Getting my mom a betta

mjfromga

Converted ten gallon tank I had into a betta tank. They're cheap, if I need another for my hospital tank, I'll just run to Walmart and buy one. Or maybe I'll go for a storage tub. Idk. Doesn't matter. Added some soft plastic plants, a heater, some gravel, and a filter and background. I love real plants, but the lights on that tank are mega cheap.

She killed her last Betta in a bowl by accident. She killed another one by accidentally squishing him with her bag. She learned about proper care, but even though she got a half moon kit for her Betta, he didn't make it and she decided she didn't want another. Got discouraged I guess.

The first that never made it home was a blue betta, and the bowl casualty was a red one named Red. I'm going to surprise her with a new Betta that's blue and red. She thinks I'm getting a new goldfish. Mums the word. That's the Betta I selected. He's not here yet, but I hope he arrives healthy so I can surprise my mom.

I will allow her to name him, so he doesn't have a name yet.

post-25299-0-93608600-1460615977_thumb.j

Thanks. I've never had a fish shipped to me before, so I am worried... But our Walmart and Petco have some ROUGH looking Betta fish so I took my chances. I also wanted her to have a special one, and I've seen mostly just plain red or blue ones at the stores. I saw one crown tail, but he was $20 and wasn't even in good shape, looked like fin nipping from stress.

Thanks. I'm not well versed in Betta types, but I just wanted her to have a blue and red one because of the two unfortunates. Also, I read that the huge tails can cause swimming issues and encourage fin nipping, so I wanted to avoid the rose tails etc.

• Supporter

My halfmoon betta was shipped to me with nobissues :) he was my first fish shipping experience too. But i agree with the long tails thing. ..i love big fins but he has trimmed his so much he almost looks like a plakat!

Getting on with shorter fins was probably a good choice...easier to care for.  If you want live plants, you could try some Anubias.  They don't need great light :)

Edited by Jared

What a handsome fish! I'm sure your mom will love him. :) I think the next betta we get will be a plakat - our rosetail is gorgeous, but it's so awkward watching him swim & he has to try so hard, now that he's over a year old - his fins are bigger than he is.

• Helper

What a handsome fish! I'm sure your mom will love him. :) I think the next betta we get will be a plakat - our rosetail is gorgeous, but it's so awkward watching him swim & he has to try so hard, now that he's over a year old - his fins are bigger than he is.

Or you get one like mine who is an incorrigible tail biter. No thanks!

• Supporter

Aw sorry that sale didn't work out! Hope you find another just as amazing.

I think short fins is definitely the way to go now....I used to avoid them like crazy because I just adore big fins, but  after all my long finned bettas have torn their fins to shreds If I got another it would be a plakat

Thanks! I really wanted that one but the shipping method was one I couldn't accommodate (needed a transhipper). I'm looking at another one. I wanted a long finned one because they're so pretty... But I've learned my lesson from goldfish about not researching before you buy a fish. They said the long tailed ones either can't hold up the weight well and get lethargic, or they bite off the fins. Sounds like BAD stuff.

• Helper

Many bettas are just fine - really. But some are neurotic about their tails. And you can't often tell who will be what before you buy as the behavior sometimes doesn't manifest until they're older or in certain tank situations. Oh well :). Even with a chewed up tail mine is still a nice fish and well cared for. He just doesn't have as much finnage as he did before the biting began.

Many bettas are just fine - really. But some are neurotic about their tails. And you can't often tell who will be what before you buy as the behavior sometimes doesn't manifest until they're older or in certain tank situations. Oh well :). Even with a chewed up tail mine is still a nice fish and well cared for. He just doesn't have as much finnage as he did before the biting began.

It is so interesting, I really would love to know what goes through they're heads when this happens?? 

Maybe some are just extra fighty

Edited by Speckles