Here's my rock eater fish - Nericon

Nericon, who was left out of the last video or so... As she doesn't stay with the others currently (seeking to change that hopefully). But she does pretty well when she's not full of rocks. What a SILLY GIRL! Rocks aren't food!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irFF7sWWNyY

She's doing very well now in her ROCK FREE environment. She's put on a tad of weight and is doing just fine. (SORRY FOR THE MESS!)

Edited by mjfromga

Such a beautiful fish! When I first started, I had gravel in the tank. The gravel was the size that the goldfish could put in their mouth and potentially get stuck. I now have sand in the tank. It is not fine sand--more like coarse sand with granules the size of .25mm or so. If they ingest it, it will easily go through their digestive track.

The other fish have never had issues with the gravel. Nericon obviously isn't used to it and is a tad silly, thinking its edible. She was really feeling horrible! Wouldn't move at all. I'm thankful she was able to pass all that stuff. Poor girl. I'm going to switch to sand soon enough and hope she can integrate back with the others. Have a few water quality issues so may wait a bit, but that's the ultimate goal.

I guess I spoke too soon. After feeding Nericon her dinner, she got severely floaty. She was totally upside down for a while, but after I went to try and stimulate her, she righted herself and is currently floating the correct way at the surface. She doesn't seem able to swim down really at all. She's been getting smaller soaked amounts as she was constipated from the rocks and has been fine, and I gave her a normal amount and it was a bad idea. She hasn't been pooping a ton, but I haven't been feeding a ton. I got my brother to remove the rocks that my nails wouldn't let me remove yesterday and now there isn't even a single rock. There were only like a few teensy bits that I couldn't get, but I think she ate some more of them :( All gone now. Hopefully this means she will be okay. Will be fasting her for a while, then more peas. She also has a habit of surface gulping sometimes, so I've re-added her airstone hoping it'll help.

Thanks! I thought only peas worked. Idk if she can really eat, she's struggling. I'll try ASAP. Needed to go get peas, but pretty sure I have some green beans on hand.

PS - Idk if I've ever told you this Koko, but that girl has the sweetest face I've ever seen. I can imagine her being mega gentle with animals and finding everything funny lol.

Edited by mjfromga

• Admin

Thanks! I thought only peas worked. Idk if she can really eat, she's struggling. I'll try ASAP. Needed to go get peas, but pretty sure I have some green beans on hand.

PS - Idk if I've ever told you this Koko, but that girl has the sweetest face I've ever seen. I can imagine her being mega gentle with animals and finding everything funny lol.

Green beans are normally suggested as it really cleans them out. Kinda like when you eat to much green foods like spinach lol

Dont need to give to much :)

Thank you hun. Shes a handful and she does laugh at alot of thing alot of the time :rofl

Green beans are normally suggested as it really cleans them out. Kinda like when you eat to much green foods like spinach lol

Dont need to give to much :)

Thank you hun. Shes a handful and she does laugh at alot of thing alot of the time :rofl

Nericon loves veggies, she quickly turned and wobbled around the tank to gobble down all the beans. Shes back to drifting and floating around :( Hopefully she will make an improvement. I feel bad for not realizing what she was doing sooner. Rookie error since all my other fish were babies and raised with the gravel and are fine.

Koko - thanks a ton. Not only did Nericon absolutely LOVE the beans, a decent sized bit of rock came out and she's 100% back to normal. ARGH. My brother did help me take out ALL the tiny rock bits so she should be good now. Eating rocks? Gosh really?

• Admin

Koko - thanks a ton. Not only did Nericon absolutely LOVE the beans, a decent sized bit of rock came out and she's 100% back to normal. ARGH. My brother did help me take out ALL the tiny rock bits so she should be good now. Eating rocks? Gosh really?

:I-Thank-You::happydance

Silly girl!! Hopefully all the rocks are out of her system now!

They are and she's back to normal. WHY?!? She will literally eat every little piece of rock she sees in the tank. The tiny bits don't hurt her, but she swallowed a few bigger bits and they got stuck. She's back to Repashy Soilent Green and doing great. Her vent was slightly protruding after passing rocks, but it looks normal now. AGH rock eating girly. So very, very silly. Have decided to just keep her in the 20 gallon bare bottom permanently.

I was going to try to switch the main tank to sand and see if she'd be able to go back in there, but decided against it. She seems happier by herself. Boo Boo was mean to her immensely. The main tank is much calmer now that she's out. My water bills will be higher and the bucket changes suck, but I'll deal with it for my girly. No point in letting Boo Boo stress her out or killing her by feeding her rocks.