Sign in to follow this  
phoebie

New oranda has wen problems

Tank is up to .3% salt, just done a 2% salt dip for both fish (both lasted 5 minutes) and swabbed the wen wound with hydrogen peroxide. The iodine should arrive tomorrow but I'll be back at uni until the weekend :/ his mouth also looks worse today, what should I be doing about this? 918da7210d10c70ead83ad5728873b17.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Sorry for the poor picture quality, they're taken on my phone and the fish doesn't like having photos taken! c9ebdf53e86a1ee5b2fe7629f2a2ccad.jpg

Well I've had to leave for uni until Thursday/Friday so I'm having to give my mother specific instructions for the fish lol, any news on what to do about the mouth?

We are still "talking" behind the scenes...stay tuned...

Look at your beautiful fish! They look like twins :teehee. I hope they get better soon :)

Thanks, I know I adore them

People have successfully treated similar symptoms with a combination of metronidazole, kanamycin, and furan.   I don't know if you can obtain any of these.

Please search for any medications that claim to treat flavobacteria or columnaris.  Tell us the ingredients so we can determine if they harm goldfish.

I'll have a look and let you know

Would esha 2000 or interpet anti fungus and fin rot be of any use?

Or API Furan 2

Ingredients of Esha:

6.3 mg ethacridine lactate (Rivanol)

1 mg proflavin

3.2 mg copper 2+

0.26 mg methyl orange

I saw that but it'd take ages to be delivered in the UK and Louie is just looking worse by the day, thanks for looking though :)

Amazon.co.uk also had API Furan-2 and Seachem Kanaplex, but they seemed very expensive.  You might be able to get them faster and cheaper locally :idont

We don't really have anywhere that does these treatments locally, I was just going to order and pay for fast delivery, I don't mind as long as it helps the fish

The problem with most of the meds is that they need to be shipped from America so might take too long

We don't really have anywhere that does these treatments locally, I was just going to order and pay for fast delivery, I don't mind as long as it helps the fish

See what the mods say, but I think it's definitely worth ordering the Metronidazole to have on hand for when things like this occur.  If you can afford the other two, then they would be good to have as well.  

I ordered some metronidazole off amazon but it won't arrive for at least 9 days, hopefully I can find something else to tide him over until then

Ordered the Furan 2 as well, should be here between Friday and Monday

Hi Phoebie! We have indeed been talking about this on the back end. I'm in w really busy time of year and haven't been online as much as I'd like but I wanted to drop by with a treatment plan.

Kanaplex, Metroplex, and Furan 2 all together. This, along with salted water and lowered heat gets on top of the bacteria and heals the lesions if anything will. Without multiple antibiotics it's fairly hopeless - if it is what it looks like (columnaris) the pathogen is virulent and difficult to treat, but my affected fish that were treated recovered and are in great condition still, so it *can* work. Single antibiotics aren"t strong enough but the synergy of Furan-2 combined with the gram positive and gram negative options really seems to nail it.

If you cannot get the Kanaplex, the Metro and Furan 2 alone may work, but I'd add in methylene blue baths as well. This is one of those things where throwing the kitchen sink at it is your absolute best bet. In the meantime, while waiting for your meds, please keep the salt at .3% solution (about one tablespoon per gallon of water) as per these instructions:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/94546-on-the-use-of-salt/

Salt will inhibit further spread of the bacteria. In the meantime, if you have other fish tanks please sterilize the equipment you are using with them and keep a dedicated set for this hospital tank and sick fish. Everything that has come into contact with these animals must be sterilized. This includes nets, filter media, bowls, etc. You may be able to get away with not sterilizing your filter or the materials inside the treatment tank but any fish who has come into contact with the sick one must be treated as though they are also sick and any supplies or equipment in contact with them or their water must be handled, too. Boiling, bleaching, or using potassium permanganate are all good sterilization options for equipment, depending on the material it is made from.

If you're in for an epic read, here is the thread from a year ago that Jared helped me with on this problem. I've since seen a handful of other cases and the fish affected in my tank are still thriving, as I noted earlier, but this may help yo corroborate or disprove our theory that columnaris is what you are dealing with. You can see the treatments I used and how they worked out:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/121285-excessive-yawning-still-after-multiple-prazi-treatments/?hl=columnaris

And circling back to what you asked a few days ago, don't use the Esha - it won't assist in this case and the copper will just stress the fish :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

Thanks for the advice, I'll see if I can find that third one anywhere :)

Should I still be doing the hydrogen peroxide/iodine for the wen as well?

Also the Furan will arrive before the Metronidazole and Kanaplex, should I start using that while I wait for the others or start all 3 at once at a later date?

Yes, you can add that in immediately and continue using the salt with it as well. Temperature must stay low for the duration of treatment.