Sign in to follow this  
Butterfly

Butterfly's new tank

So, I have a fun story about my new tank.

First, you must understand that I am a discount shopper.  I love my hobbies, but really try not to pay top dollar for anything.   I prefer to DIY or find good products without the name brand prices or do what I can to get great discounts on the name brands.  Doesn’t always work out, sometimes I spend more than I would have if I had just gone with the known deal… but it is part of the fun for me.

So, I’ve been hunting for a new tank for a while.  I have been so very happy with my Craigslist 75g drilled reef tank deal ($100 with stand),  I’d been looking for another 75g… not that I had a real good place for it.  Unfortunately all the listings have been in the $200+ range and well used, none drilled, none perfect, mostly gross.  Finally saw a corner tank come up and thought it could be a contender.  So I started researching corner tanks and found a 54g on sale at PetSmart 25% off (it still is too BTW).  Talked it over with the DH who was less unhappy with a corner than another 75g.  So I figured I would go for the new one rather than a used one (that they were asking more on CL anyway!).

So, got all excited to by the tank on sale online to pick up in store.  Read an article about how to save even more money by purchasing discounted giftcards online.  So, I researched it and found said cards for said store at 20% off!  Worth it I thought, right?!  I went ahead, took the chance, purchased the discount gift cards then immediately tried to buy the tank online.

Well, here is where it gets dramatic!  I go ahead and initiate the purchase online.  The 2 stores closest to me have the tank in stock online.  I’m set!  I get it in my cart, put in all my info, gift card numbers and the extra on my CC… hit purchase and… get an error message saying that “due to unexpected response, the item is no longer available at the store selected”.  WHAAAAT????  I freak out.  (Gift card numbers went through fine BTW.)  Magically it is no longer available at either of the 2 stores closest to me…. OMG.  I am freaking out more and pissed.  I call the customer service number and have a fit (a polite fit) while I try other stores in my “region”.  It is still available at one slightly distant store and I hit purchase… and it goes through!  Or so I thought!!!  The immediate email I got was not an order confirmation but an order CANCELLATION!!!  I didn’t even notice it was a cancellation until about an hour later.  OMG.  WTF???  Right?

So I’m back on the phone with customer service freaking out.  Freaking out because I had already paid for these gift cards and if I don’t get this tank on sale I’m sitting pretty with a whole lot of gift cards for a store I usually don’t shop in and without the tank that I want (and that I don’t want to have to pay full price for… see, I know I totally do this to myself).  The CS rep calls my local store and the tank IS IN STOCK IN THE STORE!  In fact it is still in stock in ALL the stores!!!  At this point I am getting really mad.  Thinking bait and switch, totally.

They call the stores and tell them to update their inventory and the tank should appear back online “within the hour”.  Great… okay, but how about my gift cards?  Oh they’ll be reissued immediately.  Okay, like I’ll get an email?  Oh yes…  Turns out when my immediately cancelled order went through they charged and wiped my gift card numbers and to reissue them they would have to be MAILED….  In a week!  OMG.  So now I’m even more mad.  Now, fortunately I had only assumed that this was an online only sale.  Fortunately I was wrong and the online price was also honored in the store… SO, long story not all that shorter, a week later, my gift cards come in the mail, I go to the store and get my tank!  It is a 54 gallon corner that came with a stand, glass canopy/lid and LED light (not great but daylight and moonlight settings).  I am pretty happy with my deal.  On sale at 25% off and then another 20% off that using discounted gift cards (plus and extra $5 off because I had a promo code for the gift card site!)

So now, my new tank is currently housing my new East Coast Oranda!  I am fortunate to be within the ground shipping range so that made the decision to buy and have a fish shipped so much easier (never done that before).  Tank is only half full at the moment and I haven’t settled on the type of filtration (currently running a large sponge filter) but it is good for now.  I’m pretty psyched!  Fish is so beautiful too.  But the black fish does not stand out in the black tank with the black background so I may have to do some rearranging.  Anyway, I am excited and I must say I would not hesitate and look forward to buying from ECR again.

IMG_0699.JPGIMG_0697.JPG

IMG_0684.JPG

Wow, crazy story but I'm glad it all worked out at the end!  I bought my whole setup from Craigslist too 6 years ago, and it's all holding up just fine!  But you're right, I've seen sales for new setups that are just as cheap as craigslist ads.  

And your oranda is BEAUTIFUL!  Does he have a name yet? And have you planned on adding other friends to the tank? :-D

My 55 and 20 are from CL, too. Glad you got your tank!

Glad you got your tank!!!!

WOW what a story hun... Dang. :o

Well Im glad you got it. I been looking for one of those for so so long and they dont sell them here :thud:

great find and deal WOOOT!

Here is a video of my new oranda from East Coast Ranchu. Look at that chubby face.

(Edited to try to fix video. Meh, still grainy. I still don't have a good handle on You Tube or Instagram)

Edited by Butterfly

Argh, don't know why I have so many technical challenges sometimes.

Oh my that is a very very nice fish.... Can I come and steal it :teehee

Loved reading your story! You goldfish is a happy little cutie!

Beatiful oranda.  Looks like a happy active guy!  Nice job  on getting a deal on the tank:)

I really liked your story a lot, though it seems a tough time to go through but it just makes you like the tank even much better :)

And that fish is amazing!

New friend for my black oranda.  A ranchu, also from ECR.  I am very surprised how zippy a swimmer she is.

IMG_0779.JPG

Love the orange lipstick!

Love the orange lipstick!

Thanks!  I thought the lips were neat too, although it is really a mustache because it is only on the top lip.  LOL.  But a gal because she dumped eggs all over the tank within a few days of getting here.

Here's a neat picture with a weird reflection (hard to take good pics with this curved corner tank).  Looks like she is floating in the air and looking out the window at the pond.

IMG_0768.JPG

Very cooool!

wow I likey :teehee

Very cool! You should submit it for picture of the month.

:teehee Looks like hes gazing out the window

Wow! Great tank & a black Oranda is my Dream Goldie. I will enjoy yours 'til I can get one!!! 

Here's a neat picture with a weird reflection (hard to take good pics with this curved corner tank).  Looks like she is floating in the air and looking out the window at the pond.

IMG_0768.JPG

Beautiful Ranchu and Fantastic picture!!!!!!

I added an LED bubble bar. I like it but it does increase the tank noise.

It looks really good!!!!