What the...?!

FishPhin

So a while back I swapped out some things between my tank and my grandmother's tank (which is technically my tank as well, it just lives at her house because she enjoys it and I don't have room for it). I noticed a couple of pond snails that somehow survived all the cleaning I did and made it into my tank. I didn't stress over it. I mean, a couple of little pond snails never hurt anyone. Well over the past couple of weeks I've noticed a few more snails. I figured I missed them and they are hardy little things and whatever. A few pond snails never hurt anything. THIS MORNING I noticed a snail on the front of the aquarium laying a clutch of eggs. I thought "ahhhh I'm gonna have baby grandsnails! They are going to be so cute if the fish don't eat them and they survive!" Then I started looking and there are at least THIRTEEN clutches of eggs scattered throughout the aquarium!! :yikes Those are just the ones I saw and counted. At this point I am convinced they are like bugs or something and for every one you see there are a million more you don't see. 

I hate to have to do this, but I'm going to have to pull them out and do something else with them. I don't know what. I don't want to kill them. I can not have 784389267128648 pond snails. 

• Admin

Yes, Koko, it is the <insert dramatic music here> pond snails.  :scared

I got them too, but I had a my guppy tank. The only way I got rid of them was clown loaches. But that was a big mistake too as they got to big and tried to kill each other :o

I don't have room for clown loaches. I wish I did. I love them.

There is small lake/big pond right behind my office. Is it okay to take them there? They won't hurt anything there right? And then nature can do its nature thing and I don't have to kill them. 

I have itty bitty snails in my 10 gal. planted betta tank, & lots of them get sucked out when I do the gravel vac. They seem to have reached equilibrium, & there's not too many of them, so I just ignore them. They do actually eat algae, & don't bother the plants.

Where can I get assasin snails and how many should I get if I go that route?

I'm getting ready to do a water change so I'm hoping I can accidentally suck a few up and get rid of some that way. 

I'm getting ready to do a water change so I'm hoping I can accidentally suck a few up and get rid of some that way. 

Here in Denmark, all aquarium stores carry them. I think most petshops will have them. I would get 5, it will take them a bit to get rid of all the snails, but they will get there :)

Here in Denmark, all aquarium stores carry them. I think most petshops will have them. I would get 5, it will take them a bit to get rid of all the snails, but they will get there :)

Ummm ...  What do they eat after they have finished the snails?

I was always told they didn't eat the snails but kept them scared in their shells and they died of starvation etc.

According to my research they will take fish flakes, pellets and algae chips, as well as graze on algae and biofilm.

They can switch between being carnivore and herbivore. And after there isn't any more snails, they will find something else to eat :) 

I was always told they didn't eat the snails but kept them scared in their shells and they died of starvation etc.

They probably thought you were to young and innocent when you first asked that Q :teehee. Kind of cute really  :D 

They probably thought you were to young and innocent when you first asked that Q :teehee. Kind of cute really  :D

Haha probably true...  :saywhat wait who said I was ever young and innocent  :rofl2

I hate to have to do this, but I'm going to have to pull them out and do something else with them. I don't know what. I don't want to kill them. I can not have 784389267128648 pond snails. 

You could try (as has been mentioned) an assassin snail or two. 

There is small lake/big pond right behind my office. Is it okay to take them there? They won't hurt anything there right? And then nature can do its nature thing and I don't have to kill them. 

It's never a good idea to release plants and animals that have been in our aquariums.  There can be harmful bacteria and other bad things that get released into natural habitats that was not there before.

Some local fish stores have them, or can order them for you.  You can also find them on Aquabid or Ebay.  I'd suggest trying Aquabid first.

How many you get will depend on your aquarium size, and how quickly you want to bump off the pest snails.

And after there isn't any more snails, they will find something else to eat

From what I understand, they will eat some algae, biofilm and left over food.  However, if there are no snails for them to hunt, they should be fed fish food or other things with high protein to be sure they don't starve.

Also, I understand that they can and will breed in an aquarium.  However, they breed much slower than "pest snails", they are attractive, and you will have no problem selling them.

Good LUck!  :D

Edited by Acro