How to kill invasive pond snails in aquarium?

GothSpice

So I bought some floating Water Sprite about a month ago, and quarantined it in case of snails. Sho'nuff, pond snails popped up. So I removed what I *thought* were all the snails and plants with eggs. For the past week I've been watching for any signs of activity, but saw no signs of snails. So today I finally set up my 55 gallon, and added in my plants. As I'm running my hands through the Water Sprite, I feel something squishy. I looked, but didn't see anything, so I got out a powerful shop light, and lo and behold, eggs.

I'm so P.O.'d right now. I did my best to remove all affected plants, but I fear the worst. I spent ALL DAY setting up this dirted/planted 55 gallon. I won't be introducing any fish for sometime, so I was wondering if there was a way to poison the little [CENSORED]? I'm not concerned about rotting bodies messing with my cycle, because I don't even have a cycle to speak of yet.

I don't want to fool around with waiting for them to grow and trying to catch them with blanched veggies in a bottle, I want nuclear holocaust on these [REDACTED] before they have a chance to grow. Anybody know any good poisons? I'm ready for war here! XD

Trumpet snails are good for a dirtied tank.  Pond snails can mean anything and some may be good for your tank.  I can only suggest trapping them.  Or take the tank apart throw out dirt and gravel get new dirt and gravel do a bleach soak on the plants. Resulting in death of snails and some of the plants.

*steps back, takes a deep breath* You're absolutely right Mikey, my apologies. As you can see, I'm rather upset. If my language is an issue, I'd be completely willing to delete this whole post and start-over. Wouldn't be any skin off my back.

As for completely removing all the substrate and starting over, that's simply not an option for me unfortunately. I used the very last of my money only this afternoon buying some more gravel (as I did not have quite enough). At the very least, I've used my net to scoop out every last piece of Water Sprite and Duckweed I could find. I pray this is enough... *shakes head mournfully*

My thought is that you have eggs, but no snails in the tank.  Either way . . . what I would do is pull the plants and give the a bath or "dip" in a solution of citric acid (one teaspoon of citric acid to 1.5 cups of water) for about 5 to 10 minutes.  This should kill any eggs and snails (and algae).  The thick stems of Water Sprite should be able to handle this, however you might lose some leaves and small plants.  The duckweed will not survive the dip.  I would just keep them in quarantine for a month (one week is too short), if no snails, your golden.  If there are snails, you should be able to pick them off easily.  You could also do this with the water sprite if you prefer and would be a less harsh way to rid yourself of snails.  The citric acid bath might leave you with leafless stems.  They should bounce back, then again I have never done this with water sprite, so dip at your own risk.

If you do have pest snails and they are hiding in the aquarium, I'd suggest getting a few assassin snails.  They will eat the pest snails, won't over populate your tank, won't harm your fish and are quiet attractive.

Good Luck!  :D

Edited by Acro

*steps back, takes a deep breath* You're absolutely right Mikey, my apologies. As you can see, I'm rather upset. If my language is an issue, I'd be completely willing to delete this whole post and start-over. Wouldn't be any skin off my back.

As for completely removing all the substrate and starting over, that's simply not an option for me unfortunately. I used the very last of my money only this afternoon buying some more gravel (as I did not have quite enough). At the very least, I've used my net to scoop out every last piece of Water Sprite and Duckweed I could find. I pray this is enough... *shakes head mournfully*

its okay just for next time :) it's a family friendly forum here :)

Yes assassin snails will kill them all. They worked for my

Manager at the pet store I work at. She has a heavily planted 45 gallon and she no longer has pest snails after the assaisns were added.

Edited by Mikey

Thanks guys. For now I'm going to quarantine the plants as Acro suggested, and down the road if they DO pop up, I'll get a couple of those Assasin Snails. Thank you all again!

Gosh, I accidentally killed my snails and I was very upset. I can't see myself WANTING to kill snails...

PS

I have water sprite and they're pretty flimsy plants. I don't suggest trying anything harsh with them.

Edited by mjfromga

• Admin

Gosh, I accidentally killed my snails and I was very upset. I can't see myself WANTING to kill snails...

PS

I have water sprite and they're pretty flimsy plants. I don't suggest trying anything harsh with them.

I can Pond snails are a pain in the :fbottom:

• 3 months later...

I know this is a really old thread, but I wanted to add my two cents, in case anyone else ends up with a snail infestation from plants.  The same thing has probably happened to all of us who have wandered into the life of aquatic plants.  I tried desperately to remove them, only to watch them multiply worse than rabbits.  Rather than take down my tank and start over, I purchased some dwarf zebra loaches.  Within days, all - and I mean all - the little snails were gone.  I haven't had one snail since and that was almost 2 years ago.  Yes, we should always QT our plants, but I know that's not always the case.  I will say that the dwarf loaches are outstanding fish, loads of fun to watch and I haven't lost one.  Of course you can never own another aquatic snail, which I love aquatic snails too.  Especially the Apple Snail.  But that is another topic for another post.  Hope this can help someone out there . . .