Ed

<')))><

If this doesnt work. I would like you to get a tub so you can have the water shallow, then find some Duckweed hun :)

Ok. Thx Koko. I'll try to hunt down some duckweed. I'm bummed as my floaty ranchu was fine until the NLS hex. Like I told Jared, it was probably to much food and to many pellets.

My bad trying to get them enough medicated food. He is just the biggest and fastest when it comes to food.

Ed

<')))><