Sign in to follow this  
phoebie

New oranda has wen problems

Hi there, just got a new oranda and he arrived with a wen problem, the seller said he may have rubbed it against the bag since he was shipped overnight. Anyway, just wanted some advice on the best way to treat it, I was thinking salt and Melafix but I'd rather get a more experienced opinion on the matter. I'll be doing a water change by default since my nitrates are climbing a tad.

* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrite Level(Tank)* 0

Nitrate level(Tank)* 20

Ammonia Level(Tap)* 0

Nitrite Level(Tap)* 0

Nitrate level(Tap)* 0

Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.5

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.5

Other Required Info:* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drop test kit

* Water temperature? 78F

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 45g running for 1 year

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? All pond solutions 2000ef external filter

* How often do you change the water and how much? Weekly 50% change

* * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Changing it today by 75%

* * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 large oranda (both are new so doing QT together)

* * What kind of water additives or conditioners? API tap water conditioner

* * What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari lionhead once a day with occasional treat of bloodworms

* * Any new fish added to the tank? Both fish are new

* * Any medications added to the tank? No

* * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Just starting QT

* * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Dead flesh on wen leaving a gap

* * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Stays at bottom unless approached or fed

03f41dc69a2c3ddf806a33fefa12bcb0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

When did the fish arrive?  I have difficulty seeing how rubbing against a plastic bag produces a cut.  Did you send the picture to the seller?

I suggest you do a series of  three salt dips on both fish.  The first at 1% salt, the second, 2 days later at 2% salt, and the third, 2 days after that at 3% salt.  Report how long each fish tolerated the dip so we can alter the treatment if necessary.

Get some Fluke Solve, which has praziquantel as the active ingredient.  Treat their tank to two successive week-long treatments with a large water change in between.  

For the fish with the wen wound, after the first dip, before returning the fish to the main tank, clean the would thoroughly with hydrogen peroxide.  Then drip some iodine (preferably povidone-iodine) into the wound, then sprinkle denture powder on this, which makes a sticky paste which serves as a bandage.  Keep adding the denture powder until it doesn't get sticky, then gently tamp it into the wound with your finger.   Release the fish into the main tank.  

You won't use hydrogen peroxide again.  If the wound needs more treatment, use the less-irritating iodine.  

I'm in the UK so I don't have Fluke Solve, but I do have Kusuri wormer plus, thanks for the advice, I'll have to a do a little shopping trip and try to find iodine and hydrogen peroxide somewhere

Hope your Goldfish feels better!!!!

I don't know where to get hydrogen peroxide in the UK so I'm gonna have to order some, what volume/percentage should I be looking for?

Thanks guys :) I'm just about to do the first salt dip at 1% for both fish, I'll let you know how long each last to see if the time scale needs adjusting

When did the fish arrive? I have difficulty seeing how rubbing against a plastic bag produces a cut. Did you send the picture to the seller?

I suggest you do a series of three salt dips on both fish. The first at 1% salt, the second, 2 days later at 2% salt, and the third, 2 days after that at 3% salt. Report how long each fish tolerated the dip so we can alter the treatment if necessary.

Get some Fluke Solve, which has praziquantel as the active ingredient. Treat their tank to two successive week-long treatments with a large water change in between.

For the fish with the wen wound, after the first dip, before returning the fish to the main tank, clean the would thoroughly with hydrogen peroxide. Then drip some iodine (preferably povidone-iodine) into the wound, then sprinkle denture powder on this, which makes a sticky paste which serves as a bandage. Keep adding the denture powder until it doesn't get sticky, then gently tamp it into the wound with your finger. Release the fish into the main tank.

You won't use hydrogen peroxide again. If the wound needs more treatment, use the less-irritating iodine.

Well both lasted the full 5 minutes for the first salt dip, proud of my boys! Also did a 75% water change on the tank today so parameters are at 0 Ammonia 0 Nitrite and about 10 Nitrate, added some Kusuri for now but I'll be ordering the Fluke Solve shortly. I'll also do the hydrogen peroxide and iodine treatment when I get some. Here's how the injured orandas wen looks today, somewhat cleaner but it seems quite deep

83a761ac50b1d020d833859053ec2344.jpg

For those that are curious I'll include a pic of the other fish

71163b164a92e765e41243f7a81b6f4e.jpg

He seems lively and generally happy in himself, just his buddy that's a bit down, although he still swims when provoked and holds his dorsal high

caba71a67905132d2439ff73dfda96d2.jpg

Both are such beautiful fish!!

I'm really worried about the fish now, both are bottom sitting today and the one with the wen problem has white stuff in his mouth, what is it? b60aff54e52e1dc2ea4c1935360c0d8c.jpg

7d00942e0603ef9309018f72bda5f8b6.jpg

Poor things. Looks like fungus. A mod will be along soon. I've got to say, it sure doesn't seem like the seller of these fish was honest. :(

It's so sad to see them like this, I've ordered some Kusuri brand hydrogen peroxide which should arrive tomorrow but I can't get the iodine until Tuesday

Oh jeez, hang in there fish! Giving them the extra bump so disease mods see the white growth on his mouth.

So far, the fish had some sort of fungus/bacterial growth on his wen, and now his mouth has some fungus/bacterial like growth... might be a pattern, but we'll wait till the mods chime in. Hang in there!

Thanks for the support! I got in touch with with the seller and he suggested adding salt to the tank to as high as .5% as well as the hydrogen peroxide treatment but I'm not so sure about that concentration of salt so I'm waiting for the mods

We would like you to raise the salt concentration in the tank to 0.3%, as described here.  I hesitate to go beyond that yet, except for the dips. Taryl  (Arctic Mama) will be along later with more suggestions.  Do you have any antibiotics or other antibacterial agents available?

Do you heat your tank?  If so please turn off the heater.  How warm is the room?

Okay, I just raised it to .2% so I can go to .3% in the morning, I don't have any antibiotics or antibacterials unfortunately but I'm more than willing to order some in, and no I don't have a heater and the room is fairly cool, I'll get a thermometer and measure the temp of the tank tomorrow. Should I carry on with the salt dips? And the hydrogen peroxide?

Just found a thermometer! The tank is at 68F or 20C, parameters are at 0 Ammonia 0 Nitrite and 5 Nitrate with .2% salt and Kusuri Wormer Plus, plenty of aeration due to a spray bar and bubble wand in the tank, both fish are bottom sitting but will occasionally move

Good temperature.

That's good to know, what antibiotics/antibacterials are recommended?

The other oranda seems to have perked up a little today, but the sick one is just the same, I'll be doing a 2% salt dip for both and increasing the tank to .3%, hopefully the hydrogen peroxide will arrive soon as well, still awaiting advice on the antibacterial and antibiotic situation

Barney wanted to look after his buddy haha, but Louie just looks worse if anything, he's definitely losing more flesh from his wen 72721a287ef9a547db35e284f19c05a1.jpg

Aw they are such beautiful fish! I hope they make a full recovery

Thank you, they're hanging in there :)