Bottom sitting Ranchu

Eddie

Argh.

Just got help for my dad's fish and here I am again with help for my tank

My black ranchu 2"(sl) just started bottom sitting a yesterday.

He had slightly puffy eyes last week so i just did extra water changes and observed him.  The right one is still puffy (though less puffy) but the left one is back to normal.

He is sitting in the corner now.  I have a video uploading now and will post it when it finishes.

Thanks for any help and also for the help previously with my dad's fish.

Test Results for the Following:

•  * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0ppm

•  * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0ppm

•  * Nitrate level(Tank) 5-10ppm

•  * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0ppm

•  * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0ppm

•  * Nitrate level(Tap) 0ppm

•  * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8

•  * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8

•  Other Required Info:

•  * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Api Master kit

•  * Water temperature? 72 f

•  * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 80 gallons 1.5 years

•  * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Ehiem 2080, Aquaclear 70/300, med sponge filter, 8 watt uv light (running 1 week)

•  * How often do you change the water and how much? 50-75% 5 days - weekly

•  * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 2 days ago 75%

•  * How many fish in the tank and their size? 5 ranges from 2-3.5” (sl)

•  * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem Safe

•  * What do you feed your fish and how often? NLS Thera A, NLS gel food, peas (rotational, once a day).  Blood worms and frozen brine shrimp a few times a week

•  * Any new fish added to the tank?

•  * Any medications added to the tank?

•  * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Prazi 3 rounds last month

•  * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? One eye slightly puffy though he’s been like that since I got him last summer

•  * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? bottom sitting and some of my fish surface gulping though usually after feeding

Edited by Eddie

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

If you can I would like you to make him a Qt :)

Nice clean water and a filter or sponge filter.

then if you can a video after a few hours :)

Also a fun tank video.

Hmmm. Just an update. I walked into the room where the fish tank is to set up the qt tank. The ranchu is bottom sitting, 2 of the other fish were surface gulping and I saw a big yawn out of another fish. Maybe flukes? I just did prazi later month though?

Ed

<')))><

Thank you Speckles.

Here are the tests Koko.

First the tank water, then the tap.

Just to let you know i did the proper shaking of bottles and stuff for the tests lol.

20160422_175408.jpg

20160422_175510.jpg

• Admin

Ok hun well water checks out good..

What kinds of meds do we have on hand and do we have Salt?

I would like you for right now to get the salt to .1% this morning if you can. :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/94546-on-the-use-of-salt/

Ok thx. Should I salt the main tank? For meds I have salt, epsom, kana, metro, melanin, prazi pond plus, quick cure, nls hex shield. I also have the angels plus antibiotic food I & II coming. But coming from the US it will be a while.

Ed

<')))><

• Admin

Ok thx. Should I salt the main tank? For meds I have salt, epsom, kana, metro, melanin, prazi pond plus, quick cure, nls hex shield. I also have the angels plus antibiotic food I & II coming. But coming from the US it will be a while.

Ed

<')))><

Yes hun sorry about that... I would like you to salt the tank.. Lets get the tank to .3% I would like you  to get it there by the end of the day... Do it nice and slow. :)

We may medicate but I would like to do the salt first :)

Sorry for the late reply.  I had chores lol.  I had to dig holes in the backyard for cedars.

I was only able to get salt to .1% tonight.  I will add for another .1% in the am and the last .1% in the pm.

Chu is still bottom sits in corner for half the day and the pearlie is doing a lot more surface gulping.

I'll check in after I get it to .3%

Forgot to mention I have 2 plecos i moved to a hospital tank due to the salt.  I know they don't do well with it.

They weren't very happy haha.

Thanks.

Thank you Lisa :)

Hi Koko.

Tank is at 2% and will be at 3% tonight.

Now my mixed goldie (offspring of my passed moor/ranchu) is huddled with my black ranchu.

Here are 2  vids and also the third one shows them gulping.

http://vid29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/rookiespey/Goldfish/20160424_145705.mp4

http://vid29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/rookiespey/Goldfish/20160424_115721.mp4

http://vid29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/rookiespey/Goldfish/20160424_103100.mp4

I didn't see them to much this am. Will be back at home 4pm pacific. I'll check and let you know. I did see tons of poo in the corner where the other 2 were huddled. I think it has less current there? Either way it's at 3% and I'll watch them closely. :)

Ed

<')))><

Been checking in on them.  Haven't noticed any bottom sitting anymore! Whoohoo!

I still see surface gulping and yawning.

In the end of the video, the orange oranda yawns.

http://vid29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/rookiespey/Goldfish/20160425_162140.mp4

Hi Jared. 

The surface gulping happens intermittently all through the day.  Not just at for after feeding.  i also feed NLS thera A or gel so it sinks.

Also i spoke to soon.  Just walked into the room and my black ranchu is bottom sitting in the corner.  He gets up and swims when I come in the room though.

Hi Jared. 

The surface gulping happens intermittently all through the day.  Not just at for after feeding.  i also feed NLS thera A or gel so it sinks.

Also i spoke to soon.  Just walked into the room and my black ranchu is bottom sitting in the corner.  He gets up and swims when I come in the room though.

Have you tried fasting them to see if the symptoms lessen?

Not yet.

Should i fast them?

I did see some stringy poos earlier but all the ones I saw today were food coloured.

How long should I fast them for?

Edited by Eddie

Not yet.

Should i fast them?

I did see some stringy poos earlier but all the ones I saw today were food coloured.

How long should I fast them for?

It might be worth a try and can't hurt.  I would fast them for at least 2 days.  If this is food related, the gulping should subside fairly quickly while fasting.  Bottom sitting can be due to constipation (although it is not as common as floating), so that could be food related as well.  

Can you also describe in detail how you treated them for flukes last month?

Edited by Jared