Sign in to follow this  
Eddie

Bottom sitting Ranchu

I am going to bed, but I will look at this again tomorrow  :yawn

I used prazi pond plus. I just reread the instructions and I actually only used half the dosage as I miscalculated how much to use. 2 rounds. Wc & dose, 5 days then wc & dose. The wc's were 75%. Do you think I should redo it with the full dosage?

Ed

<')))><

Thanks for the help Jared ☺. Rest up. ????

Ed

<')))><

I used prazi pond plus. I just reread the instructions and I actually only used half the dosage as I miscalculated how much to use. 2 rounds. Wc & dose, 5 days then wc & dose. The wc's were 75%. Do you think I should redo it with the full dosage?

Ed

<')))><

Yes, I would redo the Prazi just in case.  You can use the Prazipond plus while you still have salt in the water.  I recommend this:

Week 1

Day 1 = large water change, add Prazi, disinfect water changer

Day 5 = no water change, add Prazi

Week 2

Day 8 = large water change, add Prazi, disinfect water changer

Day 12 = no water change, add Prazi

Let me know how the fasting goes.  If the Ranchu continues to bottom sit, we may need to treat with antibiotics.  Secondary bacterial infections often occur after fluke treatments.

Ed

<')))><

Yes, I would redo the Prazi just in case.  You can use the Prazipond plus while you still have salt in the water.  I recommend this:

Week 1

Week 2

Let me know how the fasting goes.  If the Ranchu continues to bottom sit, we may need to treat with antibiotics.  Secondary bacterial infections often occur after fluke treatments.

You beat me to it Jared :thumbs:

That was going to be my next course of action. Just wanted to see how they did in just salt :)

Ed

<')))><

Week 1

Week 2

That was going to be my next course of action. Just wanted to see how they did in just salt :)

I think the salt is good, but I just found out he only 1/2 dosed the Prazi when he treated last month.  

Ed

<')))><

Week 1

Week 2

I think the salt is good, but I just found out he only 1/2 dosed the Prazi when he treated last month.  

I know, I just didnt want to do salt with Prazi cause of all the non salt with prazi convo lol

Ed

<')))><

Week 1

Week 2

I know, I just didnt want to do salt with Prazi cause of all the non salt with prazi convo lol

It's just no salt with Hikari Prazipro liquid.  Salt is fine with Prazi powder :)

Thanks you two! I will have to get more salt. I ran out salting 80 gallons lol. Should I keep the salt at 3% or lower it to 1%?

I'll do a big water change and start the prazi.

Ed

<')))><

Week 1

Week 2

It's just no salt with Hikari Prazipro liquid.  Salt is fine with Prazi powder :)

:thumbup2:

Thanks you two! I will have to get more salt. I ran out salting 80 gallons lol. Should I keep the salt at 3% or lower it to 1%?

I'll do a big water change and start the prazi.

Ed

<')))><

Keep the salt at 0.3%.  

Ok thx. Will do.

Ed

<')))><

Well.

Looks like it is flukes.  I did the large wc 75%, re-added salt and added prazi.

My orange oranda bottom sat, my red cap glass surfed, lots of yawning, surface gulping, fin flicking and overall lethargy.

I'll keep you updated.

http://vid29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/rookiespey/Goldfish/20160427_184406.mp4

http://vid29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/rookiespey/Goldfish/20160427_185804.mp4

Well.

Looks like it is flukes.  I did the large wc 75%, re-added salt and added prazi.

My orange oranda bottom sat, my red cap glass surfed, lots of yawning, surface gulping, fin flicking and overall lethargy.

I'll keep you updated.

http://vid29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/rookiespey/Goldfish/20160427_184406.mp4

http://vid29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/rookiespey/Goldfish/20160427_185804.mp4

Do you have any antibiotics on hand in case we need to treat secondary bacterial infections?

I have kana, metro, hex shield, melafix, angels plus antibiotic food kana & oxy coming.

Ed

<')))><

I have kana, metro, hex shield, melafix, angels plus antibiotic food kana & oxy coming.

Ed

<')))><

Great, I don't think there is a need yet, but good to have on hand.

Hi.

Just an update.  I am on day 2 of the second round of prazi.

Still some yawning, surface gulping, head shakes, fin flicking but I haven't noticed any bottom sitting.

Also they seem lively and are eating well.

I'll keep updating as I go.

Another update.

I finished the 4 round of Prazi and am doing a water change.  Still some yawning and surface gulping.  I will continue the prazi for another 2 doses in the 8 days as Jared suggested.

If you think I should do something different, please let me know.  

I'll hold off on adding the Prazi until tonight.  I'm on pst for time so it's n.oon now.

Thanks

Another update.

I finished the 4 round of Prazi and am doing a water change.  Still some yawning and surface gulping.  I will continue the prazi for another 2 doses in the 8 days as Jared suggested.

If you think I should do something different, please let me know.  

I'll hold off on adding the Prazi until tonight.  I'm on pst for time so it's n.oon now.

Thanks

So you completed the two weeks as outlined here, correct?

Week 1

Week 2

If so, that should be enough Prazi for now.  Do the fish seem better?  The yawning may be due to residual irritation from the flukes and the gulping may be unrelated.  What you want to watch out for now are signs of secondary bacterial infections.  Is the salt still at 0.3%?

It was until today's water change.  We have family coming into town to stay and I had to add the plecos back in.  My wife wasn't to happy about the hospital tank messing up the living area.  The oranda and black chu occasionally bottom sit and had through the entire treatment.  Actually the chu was even before.  I'll keep an eye on them. They don't seem active either. I've seen all them huddled in the same corner of the tank when I sneak up on them on multiple occasions.

Edited by Eddie

Oh and I followed your suggestions as outlined in your post regarding the dosing Jared.

Okay, you have probably eliminated any fluke problems for now.  We recommend one or two rounds of Prazi every 6 months to control the fluke population as they are difficult to eradicate completely.  The 0.3% salt should have eliminated most other parasites and helped to stave off secondary infections.  So, assuming your water quality is still good, what you are left with is the possibility of internal infections that the salt couldn't reach.  Let's see if the fish perk up now that the Prazi and salt are done.  If things don't improve or decline, we may need to consider antibiotics for the affected fish.

Awesome. I will observe for a few days and report back Jared. Appreciate the feedback. It might also be the water change. My guys/gals hate huge water changes. Even though I use seachem safe. My water tends to degas even when I let it splash to hit the surface as I refill. It helps when I use a sponge filter and micron sock but doesn't eliminate it completely.

Ed

<')))><

Hi all.

Another update.

Still signs of yawning, surface gulping and bottom sitting.

All of them seem to the yawning and surface gulping.

The thai oranda and black ranchu bottom sit through out the day.

All of them still get excited at feeding time though.

Any ideas?

Did you ever try the fasting that I suggested?  I don't see any posts about that.  It might help us determine if this is food related.  Could we also get a video of the tank and fish?