Something's happening in my tank

I don't know what's happening but everyone is showing symptoms

I had a thread a few weeks ago about Frank who was swollen and dropsied. It's here http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/123874-possible-infectiondropsy/

Frank is fine now. I assumed it was due to his filter intake accident. I water dosed baytril, but remained skeptical as to whether it was the baytril that was helping him as by all accounts it probably shouldn't have been. I treated for 14 days, then had him 1/2 tsp Epsom per 10g for a week (I couldn't use this while the baytril was in the water). He's had 4 days of plain clean water now and still going strong.

As for the other two....

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrite Level(Tank). 0

* Nitrate level(Tank). <5

* Ammonia Level(Tap). 0

* Nitrite Level(Tap). 0

* Nitrate level(Tap). 0

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) not sure right now, i ran out of test stuff for ph

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) as above

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Colombo drops

* Water temperature? 19-22

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 140L, 8 months or so

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquapro super fish I think

* How often do you change the water and how much? Twice weekly, 50 -80%

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Sat, 50%

* How many fish in the tank and their size? Three, 6cm, 7cm, 10cm sl. Franks been in qt for 3.5 weeks

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Aquasafe

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Pcp fellers, mosquito larvae, home made gel food, they eat the plants and algae. I feed once daily

* Any new fish added to the tank? Not for 5 months

* Any medications added to the tank? No

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Have done a few rounds of prazi over the last few months, I always follow the instructions but a couple of months later they start flashing and scratching again. Finished the last one in the tank about 2 weeks ago

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Fiona now has some black fins and Dudits has had a few small tears over the last month

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Dudits has been a little lethargic and hovers a little, But otherwise nothing.

Dudits seemed a little slower than usual this week so I'd been keeping a close eye on her and last night noticed her scales had raised slightly. It's really hard to see much with them in the tank.

We started inspecting the tank and noticed that a few areas of the backing look to be breaking down! I always assumed it was wood but my bf said it was plastic. Frank spends all day eating algae off this wall. Dudits spends less time but definately eats a lot of that algae. I'm now wondering whether it's the backing that's poisoning them. Fiona never eats the algae and has no swelling or dropsy symptoms.

We went out last night and purchased another 2 quarantine tanks so we could get them out of the tank. When I took them out this morning I could see Dudits is a bit swollen and slightly pine coned.

image_zpsxfoapmiz.jpeg

image_zpsnq0nq95h.jpeg

Fiona surprised me, her fins are blackened. I really couldn't see it in the tank. But there's quite a bit of black. My tank ammonia is always zero.

image_zpsm2hua2pb.jpeg

image_zpsgskz9mug.jpeg

I only had one other airpump so I currently have Dudits and Fiona together in 10g qt. I've added 1/2 tsp of Epsom for Dudits. I didn't want to add them in with Frank incase it is bacterial and contagious.

We're in the process of trying to buy a new tank so if Dudits heals up in clean water I think I'll keep them in qt until we get the new one, incase it is the plastic.

Any thoughts on what might be happening? I guess the plastic seems logical? I'm not sure it'd cause blackened fins? Is there anything else, other than ammonia that can cause this? Could it still be bacterial?

Thoughts and recommendations? There's so many possibilities I'm a bit overwhelmed hehe.

Thanks speckles. It's so frustrating :(

They actually behave fine, except Dudits hovering more than usual. They're generally active, eating and pooping normally, no clamping whatsoever. Frank was exactly the same, even when completely swollen and pineconed!

And Fiona isn't showing symptoms like the other two but her fins are black. Dudits beautiful long white fins have no discolouration at all, but she has some tears.

I really don't understand it :/

The filters been about six weeks, I think... Maybe a slightly longer. I normally do it monthly but I've been so busy I've rushed through the water changes. I had it written down to make suew I did it this weekend. It gets really manky with all the plants they shred.

I'll definately get a ph kit tomorrow and let you know.

I got the ph test. I previously had strips, which I know are inaccurate, but money was tight for a while there and they were consistently inaccurate, so I wanted to finish them. The strips showed 7.2 for both tap and tank.

The only drop test we could get today goes up in 0.5 increments.

Both tap and tank ph are between 7.5 and 8. The colour was exactly the same on both.

No problem, thanks koko :)

Just checking you saw I've taken the fish out and have them in quarantine. Frank in one and Dudits and Fiona in another. Would I be better to actually empty out the tank, rinse off the gravel (in tank water obviously) and just generally give it a good clean without killing off the bb's? Or should the water changes be enough?

Here you go. It's actually a bit embarrassing lol. I usually scrub the glass once a fortnight, by which point there's some decent algae, that would have been this weekend so it's in full bloom lol. The plants are also sad because I've stupidly left the light off since the fish have been out.

image_zpsqhhmmcon.jpeg

The pathetic plant on the right was a big bushy new plant 5 months ago... That's how much they destroy plants lol.

Edited to say there's a thin layer of fertiliser soil under the plants so I don't think that's all gravel depth

Edited by ChrissieA

• Admin

At the beginning, so 8-9 months ago ?

Well my thoughts hun.

If the plants arent doing well in there. I would start removing it slowly out of the tank. I really dont think its helping much at this point.

Im thinking you got some kind of bacteria in the tank. If we get rid of the plant soil for now I think this will help.

Ok. What do you mean by remove it slowly?

Am I able to just empty the tank and take it all out?

I won't be able to do this until next weekend but everyone seems happy n quarantine in the meantime

• Admin

Ok. What do you mean by remove it slowly?

Am I able to just empty the tank and take it all out?

I won't be able to do this until next weekend but everyone seems happy n quarantine in the meantime

The only reason I said slowly is I dont want you to loose cycle.

If your filters are good then we might have a slight bump taking it all at the same time.

So we can do is slowly by taking a 4th out at a time, or if you think your filters can do it,  (you would have to keep an eye out on the water.) we can move the fish out and take all of it out at one time :)

make sure the filter's media is nice and wet through this all.

Yeah, the fish have been in quarantine tanks for 4 days or so now.

I'd probably rather just do it all in one go.

Out of curiosity, what is the chance the filter media is 'contaminated'. We've been looking for a bigger tank, I was going to transfer the media to the new tank, but i dont want to transfer whatever problem is in this tank to the new one.

• Admin

Yeah, the fish have been in quarantine tanks for 4 days or so now.

I'd probably rather just do it all in one go.

Out of curiosity, what is the chance the filter media is 'contaminated'. We've been looking for a bigger tank, I was going to transfer the media to the new tank, but i dont want to transfer whatever problem is in this tank to the new one.

You could always place a drop of Colloidal silver in the canister. This will kill bacteria that isnt good. :)

Get one that is 10ppm and place like 2 drops in :)