Sign in to follow this  
jenzaar

Spots/discoloration on fish

Hi Jenna.  How difficult would it be to pull the plants, put them in a QT, put all the fish back in the 125 and salt the tank?  

If you have a pleco(s), they would need to go into the QT with the plants.

Hi Jenna.  How difficult would it be to pull the plants, put them in a QT, put all the fish back in the 125 and salt the tank?  

Not difficult at all. If I had to burn the plants to help the fish I'd do so willingly.

What salt concentration do we want?... may require a trip to the store haha.

PS: Thankyou :bighug :bighug

oh, no plecos but I do have two nerites. I almost wish you didn't remind me of them, I wish they'd pack up and move away. :rofl3 

Okay, put the Nerites with the plants. 

For the 125 with the Goldfish, bring the salt to 0.3% in three doses over the next day.  Then, we need to observe  and see if 0.3% is strong enough to clear this.  We may need to go to 0.5%.  I say this because I know you QT all your fish in 0.3% salt, so whatever this is may be resistant.

Edited by Jared

Make sure your filters are clean and clear any excess mulm, too.

Ok. I turned them off before pulling the plants so i can vacuum out the crud instead of getting them in there. I'll clean tje fx6 too right now.

I read earlier that sometimes .9% is even used. Was prepared for something stronger than .3%

Any ideas on what's going on? This looks like a secondary infection (brought on by flukes?) or something else altogether?

Ok. I turned them off before pulling the plants so i can vacuum out the crud instead of getting them in there. I'll clean tje fx6 too right now.

I read earlier that sometimes .9% is even used. Was prepared for something stronger than .3%

Any ideas on what's going on? This looks like a secondary infection (brought on by flukes?) or something else altogether?

I'm not sure it's bacterial or flukes.  Could be, but salt is the best place to start in case it is a protozoan parasite.  

Do you have Prazi powder or the Prazipro liquid? 

When was the last water change?  It might be easier to do one before adding the salt, so you don't have to do it all over in a few days.  Make sure to disinfect your water changer between changes.

Edited by Jared

I have the liquid prazi

Last water change was 2 days ago. I just emptied the tank now with about 2" of water left. 

And I'll be sure to disinfect. I remember the thread you made a few weeks ago about that, did you find one method you preferred over the others? 

I have the liquid prazi

Last water change was 2 days ago. I just emptied the tank now with about 2" of water left. 

And I'll be sure to disinfect. I remember the thread you made a few weeks ago about that, did you find one method you preferred over the others? 

Can you get the powder?  

Whatever disinfecting method is easiest for you, but use some bleach and super hot water.

Edited by Jared

Ok.

Yes i can get the powder, but i did add in a 2nd round for the tank on Wednesday night.

Ok.

Yes i can get the powder, but i did add in a 2nd round for the tank on Wednesday night.

Okay, that's good.  My opinion is that with a tank of your size, the powder is probably more cost effective in the long run and doesn't come with claims that salt reduces it's efficacy.  Hikari says not to use salt with Prazipro, and even though we are skeptical about this, why chance it?

However, for today add the Prazipro back in after you refill the tank.  Don't double it.  There is no support that this works or is healthy for the fish.

Edited by Jared

All very true. I should have switched it long ago but... change :o 

What is the brand you use? I have AquaScience at KensFish and another Dream Pond thing that's like $185. :yikes Doesn't Hikari make a powder? :hmm

All very true. I should have switched it long ago but... change :o

What is the brand you use? I have AquaScience at KensFish and another Dream Pond thing that's like $185. :yikes Doesn't Hikari make a powder? 

No, Google Aqua meds Praziquantel powder.  Look on ebay, amazon foster and smith, etc.

Thank you Jared.. We where talking in the back :)

but you saved the day :hug

Okay... The salt may take some time. Home with sick kid today, and I don't think there is anywhere near the 473g of salt to raise it to .3% :rofl

scrath that! Yes I do! :nana

Edited by jenzaar

Ok.

Call around and see if someone has it.  If someone down by us does, we'll drive to get it for you. :heart

Thanks Tammy :hug

I called Trop, knew they have prazipro. But no powder. We did go down the list of some meds i had in the top of my head.

I can't even find salt! :thud

My shoprite only had stuff with iodine or the yellow prussiehdueb thing. :wall

So we're at .1% until i can find some totally basic ... salt :thud

Thanks Tammy :hug

I called Trop, knew they have prazipro. But no powder. We did go down the list of some meds i had in the top of my head.

I can't even find salt! :thud

My shoprite only had stuff with iodine or the yellow prussiehdueb thing. :wall

So we're at .1% until i can find some totally basic ... salt :thud

I have bags full.  Come get.

If you look in Walmart, they have there.

http://www.webbsonline.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=78037&sid=76d6t32krvsk1ai4292r90917xu4365w

Aqua Meds Aqua Prazi Application Rates One gram of Aqua Prazi treats 100 gallons, 10 grams treats 1,000 gallons. Add Aqua Prazi to one quart of pond water and shake vigorously for 3 to 5 minutes. Add this mixture to a 3 to 4 gallon bucket of pond water and mix well. Two treatments work the best. The first treatment will kill all the live flukes. The second treatment, 3 days later will kill all the young as they hatch from their eggs.

Notice the directions.  This is how I like to do it...add a second dose after 3-4 days to kill the hatchlings.

Edited by Jared

Holy cannoli. :o

They're already looking better!

f32ce04a0d1f0b9df14cd216ec6215b8.jpg

Only at .1% salt but I should be able to run out this morning and get the rest in.

It has improved so much!

You can still see some color on their lateral lines, but apart from that there's not much left. It's crazy!

I'll make a video in a little while. :)

I thought i had added that yesterday i did get salt, and got the rest in to make .3%

:thumbs: