Sign in to follow this  
jenzaar

Spots/discoloration on fish

And here we are today :)

H

Did not expect this turnaround at all.

:goodjob:happydance

Where are with with Prazi?  Once you remove the salt, remember to disinfect the plants before adding them back.  Also, disinfect the water changer between water changes.  I'm glad this is working :)

Wow, what a difference! Loving little Betty back there...I think that is Betty...I could have the name wrong.

Edited by LisaCGold

Glad everyone is doing better.

Where are with with Prazi?  Once you remove the salt, remember to disinfect the plants before adding them back.  Also, disinfect the water changer between water changes.  I'm glad this is working :)

Today is the last day of this round of Prazi. I'm not sure if the powdered prazi has even shipped yet. :idont I called a few places (and Tammy too :teehee) and nobody carries it. 

How long should I keep salt in the tank? Even though I don't necessarily need to do a water change to "get rid" of the prazi and dead parasites, should I still do one anyway? I bought 5 boxes of salt so it is doable this time. :lol

Wow, what a difference! Loving little Betty back there...I think that is Betty...I could have the name wrong.

Yup, that is Betty! :D 

Glad everyone is doing better.

Thank you. ME TOO! :nana

So.. i feel so stupid for this :rofl

I took out the big piece of driftwood with all the plants. There was a reason, though now i have no idea what that was and it complicates the "disinfect ALL the things" thing.

I was thinking to bleach it in the tub for a few hours, prime etc, and then put it into the 10g QT with the anubias that will also get a bleaching. And they'll stay in that until the salt comes out?

Or should the driftwood get more than that. :hmm:doh11:

.....and on that note, can the mopani piece that is still IN the tank stay? Or should it get a thorough cleaning too in case stuff is lurking? :thud

Omg Betty...i love the casual sand sifting as she is lying on the bottom :teehee

So, soo happy they are all looking so sprightly...even Betty  :D 

Gosh, all that disinfecting sounds complex :yikes .

Is there a sticky for disinfecting procedures of different materials (wood, plastic, different plants etc)? That would be very handy :whistle 

Thanks Speckles.It's always good to see Betty moving about. Right when i got her i couldn't help but think of her as a little hoover. She doesn't see well (if at all) so i think she just goes about foraging for nummies all the time.

The disinfecting isn't too tricky, i use either bleach or PP. But with driftwood being so pourous, I'm just not sure if this treatment is enough to get through to whatever might be in it?

I have no problem bleaching them, i have before, just wanna make sure i do it right. :thumbs: I think there are stickies about disinfecting. :hmm I'll take a peek. :)

Today is the last day of this round of Prazi. I'm not sure if the powdered prazi has even shipped yet. :idont I called a few places (and Tammy too :teehee) and nobody carries it. 

How long should I keep salt in the tank? Even though I don't necessarily need to do a water change to "get rid" of the prazi and dead parasites, should I still do one anyway? I bought 5 boxes of salt so it is doable this time. :lol

Did you do a 5 or 7-day round of Prazi?  Did you replace Prazi during this time (after water changes, etc.)?  I just need to know the time intervals between the doses.  If you have enough, I'd like you to keep using the Prazipro until the powder arrives even though there is salt in the tank.  If flukes were part of the problem, I want to try to keep them controlled.  

When is your next regular water change day?  Don't do one just to remove the Prazi and dead flukes.  What I would like you to do instead is one big water change a week with a second dose of Prazi added (without a water change) midweek.  I believe the "day off" of Prazi for the flukes to emerge is a fallacy as none of the literature that I have read or praziquantel products suggest that this is necessary or advisable.  However, many of them do suggest a second treatment 3-4 days after the first.  So, you could do this:

Sunday = large wc + salt and Prazi 

Wednesday or Thursday = Add Prazi

If this is less than your normal wc schedule, cut back on food during this time to control Nitrates.

Edited by Jared

So.. i feel so stupid for this :rofl

I took out the big piece of driftwood with all the plants. There was a reason, though now i have no idea what that was and it complicates the "disinfect ALL the things" thing.

I was thinking to bleach it in the tub for a few hours, prime etc, and then put it into the 10g QT with the anubias that will also get a bleaching. And they'll stay in that until the salt comes out?

Or should the driftwood get more than that. :hmm:doh11:

.....and on that note, can the mopani piece that is still IN the tank stay? Or should it get a thorough cleaning too in case stuff is lurking? :thud

Yes, that sound like a good plan.  You can leave the Mopani in the main tank.  Just lift it and suck any mulm out from under it when you do the next water change.

I do the 7 day rounds.

Wednesday 4/13: Added Prazi

Wednesday 4/20: large WC

Prazi added

Saturday 4/22: large water change - prazi replaced, salt added.

So :o could that be considered the 2nd treatment? I am so used to leaving it or daily water changes that i never considered it was supposed to come out today!

I do the 7 day rounds.

Wednesday 4/20: large WC

Prazi added

So :o could that be considered the 2nd treatment? I am so used to leaving it or daily water changes that i never considered it was supposed to come out today!

Yes, Saturday's (actually the 23rd) Prazi would have been the second dose.  And no, it doesn't need to come out today.  Is Wednesday when you normally do your water changes?

Edited by Jared

I really don't have a set schedule. I get one early in the week, and another 3-5 days after, but not always.

Not more than a week apart though. Of course there have been exceptions. But generally speaking. :ignore:teehee

I am too slow today!

Wednesday/Thursday i usually do one. Whenever it seems i should and i can. Sorry I'm so vague!

I really don't have a set schedule. I get one early in the week, and another 3-5 days after, but not always.

Not more than a week apart though. Of course there have been exceptions. But generally speaking. :ignore:teehee

I am too slow today!

Wednesday/Thursday i usually do one. Whenever it seems i should and i can. Sorry I'm so vague!

That's fine, but I think a set schedule will help during Prazi and 0.3% salt if you can manage that.  What day would be best for your weekly water change?

Yup that is totally fine!

Wednesday is good, just to keep on with what I've been doing.

Yup that is totally fine!

Wednesday is good, just to keep on with what I've been doing.

Okay, so leave the tank alone until this Wednesday.  Then on Wednesday, do a big water change, replace the 0.3% salt and add the Prazi powder if you have it or Prazipro if the powder hasn't arrived.  Then on Saturday or Sunday, add a second dose of Prazi (powder if you have it) with no water change.

Got it! Thanks Jared! :D

Good morning!

The aqua meds came yesterday. I was very surprised!

If all goes as planned (as hoped?) I will be able to do my WC this morning, replace the salt, and add in the new prazi. :D

I'll also get a video up.

Let me know if I'm missing anything!

Good morning!

The aqua meds came yesterday. I was very surprised!

If all goes as planned (as hoped?) I will be able to do my WC this morning, replace the salt, and add in the new prazi. :D

I'll also get a video up.

Let me know if I'm missing anything!

Okay, I usually put the powder in a lidded jar with some water and shake it vigorously for a few minutes.  Then, pour it into the tank, fill it again with water, shake again and dump that into the tank.  It will look like a snow globe for a bit, but then it will dissolve.

Edited by Jared

Pro tip: measure in the container you will shake the prazi in.

Was wishing i had done that :rofl

Ok! Sorry for the late reply! I did a 75% water change. Replaced that salt, added the powder prazi.

Everyone looks great. They are super active and I don't think i see more stresking

H

Tell that new Oranda to stop hogging the camera.  Doesn't he know that Betty is the star!

Everyone's still looking great. Betty is a little slimey and has one red dot on her belly, but otherwise the crew is active and looks normal. :D

I'm putting in the 2nd bit of powdered Prazi for this round. For reference, this is what we've done so far: 

Wednesday 4/20: large WC, Prazipro added

Wednesday 4/27: large water change - salt replaced, powdered prazi added

Sunday 4/30: no water change, another dose of powdered prazi added

Edited by jenzaar